Author Topic: Moisture in the headlight... FIXED  (Read 16469 times)

Offline Jim_mk7.5

• I live here
Re: Moisture in the headlight...
« Reply #20 on: 22 October 2019, 14:42 »
New headlight fitted under warranty  :smiley:

Glad you got it sorted, sounds like it was reasonably painless!

Yes not too bad, required 2 visits as had an issue with wrong address on my license due to recent move so couldn’t get the loan car. Went back and did the drop and wait appointment. A few coffees and some work. Fortunately they’d preempted the issue and ordered a new headlight in.
« Last Edit: 22 October 2019, 14:44 by Jim_mk7.5 »
NOW - 330e M Sport
GONE - 2018 Mk7.5 GTI Performance 5dr DSG, Tungsten Silver, 2017 Mk7.5 GTI 5dr DSG, Indium Grey

Offline dean5125

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #21 on: 22 October 2019, 16:32 »
Glad you got it sorted but I'd love to know how much that would have cost outside of warranty!! :laugh:
2019 (68) GTI PERFORMANCE DSG - new baby
2016 (66) GOLF R DSG - gone but definitely not forgotten

Offline Jim_mk7.5

• I live here
« Reply #22 on: 22 October 2019, 17:10 »
Glad you got it sorted but I'd love to know how much that would have cost outside of warranty!! :laugh:

About 2.5 hrs time wise which includes their standard vehicle health check. Guessing a headlight would be quite minty.
NOW - 330e M Sport
GONE - 2018 Mk7.5 GTI Performance 5dr DSG, Tungsten Silver, 2017 Mk7.5 GTI 5dr DSG, Indium Grey

Offline Jim_mk7.5

• I live here
Re: Moisture in the headlight... IT'S BACK :-(
« Reply #23 on: 28 October 2019, 09:13 »
5 days after having a new headlight fitted, it's got water in again.

I drove in heavy rain on Friday and noticed on Saturday that its had steamed up again then Sunday it's as the picture.

So how is water getting in as drivers side is absolutely fine? I did a quick inspection and noticed that a round cover is missing - would this have any effect? Back to the dealer...  :angry:

This missing cover:

NOW - 330e M Sport

Offline sjw

• I live here
« Reply #24 on: 28 October 2019, 09:17 »
5 days after having a new headlight fitted, it's got water in again.

I drove in heavy rain on Friday and noticed on Saturday that its had steamed up again then Sunday it's as the picture.

So how is water getting in as drivers side is absolutely fine? I did a quick inspection and noticed that a round cover is missing - would this have any effect? Back to the dealer...  :angry:

This missing cover:

I mean, that looks like it could be important....

Offline fredgroves

• Serious forum addict
  • Professional Um Bongo drinker
« Reply #25 on: 28 October 2019, 09:37 »
Yes that is the headlight access panel... without there high speed water hits the back of the headlight mount and I'd imagine ingress is highly likely.

Nobody spotted that before???

I'd have thought to have changed the lamp unit out they would have used that panel?
Current: Mk8 GTI DSG, Adelaides, DCC, HUD, HK, Winter Pack, Rear Camera.. Aka "HMS Weasel"

Gone: 2017 Mk7.5 GTD,manual, NavPro
Gone: 2014 Mk7 GTD, manual, NavPro, DCC

Offline Jim_mk7.5

• I live here
« Reply #26 on: 28 October 2019, 09:45 »
Yes that is the headlight access panel... without there high speed water hits the back of the headlight mount and I'd imagine ingress is highly likely.

Nobody spotted that before???

I'd have thought to have changed the lamp unit out they would have used that panel?

Cheers Fred, I think that the panel might have been missing for some time. But they did not mention this last Tuesday.

NOW - 330e M Sport

Offline dean5125

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #27 on: 28 October 2019, 09:54 »

How can a main dealer return a car to you like that, especially as it went in for the headlight?!?!? at the very least I'd have thought they'd try to charge YOU for a replacement! :laugh:

I've noticed on mine it is pretty quick to steam up along the bottom of both headlights but to be fair it dry's out after half an hour of the lights being on..... mind you I'm not driving around with a huge hole in my inner arch!! :grin:

hopefully that replaced fixes your issue, question is who does pay???
2019 (68) GTI PERFORMANCE DSG - new baby
2016 (66) GOLF R DSG - gone but definitely not forgotten

Offline Jim_mk7.5

• I live here
« Reply #28 on: 28 October 2019, 10:01 »

How can a main dealer return a car to you like that, especially as it went in for the headlight?!?!? at the very least I'd have thought they'd try to charge YOU for a replacement! :laugh:

I've noticed on mine it is pretty quick to steam up along the bottom of both headlights but to be fair it dry's out after half an hour of the lights being on..... mind you I'm not driving around with a huge hole in my inner arch!! :grin:

hopefully that replaced fixes your issue, question is who does pay???

Yes, can't believe they didn't mention it. You can only really see when the wheel is turned. But I've just checked some pictures a few days after the car was delivered and zooming in you can see that it was actually missing from new.
NOW - 330e M Sport

Offline WattMk7.5

• Just got here
  • Mk7.5 White/Silver DSG
« Reply #29 on: 28 October 2019, 10:12 »
I have just experienced this, went to the dealer and they informed me that it is a “common” thing. They said if it gets substantially worse and actual drops of the water are forming and running down the inside of the headlight they would replace them. But at the current condition they won’t replace the, through warranty.