Author Topic: Bridge Cameras?  (Read 11976 times)

Offline cняis

• I live here
  • Know there's something burning over there...
Bridge Cameras?
« on: 29 March 2014, 17:54 »
Long time no post  :lipsrsealed:

So I promised to buy my better half a decent camera. She loves the look of a DSLR but will not (in a million years) get full use from one. Plus she'd probably drop it/lose it etc. I was considering an entry level Bridge camera, sub £200 with good picture quality. Heaps of manual options aren't necessary.

Any pointers?

I don't think a semi will give the same results

Offline ajmoir36

• I live here
Re: Bridge Cameras?
« Reply #1 on: 30 March 2014, 09:36 »
I know this isn't what you want but Asda was selling the Nikon 3100 for £189 last weekend with a 18-55mm lens. Not sure if its still that price but worth a try, seen in the Gloucester Asda.
Diagonally parked in a parallel universe.
On Order: Mk8 R, Pure White, Reversing Camera, Harmon Kardon, Heated seats all round.
Gone: Mk7.5 R, 5dr, DSG, Deep Pearl Black, 18” Cadiz, Nav, Winter Pack, Keyless, Dynaudio and Reversing camera.
Gone: Mk7 R, 5dr, DSG, Limestone Grey, 19" Pretoria's, Nav Pro, DCC, Winter Pack, Keyless, Mobile Prep and Reversing Camera.
Gone: Mk6 GTD, 5dr, Manual, Tornado Red, 18" Vancouvers, RCD510 + Dynaudio, heated seats.

Offline Ridg

• I live here
  • TDI - Soot Happens!
« Reply #2 on: 30 March 2014, 16:59 »
If she wont get the most from a dslr then she probably wont get the most from a bridge, get her a decent compact like the lumix tz40 be easier to use, packed full of features and quality for the price.

Offline cняis

• I live here
« Reply #3 on: 30 March 2014, 17:21 »
Thanks, although she 'wants' the DSLR look, only a touch more compact and easier to use.

I have just spied this bargain however:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B004MPQXZA/ref=noref?ie=UTF8&psc=1&s=photo

1100D any good? The kit lens will be fine plus I have several EF lenses she can interchange if she really wants to.

Offline Diamond Hell

• Serious forum addict
  • Opinions я Us
« Reply #4 on: 30 March 2014, 18:28 »
No.  Kit lens will be very limiting.

Bust the budget and roll with an X20:

www.digitalrev.com/product/fujifilm-x20/MTAwMjMwMQ_A_A

It is SUCH a good camera.  Was using mother's earlier.

Big advantage vs the DSLR and kit lens is that the lens on the X20 is highly optimised with the 'body' so you get a very fast lens for the money: F2-2.8

low light sensitivity is also excellent and it looks like an old-school range-finder camera.

It also has all of the modes you could wish for, if she gets in to things more and it can output raw files, too.

Also has very cool panorama mode and film simulation profiles for different effects straight outta the camera.

Seriously - you cannot go wrong with this camera, or even a secondhand X10
Just because you're offended doesn't make you right.

Holiday cottages on the Isle of Wight for 2-10 people? PM me.

Offline ajmoir36

• I live here
« Reply #5 on: 30 March 2014, 20:09 »
Thanks, although she 'wants' the DSLR look, only a touch more compact and easier to use.

1100D any good? The kit lens will be fine plus I have several EF lenses she can interchange if she really wants to.

Seems like a good idea and you are familiar with Canon. My Canon days started with a 450D and a kit lens, moved to the 7D and now the 5Dmk3. You have to start somewhere.
Diagonally parked in a parallel universe.
On Order: Mk8 R, Pure White, Reversing Camera, Harmon Kardon, Heated seats all round.
Gone: Mk7.5 R, 5dr, DSG, Deep Pearl Black, 18” Cadiz, Nav, Winter Pack, Keyless, Dynaudio and Reversing camera.
Gone: Mk7 R, 5dr, DSG, Limestone Grey, 19" Pretoria's, Nav Pro, DCC, Winter Pack, Keyless, Mobile Prep and Reversing Camera.
Gone: Mk6 GTD, 5dr, Manual, Tornado Red, 18" Vancouvers, RCD510 + Dynaudio, heated seats.

Offline cняis

• I live here
« Reply #6 on: 30 March 2014, 21:09 »

Seems like a good idea and you are familiar with Canon. My Canon days started with a 450D and a kit lens, moved to the 7D and now the 5Dmk3. You have to start somewhere.

I have an old Canon D60 (12 years old, light use) which, apart from being old and heavy, is just fine for me. So my EF lenses would fit the 1100D body no probs.

No.  Kit lens will be very limiting.

Bust the budget and roll with an X20:

Seriously - you cannot go wrong with this camera, or even a secondhand X10

:nerd: OK will take a look, bearing in mind I wasn't looking to spend upwards of £200 this could get very out of hand very quickly  :grin:

Offline Diamond Hell

• Serious forum addict
  • Opinions я Us
« Reply #7 on: 30 March 2014, 22:06 »
Trust me - it's f*cking epic.
Just because you're offended doesn't make you right.

Holiday cottages on the Isle of Wight for 2-10 people? PM me.

Offline cняis

• I live here
« Reply #8 on: 30 March 2014, 22:27 »
Trust me - it's f*cking epic.

Trouble is, she'll never get to use it  :grin:

Offline DubFan

• I live here
« Reply #9 on: 31 March 2014, 17:45 »
Have you looked at the compact system cameras?
My wife just got a Nikon 1 J2. It was £140ish from the John Lewis clearance. It's pretty decent, light and easy to use and it's got enough manual features to keep me happy and produces raw files that I can chuck into Lightroom.
(I would have preferred a Fuji X-M1 or X20 but this was a bargain).

Or you could look at the Canon EOS M, then you can use an adaptor to put your EF lenses on it.