Author Topic: Who’s swapping their Mk7/7.5 then...  (Read 19972 times)

Offline jaceyboy

• I live here
Re: Who’s swapping their Mk7/7.5 then...
« Reply #40 on: 27 February 2020, 17:29 »
Those wheels are puke

MK7 GTi

Offline monkeyhanger

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #41 on: 27 February 2020, 17:42 »
I think they're going to have to discount MK8 Golfs heavily to outsell the Series 1 equivalent. The 1 series has gotten a little less ugly and the Golf has got more ugly. BMW won't make you wait an eternity for a performance model either. From what I've seen on paper, I'd pick the BMW.

Did you see what I wrote earlier about how this needs to be at least as loaded and priced slightly under the M135i if anyone is not going to opt for more power and AWD of the BMW?

I am not paying as much as a M135i for a GTI. I simply am not.

I don't care about post-purchase activation of features - not if its going to cost me more - I can't lease or PCP a post-purchase activation - thats cold hard cash.

It might not be a full purchase for extras if they are activated and can be deactivated at the end of a lease or PCP, you pay monthly for their use.

It's not all that practical for some extras - activating voice control (you buy a code from dealers to activate it for the Polo) doesn't cost VW much if you don't take it up. Putting a sunroof in on every car that may or may not be required would be dead money for VW in many cases of cars sold.

I personally think that 7.5TCR and performance MK8s are looking way over-priced.  Not sure the market will bear covering £22-25k* depreciation and interest on a PCP over 36 months for any Golf (£600+ pm equivalent, inclusive of deposit). You can lease a hell of a car for that money.

*£38k Golf GTI with a GFV of 48-50% of RRP at 3 years old, assuming RRP or close to it is paid on the brand new MK8.
« Last Edit: 27 February 2020, 17:51 by monkeyhanger »
Whey ya bugger! It's finally arrived after an 8 month wait....
MK7 R 5 door, manual, Lapiz Blue, Prets.

Offline fredgroves

• Serious forum addict
  • Professional Um Bongo drinker
« Reply #42 on: 27 February 2020, 19:06 »
Yes £600 a month to drive a golf is insane.

I guess like when phones became a thousand pound item impossible to pay on a one year contract, they simply extended it. Everyone is trying to illustrate car prices on a 48 month term now. I might accept that if they offered a four year warranty but the whole point of me having a new car is to eliminate risk of unforeseen bills. That fourth year could very expensive...
Current: Mk8 GTI DSG, Adelaides, DCC, HUD, HK, Winter Pack, Rear Camera.. Aka "HMS Weasel"

Gone: 2017 Mk7.5 GTD,manual, NavPro
Gone: 2014 Mk7 GTD, manual, NavPro, DCC

Offline Exonian

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #43 on: 27 February 2020, 19:33 »
Short answer to the original question: No, I can’t see me swapping out. There is very little about the design I like.
A pig in lipstick at the front. Bland in profile and from the rear.
I’ll await a possible Ed35/Clubsport prototype at Worthersee for release next year maybe and will be keen to see the R in July.
It’s not looking encouraging right now.

Longer answer:
Having had a good look at the photos and vids it’s just not attractive at all.
Looking at a mk8 GTI then an image of a 7/7.5 and its just no contest in favour of the earlier car.
This is the only time since the release of the mk3 GTI (I’m an on/off GTI owner for 33 Years) that I’ve felt the new model is a turd in comparison to the outgoing.

The tech might be improved in quantity but I’m not convinced it’s improved in usability by any means.

The interior quality looks like it’s going the wrong way.

I’ll give VW one thing, the design is certainly a bold gamble from the front end.
Pros: I do actually like the C’eed lights breaking up the basking shark gob a bit, and the seats are quite a nice shape, but as for the rest of it, it’ll take considerable time to grow to love that face.

‘23 8R
Serial white Golf owner

Offline Toeman

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #44 on: 27 February 2020, 20:24 »
Definitely won’t be looking to change. Looking at the pics my wife saw pictures of it and she is not interested in cars and her exact words were that is one ugly car

Offline skippy

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #45 on: 27 February 2020, 20:31 »
I am pleased I got my 7.5 in before production end. Like many on here, I am not 'wowed' by the new MK8. There are little bits here and there which I like, but as a whole package, I am not so sure.

I am certain in the metal, it will be more appealing, and for sure, they will still sell many of them no doubt. The disappearance of hydraulic struts for the bonnet is disappointing, but overall - pictures at least, I feel a little underwhelmed.
MK7.5 2020, Isaac Blue, standard spec

Gone but certainly not forgotten Candy White Scirocco 2.0 TSI

Offline dean5125

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #46 on: 27 February 2020, 21:28 »
Apologies if this has already been shared but....

https://youtu.be/aicWFRDOVFI

I’d hope CarWow had done the homework but a few things that surprised me if true, manual and 17” alloys! :huh:
2019 (68) GTI PERFORMANCE DSG - new baby
2016 (66) GOLF R DSG - gone but definitely not forgotten

Offline Guzzle

• I live here
« Reply #47 on: 27 February 2020, 22:10 »
The press release is here for anyone that's interested.

https://vwpress.co.uk/en-gb/releases/4156

Manual gearbox as standard is definitely correct (for GTi).

As has already been said, 17 inch wheels are standard, but may not be available in all markets.

Looks like i'm the only one that got hard plastic door cappings on the rear doors of my Mk7. Might have to take it back to VW, see what they say  :wink:
7.5 GTD

Offline mcmaddy

• Forum addict
« Reply #48 on: 27 February 2020, 22:43 »
Germany get 17s as standard but the UK will probably get 18s like it does now.
TCR, Pure Grey, DCC, Dynaudio and Climate Screen.

Offline fredgroves

• Serious forum addict
  • Professional Um Bongo drinker
« Reply #49 on: 27 February 2020, 22:46 »
That vw UK press release says that the bigger centre screen is standard on the performance golfs.... And here we go again, playing trying to guess which vw statement about spec is actually true. Only answered when someone actually gets one...
Current: Mk8 GTI DSG, Adelaides, DCC, HUD, HK, Winter Pack, Rear Camera.. Aka "HMS Weasel"

Gone: 2017 Mk7.5 GTD,manual, NavPro
Gone: 2014 Mk7 GTD, manual, NavPro, DCC