Author Topic: head unit not turning off with ignition.  (Read 6470 times)

Offline chrismac89

• GTI forum regular
head unit not turning off with ignition.
« on: 23 January 2011, 15:54 »
jus wired up head unit into my mk3 but it wont turn off with the ignition i know i need to switch the wires around but i dont have red and yellow wires.

any ideas anyone?
thanks in advance
chris

Offline new to vw

• Here all the time
Re: head unit not turning off with ignition.
« Reply #1 on: 23 January 2011, 18:30 »
Hi bud, you need to find out which wire's are 12v continuas and 12v switched (with the ignition switch)
Once you have found them you should be ok... :smiley: :smiley:
5 door 1.8t AUM

Offline tokemk4gti.t

• Here all the time
  • 2001 gti turbo :-)
« Reply #2 on: 25 January 2011, 01:42 »
get a multi-meter....turn off ignition go from ground to all wires find ure permanent live...turn ignition on 1 turn find ure switch live switch em around bobs ure uncle.

Offline polo6n222

• Here all the time
« Reply #3 on: 25 January 2011, 16:47 »
or look in the back f a haynes manual

Offline S11EPS

• I live here
  • No golfs here. Only a C63 mercedes
« Reply #4 on: 26 January 2011, 11:34 »
The red and yellow wires that you swap are part of the stereo loom, not the car loom.
The plugs shown in your photo's are the termination of the car loom.
They then plug into the ISO socket which is the termination (car end) of the stereo loom.

Do you have a loom for the stereo?
One end will be small (that plugs into head unit)
The other end will be large - that accepts those plugs as shown in your photos.
This loom will have red and yellow wires.
These are the wires to swap.

For the sake of the next owner of your car, please dont bugger about with the car wiring - there's nothing wrong with it.
The red and yellow wires of your stereo loom will be fitted with bullet connectors mid-way for this specific purpose.
« Last Edit: 26 January 2011, 11:36 by S11EPS »

The greatest leveller of them all - the Carousel

Offline chrismac89

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #5 on: 26 January 2011, 20:14 »
na i don't have a connector from this loom as these plugs go straight into the back of my headunit.
dw i havent touched anything and don't plan to lol.
chris

Offline Ruji

• GTI forum regular
  • Mk3 Golf GTi 8v (96) Anniversary Edition
« Reply #6 on: 27 January 2011, 02:23 »
U may have a JVC radio...possibly the 301...or any other that otherwise requires a str8 ISO to the back...or in your case...the original cars loom str8 to the back of it. Unfortunately...altho your plugs will certainly plug into your radio and it will power up...it wont hold the settings and presets and you will find it will reset everytime you switch off the vehicle as otherwise previously stated.
You can purchase a harness adaptor to switch the wires around for you...i believe there is one made for VW's that also incorporates a loose blue remote wire in the event of it you want also add on an aerial booster amplifier cable. i believe the part number from autoleads is "PC2-69-4"....alternatively you could implement the vauxhall alternative "PC2-04-4" which will also suffice.
Of course you will require a Male aerial adaptor PC5-27 for your FM/AM/MW/LW transmission. but am guessin you'v already sorted that.

If for some reason your head unit stil remains on even if ignition is off (of course you will have to remove the key completely to check this) then it could either mean that your LIVE signals from both wires are permanent or the radio you are fitting is not a new one and has been previously fitted to another vehicle that perhaps used ONE LIVE only and the back of the radio in question has the ability to change the fuse from its current position to a notch up (only if the fuse is vertically positioned..NOT horizontal) and has been modified to work with the previous vehicle and has to otherwise be put back to its original setting. (if that makes sense)
Why pay big bucks when you can do it yourself???
http://i224.photobucket.com/albums/dd23/rujiboy/WheelRefurbishmentProcess1.jpg
sig pic too large, see forum guidelines - admin