Author Topic: recommend me a camera  (Read 1804 times)

VW BUSH

recommend me a camera
« on: 26 October 2013, 11:32 »
Recommend me a compact camera for around 300.
I do a lot of travelling so it needs to be hand luggage friendly and able to take good close up shots for work but able to take in landscapes and nature pics etc.
Currently have a little lumia which is fine for work stuff but a bit naff for when I get outside the factory im visiting.
I am a total noob so ease of use is a big factor for me.
I have no record of all the things I see and do and a huge empty hard drive. ....

Offline Diamond Hell

• Serious forum addict
  • Opinions я Us
Re: recommend me a camera
« Reply #1 on: 27 October 2013, 13:08 »
Fuji X20

Sony RX100

Both have fast lenses and large(er) sensors.  They also have a lot of clever sh*t in on-board image processing.  They also shoot raw.

I would have the X20 over the RX100 and buy one of these for it:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/JJC-ALC-X10-Auto-Fujifilm-FinePix/dp/B006VTQERM

The most annoying feature of the X10/20 is the pull off and lose lens cap.
Just because you're offended doesn't make you right.

Holiday cottages on the Isle of Wight for 2-10 people? PM me.

Offline Ridg

• I live here
  • TDI - Soot Happens!
« Reply #2 on: 27 October 2013, 15:22 »
you might want to consider the super zoom type too, something like;

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Panasonic-Lumix-DMC-TZ40EB-K-Compact-Camera/dp/B00BET11MM/ref=sr_1_7?s=photo&ie=UTF8&qid=1382886459&sr=1-7

that will give you a 20x zoom over the 4 or 5x you're going to get on a prosumer type camera that focus on IQ opposed from versatility.

The downside of the travel compacts / superzoom is the image processing wont be as good as the likes of the X20, G16, coolpix 7800 etc however they offer the zoom levels that you might want whilst travelling.

If you're mainly taking landscape photos / close up stuff go for the IQ (what DH said) over the versatility, if you want something that can do everything then consider the travel compacts.

VW BUSH

« Reply #3 on: 27 October 2013, 16:11 »
Cheers, I will go and have a play with them down the local Currys to get a feel before looking for the best deals.
That's a neat looking lens cover :cool:
My dad has a Cannon with all the bells and whistles on cost nearly a grand new, I have had a play with that but its far too good for me at this stage I keep taking odd out of focus looking pictures with it :grin:
But its there when I get a bit better :smiley:

Offline Diamond Hell

• Serious forum addict
  • Opinions я Us
« Reply #4 on: 27 October 2013, 20:53 »
FFS don't go to Currys - at least go to John Lewis, or even better a dedicated photography shop where people will have opinions and allow you to have a play.
Just because you're offended doesn't make you right.

Holiday cottages on the Isle of Wight for 2-10 people? PM me.

Offline ajmoir36

• I live here
« Reply #5 on: 27 October 2013, 21:35 »
I have a Panasonic TZ20 and its good but the ISO and image quality isn't that good.  Now don't get me wrong its better than the Olympus u820 I had. But I never thought it was as good as my 2Mp Canon Ixus 300.

This website is fairly good at comparing cameras and there specs

http://snapsort.com/explore/best-digital-cameras
Diagonally parked in a parallel universe.
On Order: Mk8 R, Pure White, Reversing Camera, Harmon Kardon, Heated seats all round.
Gone: Mk7.5 R, 5dr, DSG, Deep Pearl Black, 18” Cadiz, Nav, Winter Pack, Keyless, Dynaudio and Reversing camera.
Gone: Mk7 R, 5dr, DSG, Limestone Grey, 19" Pretoria's, Nav Pro, DCC, Winter Pack, Keyless, Mobile Prep and Reversing Camera.
Gone: Mk6 GTD, 5dr, Manual, Tornado Red, 18" Vancouvers, RCD510 + Dynaudio, heated seats.

VW BUSH

« Reply #6 on: 27 October 2013, 22:21 »
FFS don't go to Currys - at least go to John Lewis, or even better a dedicated photography shop where people will have opinions and allow you to have a play.

Yeah I know it sucks but I'm lazy and I have to pick up a 40k book next door lol
I will be up town in a week or so and know a good shop who will let me fiddle

Offline legg360

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #7 on: 02 December 2013, 22:58 »
Did you decide on a camera?

Ive got a Nikon D3200 its a decent little camera at the budget end of the DSLR range so can buy an extra lens if you get into photography, its got a very good auto setting if you want to let the camera do all the work but also has most of the features of the expensive cameras if you wanna have a play around it.

Summary I think its a good started budget DSLR for someone whos wants to have a play around but doesn't wanna spend a fortune at only £309 from jessops.
Golf GTI MK6 5dr Manual - Candy White with Jacara Cloth, Vancouver 18" Alloys, RNS 510, Cruise Control, Carbon Vinyl Wrap Roof, Milltek 3" Race Cat Back.