Author Topic: Replace Temp sender.  (Read 53608 times)

Offline richw911

• 10k hero
  • The Linkmeister and an OEM Freak.
Replace Temp sender.
« on: 06 August 2008, 19:17 »
A very common fault on vw engines is the temp sender can fail.

This can cause poor running and MPG etc because the engines ecu thinks the temp is different to what it actually is and it then makes wrong adjustments.

It is Two temp senders in one, It not only displays temp gauge reading on your clocks it also gives the ECU a temp reading for starting ect at different temps. cold, hot, warm.

The usual symptom is the temp needle will drop off when driven (Not always though) -It Should sit at 90c. The car can also suffer poor MPG.

It will also throw up this code on a scan with vag com or a code reader:

16500 - Engine Coolant Temp. Sensor (G62): Implausible Signal

It can throw up 3 fault codes!

P0116
 Engine Coolant Temp.Circ Range/Performance =dead short faulty! temp gauge either doesnt work or reads high! could be loom fault. its like its unplugged.

P0117
 Engine Coolant Temp.Circ Low Input = the temp goes to the ECU for cold start ect, so troublesome starting and cutting out. The ECU gets the wrong fuel/air ratio's jumping all over the place. THIS FAULT DOES NOT SHOW ON TEMP GAUGE.

P0118
 Engine Coolant Temp.Circ High Input = this temp never rises from cold, this means rich running, erratic idle, and low miles to the gallon ect. THIS FAULT DOES NOT SHOW ON TEMP GAUGE!

Easy fix - Ten minute job (1.8T AGU shown wont be much different on any mk4 engine TBH) :

Wait until the car is cold before you proceed, this is important if you want to limit coolant loss and not burn yourself.

You will need a large phillips head screw driver rotate the retaining screws on the top cover, each is circled below, they should pop up :

Now do the same for the three screws on the other cover. The sensor is under the top right screw :

Unplug the wiring loom from the sensor - give it a squeeze right at the top, it will lift a hook allowing you to pull the plug off.

Check you have the same colour/pin type. There are spade fitment (blue) and pin fitment (green).

VW Part numbers : sensor 059919501A - Green And old style blue :  059919501
Both cost about £20

"C" clip:  032121142  cost about about 40p

To the right of the sensor housing you will see a clip, pull this to the right, it may be tight, but should pop off. Its advisable to buy a spare while you get the part, they cost 40p and could save you a head ache. Tug on the sensor, it should pop out spilling minimal coolant in the process.

Take your new sensor and rubber compression ring, push it back into the housing, whilst keeping downward pressure applied, push the clip back in, taking care to insert it into the gap provided, this should hold the sensor snuggly in place and stop it popping back out. If you can tug it out, you've done something wrong.

Diesel engine.

http://www.golfgtiforum.co.uk/index.php?topic=100431.0  :wink:

The writer of this guide and GolfGTI.co.uk accept no responsibility of damage to your car when using this guide. Use at your own risk.

« Last Edit: 16 July 2012, 23:00 by richw911 »

MKIV Mod Squad™ a part of the headlight police.

Offline T_J_G

• Serious forum addict
Re: Replace Temp sender.
« Reply #1 on: 27 November 2008, 12:56 »
My symptons haven't thrown up a fault code. However im replacing it to rule it out.

Genuine temp sensor can be had on ebay for less than half the price.

Offline theshrew

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #2 on: 09 January 2009, 11:32 »
Its your stat thats stuck open from what you have said mate.

I did mine about 3 weeks ago had same problem. Part cost just over £5 you need to save your antifreeze that comes out or buy some new.

Bit of a fiddly job but its not that bad wont take you long to do.

Offline Rhyso

• Global Moderator
  • Sir Postalot
« Reply #3 on: 09 January 2009, 11:45 »
Its your stat thats stuck open from what you have said mate.

I did mine about 3 weeks ago had same problem. Part cost just over £5 you need to save your antifreeze that comes out or buy some new.

Bit of a fiddly job but its not that bad wont take you long to do.

he knows and he wrote this as a result

http://www.golfgtiforum.co.uk/index.php?topic=101783.0

:smiley:

Offline jamesg1990

• Not said much yet
  • 18 and on his second Golf GTi!
« Reply #4 on: 02 February 2009, 23:20 »
Excellent thread!

Fitted my replacement tonight after Rhyso plugged into my car at the meet!

Cheers fellas.

Offline richw911

• 10k hero
« Reply #5 on: 03 February 2009, 18:23 »
Excellent thread!

Cheers fellas.

Good work :afro: Dont forget to clear the fault code  :wink:

Offline jamesg1990

• Not said much yet
  • 18 and on his second Golf GTi!
« Reply #6 on: 03 February 2009, 18:59 »
Excellent thread!

Cheers fellas.

Do I need a vag-com to do this or is there an easier way with no kit needed?!

Offline richw911

• 10k hero
« Reply #7 on: 03 February 2009, 19:02 »
Excellent thread!

Cheers fellas.

Do I need a vag-com to do this or is there an easier way with no kit needed?!

Get one of these :

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/OBD2-VW-Audi-SEAT-SKODA-VAG-Fault-Code-Reader-Scanner_W0QQitemZ280307306909QQcmdZViewItemQQptZUK_Diagnostic_Tools_Equipment?hash=item280307306909&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14&_trkparms=72%3A1689|66%3A2|65%3A12|39%3A1|240%3A1318

Not a patch on vagcom but its cheap - reads and clears fault codes :afro:

Offline GIJo

• Not said much yet
« Reply #8 on: 22 September 2010, 13:54 »
Hey,

Sorry to drag up an old thread but I've got a similar problem. My car takes forever to warm up and has got really bad mpg. After searching here for info, I changed the thermostat (twice in case i did it wrong/had a faulty one 1st time!) and I've changed the temp sender. I'm selling the car so I just want to put it right before she goes. Any ideas guys?

Thanks

Offline cerebral

• Not said much yet
« Reply #9 on: 29 May 2015, 16:22 »
Just replaced mine, left the car a couple hours to cool down. Struggled to get the wiring loom off the sensor so took the c clip out first (eased it with screw driver) and pulled the sensor out, minimal coolant loss, then took the loom off and replaced.

Went for a quick test drive and all seems ok, the real test will be a cold start in the morning when for the first mile or so it stutters a bit, hoping the mpg will improve too.

Thanks for the guide!