Author Topic: Would like opinions!  (Read 2830 times)

Offline TheRaven

• I live here
  • "I am female, I think the boobs are a giveaway..."
Re: Would like opinions!
« Reply #10 on: 02 October 2013, 09:35 »
Cheers guys, excellent advise, I will work through then now!

In regards to price, when I cover equestrian events, the volume of prints I sell is quite high, but people only want at local show level, a 6x4 shot to keep with their rosettes, because they are the sizes that they sell at the shows for about £15. So undercutting that a little and keeping the quality good is better. I am always up and down on prices, whether it is too much for some people or too litlle for others, but I find I have found a nice middle ground, people are buying posters and canvases from me and people are buying small prints. So it's all good! :)

Ok, check it out now guys, not including that all the pictures aren't up.

How easy do you find it to navigate to buying the photographs?
Professional Freelance Equestrian Photographer

www.ravenphotography.co.uk
www.ravenphotography.uk

Offline Cory

• Here all the time
« Reply #11 on: 21 October 2013, 18:50 »
site looks good!

i couldn't find the piece of text mentioned above though? have you edited
that out already? i have made a few small observations that could help you
with improving it a little though if you don't mind me saying?
not being a know it all, just trying to help =)

the first thing i noticed was the strange line spacing between the text on the 'home'
page the gap between the base lines is very large considering the body of text looks
to be set at around 18pt. which traditionally would give you a leading size of around 21pt.
whereas the text on your page looks to have a lead size of about 36pt (this basically
means the space between the lines of text)

it will do wonders for that section of text if you reduced the space between the lines.
will will increase legibility as the shapes in the textured background image have a smaller
chance of interfering with letterforms/shapes

also, if you look at any printed material, you will notice that each line of text has around 11
words on it. give or take 1-2. try using this with your text and it will improves how it looks
on the page.

also, with the photo of yourself on the home page, mixed in with all the other elements. it
almost looks sort of like a BIO page, if that makes sense? maybe it would be an idea to put
a bio page in so that you have a section to inform potential clients about what you do, and
what you have to offer.

this is a something that i personally dont understand, and at design school was told never to do.
which is - i dont understand why people go out, spend a lot of time and effort taking great
photos - which yours are! and then destroy them with a giant watermark. its a page you've
created to show case your work, but your kind of covering it up? is there no way to build in
some form of protection, in whatever it is your using to build the site to stop people saving the
images from your site?

i know when we were taught some html at uni there was coding to do that, but i cant for the
life of me remember what it was. i could try look through my notes for it, but cant promise ill
find it. - but like i say, its just something that baffles me.

something i thought could be cool, is maybe have your watermark as a title for a home page
with a full screen image ay your home page, with some sort of menu set as a navigation tool
as a header?i noticed that when traveling from your home screen to other pages, that the layout
of the page changes format slightly. if possible i would try and keep the format of every page
virtually the same if possible. it basically just aids functionality and navigation throughout the site.

i know it sounds stupid, maybe it is, i dunno. but i always try to avoid labeling myself as 'professional'
i dont know why, i just dont like it. maybe its something i picked up from design school, but in my own
practice when i approach new clients i introduce myself as a freelance designer/photographer, as well
as stating that on my business card.

anyways, again, im not being pretentious, or trying to act like i know better than you. just some pointers!
i have a page for my creative work also! www.corymcdonnell.wix.com/design
feel free to take a look at tell me what you think. it is a work in progress too, and needs updating with
post uni work, but all takes time as I'm sure you are aware!

cory =)

Offline tinman

• I live here
« Reply #12 on: 21 November 2013, 16:51 »
Cheers guys, excellent advise, I will work through then now!

In regards to price, when I cover equestrian events, the volume of prints I sell is quite high, but people only want at local show level, a 6x4 shot to keep with their rosettes, because they are the sizes that they sell at the shows for about £15. So undercutting that a little and keeping the quality good is better. I am always up and down on prices, whether it is too much for some people or too litlle for others, but I find I have found a nice middle ground, people are buying posters and canvases from me and people are buying small prints. So it's all good! :)

Ok, check it out now guys, not including that all the pictures aren't up.

How easy do you find it to navigate to buying the photographs?

Wouldn't worry about the 6*4 so much, the website covers every size and option anyway.

Navigation seems easy enough. Check out is where it really matters and that looks good. We used a solution up until this year which was probably losing up 30-50% of our sales as it was so bad. Changed to a new solution and it made a huge difference to our bottom line.

Are all those the photographs you take on an event? I do event photography for a living these days so I'm always interested in what other people do.