Author Topic: Rocker gasket  (Read 1025 times)

Offline 1.8Tgolf_Chris

• Here all the time
  • Mk4 1.8t AUM
Rocker gasket
« on: 08 November 2014, 12:30 »
Had an oil leak for so long now, suspect the rocker gasket as it looks a right state anyway and easiest thing to change
Wondering if u have to change the gasket around the spark plugs at the same time, mine isnt leaking so i dont want to do more than i need to
Also, use gasket sealent or not?  Read many forums some have, some havent not heard anyone saying i didnt use sealent and my gasket hasnt leaked a year later
Cheers

Offline Mr_Orange

• I live here
  • MK4 GTi Turbo Exclusive 150 AUM
Re: Rocker gasket
« Reply #1 on: 09 November 2014, 09:57 »
The rocker cover gasket usually comes as a kit with both outer and inner (spark plug) one. You have access to both when you take the cover off, so pretty foolish to not do both. Why not apply sealant for a couple more quid? :/
It would be half a job if you didn't also do the chain tensioner gasket.
Torque it down correctly too.

Build thread clicky

Offline 1.8Tgolf_Chris

• Here all the time
  • Mk4 1.8t AUM
« Reply #2 on: 09 November 2014, 12:09 »
The rocker cover gasket usually comes as a kit with both outer and inner (spark plug) one. You have access to both when you take the cover off, so pretty foolish to not do both. Why not apply sealant for a couple more quid? :/
It would be half a job if you didn't also do the chain tensioner gasket.
Torque it down correctly too.

Bought just the single gasket from ECP i suppose i could change the spark plug gasket as well, Cant seem to find this chain tensioner gasket though also dont have a torque wrench was gonna just nip it up same sort of way you do the spark plugs i thought

Offline Mr_Orange

• I live here
  • MK4 GTi Turbo Exclusive 150 AUM
« Reply #3 on: 10 November 2014, 17:50 »
Is this on a 1.8t? Is the oil leak on the side of the head nearest the airbox? If so it is more than likely the tensioner gasket anyway. It comes as a kit with the half moon seal. Do some ebay bashing, although I'm sure the kit is only a couple of bucks from vw. This again requires gasket sealant. You'll require the tool to lift the tensioner, again this is only a couple of quid. You can probably tell I'm a kinda "do it right, do it once" sort of chap ;)

Build thread clicky