Author Topic: Newbie here... I need your opinions!  (Read 17822 times)

Offline Snoopy

• Serious forum addict
  • A.K.A. Geoff.
Re: Newbie here... I need your opinions!
« Reply #10 on: 02 November 2014, 20:09 »
If it was me id stick with the known quantity thats your GTD.
have a look at the photo thread at the top of the forum. Iirc both grey colours are shown there too. Just checked both shown on the first page of that thread.

Both the cars you linked too look carbon to me i would put that down to lighting.
« Last Edit: 02 November 2014, 20:15 by Snoopy »
Mk6 GTI  &  Mk1 GTI 
34 years of GTI ownership.

Offline yabot

• Not said much yet
« Reply #11 on: 02 November 2014, 20:31 »
If it was me id stick with the known quantity thats your GTD.
have a look at the photo thread at the top of the forum. Iirc both grey colours are shown there too. Just checked both shown on the first page of that thread.

Both the cars you linked too look carbon to me i would put that down to lighting.

I'm being retarded... where is the photo thread sorry? Could you possibly link it? Thanks pal
2011 3dr Mk6 GTI in CSG - Manual - RNS510/Bluetooth - Winter Pack - Optical Parking Assist - 18'' BBS SR Satin Grey - Few other bits' n bobs

Offline Snoopy

• Serious forum addict
  • A.K.A. Geoff.
Mk6 GTI  &  Mk1 GTI 
34 years of GTI ownership.

Offline Snooze

• I live here
« Reply #13 on: 02 November 2014, 21:16 »
You should get a Gti with 18's too. The 17's look naff imo.
2015 Mk7 Golf Gti 3dr Manual, Carbon Steel Grey, Michelin PS4's

Offline yabot

• Not said much yet
« Reply #14 on: 02 November 2014, 21:50 »
You should get a Gti with 18's too. The 17's look naff imo.

yeah i think they do, got the 17's on my gtd and they need to go! think i'll be looking at getting the BBS anthracite ones or 35 Edition alloys in anthracite 18's whether i stick with the GTD or go with the GTI.
2011 3dr Mk6 GTI in CSG - Manual - RNS510/Bluetooth - Winter Pack - Optical Parking Assist - 18'' BBS SR Satin Grey - Few other bits' n bobs

Offline golfhappy

• I live here
« Reply #15 on: 02 November 2014, 22:39 »
Those BBS do look like the ED35 alloys, either way they're a good upgrade.
Audi S1 gone, awaiting 1.5tsi r-line, pan roof, led lights front and rear, active dash, 18" jurva alloys and a dealer fitted Oettinger roof spoiler in tornado red.

Offline JayGTD

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #16 on: 03 November 2014, 10:30 »
Swap it in for the GTI mate. I have installed the HID LED DRL xenons on my GTD and I also have a carbon chiptuning remap plus a GTI backbox with the twin tailpipes. Can't fault the remap - it's amazing and the car pulls like heck but I honestly wish I'd have gone for a GTI or R instead now. Now that I can afford it, I'm considering swapping my gtd in for an R, or keep saving for an F30 M3, but I'm a bit of a boyracer.

The xenons took me forever to install properly.
You have either the OEM route which will cost you 4 figures and too much labour, or aftermarket reps which will cost you about £450. The coding is a pain in the ass cos every car is different somehow, and you also need to rewire your harness to get the LED's working as DRL's (cos they are wired as sidelights) which then you also need more coding for. Thankfully got mine all up and running but it still kicks out errors every now and then which is really annoying

If I would do it all over again, I would've just bought a GTI ed35 or one with xenons spec'd in and do a K04 turbo stage 3 for 300+bhp. I've pretty much maxed out my GTD - I could do a turbo swap from darksidedevelopment and get it to 350bhp but then it'll just throw soot everywhere everytime I accelerate

Deep black pearl GTD | 18" Charleston wheels | Kenwood DNX520VBT | VWR Springs | GTI backbox and diffuser | Red grill stripes | Bi-xenon LED Projector's with 6000K HID's | Full interior LED conversion | LED Number plate lights | Heko wind deflectors | JDM Broadway Rearview mirror | GTD Seat inserts | Stage 1+ remap | Vagcom gauge sweep | Vagcom large digital speedo | Vagcom teardrop wipers | WIFI OB2 connector w/ Dashcommands |

Offline GTIoxford

• Not said much yet
« Reply #17 on: 03 November 2014, 11:08 »
Yabot!

Drop me a message. My close friend is soon to be selling his GTi and is yet to advertise it. I reckon you might be interested, its a good one!

Thanks
Golf GT 170 TDi | Used to have a MK6 GTI | Insta/Twit: harryverran

Offline yabot

• Not said much yet
« Reply #18 on: 03 November 2014, 12:10 »
Swap it in for the GTI mate. I have installed the HID LED DRL xenons on my GTD and I also have a carbon chiptuning remap plus a GTI backbox with the twin tailpipes. Can't fault the remap - it's amazing and the car pulls like heck but I honestly wish I'd have gone for a GTI or R instead now. Now that I can afford it, I'm considering swapping my gtd in for an R, or keep saving for an F30 M3, but I'm a bit of a boyracer.

You have either the OEM route which will cost you 4 figures and too much labour, or aftermarket reps which will cost you about £450. The coding is a pain in the ass cos every car is different somehow, and you also need to rewire your harness to get the LED's working as DRL's (cos they are wired as sidelights) which then you also need more coding for. Thankfully got mine all up and running but it still kicks out errors every now and then which is really annoying

If I would do it all over again, I would've just bought a GTI ed35 or one with xenons spec'd in and do a K04 turbo stage 3 for 300+bhp. I've pretty much maxed out my GTD - I could do a turbo swap from darksidedevelopment and get it to 350bhp but then it'll just throw soot everywhere everytime I accelerate

Ah see that's what I'm fearing, that I'll always regret it! Either way though I'll have to take the Aftermarket route with the xenons as I won't be able to afford it on the car equipped. Just will have to pay off someone to do it properly for me I guess, as I'm still a noob  :huh: :huh:

Out of interest how you finding the carbon remap? Any issues? What's it like in 3rd 4th etc? And is the power delivery more instant now?

Cheers pal.
« Last Edit: 03 November 2014, 12:19 by yabot »

Offline JayGTD

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #19 on: 03 November 2014, 12:56 »

Ah see that's what I'm fearing, that I'll always regret it! Either way though I'll have to take the Aftermarket route with the xenons as I won't be able to afford it on the car equipped. Just will have to pay off someone to do it properly for me I guess, as I'm still a noob  :huh: :huh:

Out of interest how you finding the carbon remap? Any issues? What's it like in 3rd 4th etc? And is the power delivery more instant now?

Cheers pal.

Yep..i regret going diesel no matter how fantastic the GTD is. Problem was I thought I'd be relocating for my job so I bought a commuter, turns out I ended up 10 mins down the A1 lol.

The install for the xenons is really easy - took me 30 mins taking off the front bumper and switching out the headlamps. The hardest part is detaching the stock harness cos theyre stuck on pretty well. The worst part comes after with the coding. I could send you the codes I used when you get em if you like

The remap is really good: Revo remap is really aggressive and I thought that in the long run it probably would be damaging to the internals cos you get all the power in one massive lump then nothing further up. For Carbon's, its very smooth, very drivable and very easy to adapt to. Acceleration is best in 2nd and 3rd gear and you have so much torque that if you drive it aggressively you'll get wheel-spin even in 3rd gear. I dyno'd mine and I got 220bhp and 450 NM torque (ish), 0-60 takes 6.1 seconds on average, and you do get a slight bit of lag lower down the rev range but it kicks in really fast and holds the power until just before the redline, almost like a petrol. I've had car enthusiast friends who own evo 8, C63 amg and e92 m3 take my car for a spin and they couldn't believe how smooth the map was

But even then, I still wish I went for a GTI

Deep black pearl GTD | 18" Charleston wheels | Kenwood DNX520VBT | VWR Springs | GTI backbox and diffuser | Red grill stripes | Bi-xenon LED Projector's with 6000K HID's | Full interior LED conversion | LED Number plate lights | Heko wind deflectors | JDM Broadway Rearview mirror | GTD Seat inserts | Stage 1+ remap | Vagcom gauge sweep | Vagcom large digital speedo | Vagcom teardrop wipers | WIFI OB2 connector w/ Dashcommands |