Author Topic: What detailing have you done today?  (Read 529591 times)

Offline kalimon

• I live here
  • My other car's a van
Re: What detailing have you done today?
« Reply #640 on: 03 July 2016, 20:55 »
Fantastic shots Rebecca. It's great to see the car from different angles.
Some of those images could be straight from a VW brochure :drool:
5 DR Mk 7 GTI PP
Carbon Grey, Dynaudio, Car Net App, High Beam Assist, Rear View Camera. Collected 14/03/16

Offline JamesR27

• Here all the time
« Reply #641 on: 03 July 2016, 21:40 »
Brilliant job and great pics. I try my best to keep it looking nice but those results are just brilliant.
MK 7.5 R Pure White, Pretoria Silver, DCC, Rear Camera.
Gone - MK 7 GTI Carbon Grey, Rear Camera, Service Pack.
Gone - MK 6 GTI  Reflex Silver, Monza Shadows, RCD 510, Rear Camera, Bluetooth, Tyre Pressure Sensor, Xenons Convenience pack, Service Pack :)
Gone - MK 5 GTI Reflex Silver, Monza II 18's, Luxury Pack, Mulitchanger

Offline remlapeel

• I live here
« Reply #642 on: 03 July 2016, 21:53 »
I have been busy a lot recently upping my detailing game. I have done a lot of research and purchased some new stuff.

Karcher K2 and snow foam lance
Das6Pro DA Polisher with 5" and 6" backing plates
Meguaires cutting compound
Megauires Finishing wax
Fusso Sealant
Massive array of MF cloths
IronX
RainX
Megauires endurance tyre gel

Here are a few shots

2015 MK7 Golf R 3 door, DSG, lapiz blue, 19" wheels, winter pack, keyless entry, dynaudio and high beam assist.

Offline Booth11

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #643 on: 03 July 2016, 22:21 »
^^

Looks fantastic remlapeel.  :cool:  A pillars have come up really well, they are a pain for showing swirls being plastic, but at least you can DA them fairly regularly (more than the paintwork).

Some good stuff on your list.  Same DA as I have. Is it the Meguiars Microfibre system pads and compounds you are using?  I've switched to that a few months back to simplify things a little from my previous pad/polish combo.

Great work. 
Black Beauty: MK7 R 5dr DSG, DBP, 19" Pretoria, DCC, Vienna leather, Keyless, Dynaudio, DNS Pro, Rear camera, HBA
2012 MK6 GTI DSG
2008 MK5 GTI DSG
2005 MK5 GTI Manual

https://www.flickr.com/photos/booth11

Offline Booth11

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #644 on: 03 July 2016, 22:25 »
Stunning job!

Cheers Watts.  :smiley:

Can't have too many photos of your work Rebecca!  :wink:

Did a good wash on mine, today. Very impressed with Wo Wo drying microfibre towels. I have 2 now and I can dry the whole car, fast enough to prevent water marks, even in today's sun, without even wringing one out! Only have to blot the car to suck off the water, so no chance of causing any swirls. Definitely a convert, after a lifetime of using the old chamois leather!

Sorry, got a bit carried away with the pics. Promise not to post any for a while.  :embarrassed:

WoWo towels are the best. What they lack in size they more than make up for in absorbency.  Have you committed the chamois to the bin now?  :laugh:
Black Beauty: MK7 R 5dr DSG, DBP, 19" Pretoria, DCC, Vienna leather, Keyless, Dynaudio, DNS Pro, Rear camera, HBA
2012 MK6 GTI DSG
2008 MK5 GTI DSG
2005 MK5 GTI Manual

Offline Booth11

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #645 on: 03 July 2016, 22:32 »
Fantastic shots Rebecca. It's great to see the car from different angles.
Some of those images could be straight from a VW brochure :drool:

Thanks kalimon.  I had to go up to my other half industrial unit to pick something up today and it was deserted so took the opportunity to take a few photos.

Brilliant job and great pics. I try my best to keep it looking nice but those results are just brilliant.

Thanks James.  I'm sure yours looks great.  It's nice to have it clean again after 3 weeks of grime - it was getting to me, lol.  Every time I wanted to wash it it's been raining but the weather was kind today so grabbed the chance to get another coat of wax on it too.  Uncharacteristically it didn't chuck it down the minute I finished.
2012 MK6 GTI DSG
2008 MK5 GTI DSG
2005 MK5 GTI Manual

Offline dave7268

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #646 on: 03 July 2016, 22:37 »
And then, finally a break in the bizarre weather and a chance to give it a clean and a coat of wax.

Full wash and wax:
Wheels and tailpipes sprayed with Bilberry Wheel Cleaner
ValetPro Advanced Neutral Snow Foam and lance using DI water
DI water pressure rinse
Wheels washed with DJ Supernatural Shampoo, WoWo Wheel Mitt and Wheel Woollies
2 bucket wash (DI water) with Swissvax Car Bath Shampoo and WoWo Lambswool Wash Mitt
DI water pressure wash rinse
DI water open ended hose rinse
Bodywork dried with WoWo Drying Towel
Wheels dried with WoWo Wheel Towel
Entire car (except glass and wheels) waxed with one coat of Swissvax Crystal Rock high carnauba content wax – applied with DJ finger wax applicator and buffed on with WoWo microfibers
Tailpipes polished with Mothers Mag and Aluminium Polish
Tyres dressed with one coat of Achem Hi Shine Longlife Tyre Dressing
Glass protected with Gtechniq C2v3

All clean now….

Wow, absolutely stunning.... please come and do my car  :drool:

Curious.... just how long did this mere task take you?
7GTI PP DSG - no longer

Offline Booth11

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #647 on: 03 July 2016, 22:58 »
And then, finally a break in the bizarre weather and a chance to give it a clean and a coat of wax.

Full wash and wax:
Wheels and tailpipes sprayed with Bilberry Wheel Cleaner
ValetPro Advanced Neutral Snow Foam and lance using DI water
DI water pressure rinse
Wheels washed with DJ Supernatural Shampoo, WoWo Wheel Mitt and Wheel Woollies
2 bucket wash (DI water) with Swissvax Car Bath Shampoo and WoWo Lambswool Wash Mitt
DI water pressure wash rinse
DI water open ended hose rinse
Bodywork dried with WoWo Drying Towel
Wheels dried with WoWo Wheel Towel
Entire car (except glass and wheels) waxed with one coat of Swissvax Crystal Rock high carnauba content wax – applied with DJ finger wax applicator and buffed on with WoWo microfibers
Tailpipes polished with Mothers Mag and Aluminium Polish
Tyres dressed with one coat of Achem Hi Shine Longlife Tyre Dressing
Glass protected with Gtechniq C2v3

All clean now….

Wow, absolutely stunning.... please come and do my car  :drool:

Curious.... just how long did this mere task take you?

Thanks.  :smiley:

It took 2.5 hours in total, including a couple breaks for cups of tea.
2012 MK6 GTI DSG
2008 MK5 GTI DSG
2005 MK5 GTI Manual

Offline remlapeel

• I live here
« Reply #648 on: 03 July 2016, 23:10 »
^^

Looks fantastic remlapeel.  :cool:  A pillars have come up really well, they are a pain for showing swirls being plastic, but at least you can DA them fairly regularly (more than the paintwork).

Some good stuff on your list.  Same DA as I have. Is it the Meguiars Microfibre system pads and compounds you are using?  I've switched to that a few months back to simplify things a little from my previous pad/polish combo.

Great work.

Thanks!

I have a video walk around after its paint correction and full detail I did over 2 weekends, which I'll upload tomorrow, shows the true condition of the paint.

I got a kit from cleanyourcar with pads and some 300/301 compound and finishing wax. Although next time I'll get some 105/205 which have amazing reviews.

Have you seen the reviews for Fusso yet? Unreal stuff!

Really getting into this detailing stuff.
2015 MK7 Golf R 3 door, DSG, lapiz blue, 19" wheels, winter pack, keyless entry, dynaudio and high beam assist.

Offline Booth11

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #649 on: 04 July 2016, 00:06 »
^^

Great work.

Thanks!

I have a video walk around after its paint correction and full detail I did over 2 weekends, which I'll upload tomorrow, shows the true condition of the paint.

I got a kit from cleanyourcar with pads and some 300/301 compound and finishing wax. Although next time I'll get some 105/205 which have amazing reviews.

Have you seen the reviews for Fusso yet? Unreal stuff!

Really getting into this detailing stuff.

Yeah the 300/301 plus cutting and finishing pads is the the Megs Microfibre DA Correction System.  I'll be using it on mine with the DAS-6 Pro Plus come early autumn, most likely to do a 2 stage refinement polish as not much in the way of swirls or scratches, so no real correction required as yet.  I'll be using only the MF Finishing pad (5") with some Sonax Perfect Finish compound and then a final 'jewelling' polish with my Meguiars 205 compound on another finishing MF pad. 

Seen lots about Fusso, looks great stuff and others on here use it, but not tempted as into Swissvax waxes atm.

Sounds like you have been bitten by the detailing bug! 
2012 MK6 GTI DSG
2008 MK5 GTI DSG
2005 MK5 GTI Manual