Author Topic: Richard Lloyd Racing MK1 - Updating Broken Pics From Page 1 And Adding New Works  (Read 374593 times)

Offline SoundillusioN

• 10k hero
  • If I can't fix it at home, it ain't getting fixed.
Re: MK1 Black From The Dead (MOT Stuff & Timing p90)
« Reply #910 on: 14 February 2011, 16:06 »
I would say that if the GTI Engineering plaque shows the valve clearances then you have a solid tappet head.

Spot on :wink:

Awesome.. Thanks.  :smiley:

well i'm only doing some digging now while I think about it but it's something I would like to attack later this year.  Thankful that the plague is there as the clearances are obviously nothing like what a standard head should be and if it wasn't there i'd never know!....

Anyone know a good place to get shims from?

Got to say good work here Shaun, not long now till you can take her back on the road (albeit some what slowly and cautiously)  :grin:

Cheers mate.... yeah it will be cautiously for a little while until i'm confident the engines had a bit of a mild workout after it's long break and that the car feels all good, it's been a while.

« Last Edit: 22 February 2011, 14:36 by SoundillusioN »

Offline Bellend

• I live here
« Reply #911 on: 14 February 2011, 23:02 »
Looking good! Good luck with the MOT!

TBF though, my MOT was seriously, seriously a light MOT. But they still obviously checked all the suspension and brakes out which is handy cause you get a second set of eyes in case you've missed anything, not saying you have but it's just comforting.

As for my exhaust emissions at the time though.  :grin:

WTF I would MUCH rather have a FULL MOT rather than a 'seriously light' one...

of course... anything less than a FULL MOT would be illegal, would it not?

I don't know what Josho's MOT was like, but sometimes MOT testers doing full MOT's as you said Guy, fail you on the stupidest things, like no water in the screen wash tank or the tiniest of hole in the sill, or a slightly worn wiper blade.
I'm not up for unsafe MOT's, but I do think that some of the testers do like to find any little niggle to fail a car.

A nice MOT.  :grin:

They checked it over, but they know me, they're fair. The car was sitting on some nasty steels, they failed it on an unsuported exhaust and the washers didn't work.

They let a couple of bulbs, the emissions and a tyre go as they KNEW I'd sort it all. Alloys sorted the tyre.

I'm pretty positive that if VOSA looked over the car, they'd have no issues. I still run away from them tho.  :grin:

Where all my moneys went.

Golf MK3 1.6. Golf MK3 8v GTI.

Offline SoundillusioN

• 10k hero
« Reply #912 on: 22 February 2011, 15:13 »
Update of the weekends grafting later.

Just a quick addition to my previous post.  Found out that GTI Engineering marked their plaques like this if the engine has the hydraulic lifter head.

image host

FYI.... bar tyres and putting some dash stuff back in the car is ready for MOT!  :lipsrsealed:
« Last Edit: 22 February 2011, 16:18 by SoundillusioN »

Offline VR6_Wherry

• Forum addict
« Reply #913 on: 22 February 2011, 16:05 »
FYI.... bar tyres and putting some dsah stuff back in the car is ready for MOT!  :lipsrsealed:

Wow! i never thought i would hear the day!  :shocked: :grin: :grin:

Any dates sorted yet?

Offline Mr Blue

• Forum addict
« Reply #914 on: 22 February 2011, 16:07 »
good work man! Been after a black mk1 gti for months now :smiley:
:)

Offline SoundillusioN

• 10k hero
« Reply #915 on: 22 February 2011, 16:23 »
FYI.... bar tyres and putting some dsah stuff back in the car is ready for MOT!  :lipsrsealed:

Wow! i never thought i would hear the day!  :shocked: :grin: :grin:

Any dates sorted yet?

TBO nor did I  :grin:  I've got to stop fiddling with it now, I can concentrate on the aesthetics later.

I get paid on Friday, (much needed) tyres fitted next week some time as i'm away over the weekend, then I will be making the call! Nearest they can fit me in!.... PLEASE PASS! PLEASE!

good work man! Been after a black mk1 gti for months now :smiley:

I haven't posted any recently  :grin: will be putting a bit up tonight... What kind of car are you looking for and budget?

Offline T_J_G

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #916 on: 22 February 2011, 20:15 »
Best of luck mate!

Offline SoundillusioN

• 10k hero
« Reply #917 on: 22 February 2011, 21:17 »
Best of luck mate!

Cheers Fella...

Just putting a cruddy little update together.

Offline SoundillusioN

• 10k hero
MK1 Black From The Dead (Last Stab at MOT bits P92)
« Reply #918 on: 22 February 2011, 22:06 »
So not a great update but there's pictures to keep you going!  It's great for me as I think i'm about done as far as roadworthiness sh*t goes.

After wasting a lot of time on my steering shaft earth issues I gave up. I was advised by rubjohnny I should have a spring and circlip making contact further up the shaft to provide earth to the horn, mine was missing so it was GO for plan B.

Dash mounted horn.  The best place to mount a button was already taken by the controller for the engine hot start.  This is no longer in use so was removed, the hole was made bigger to take a Halfrauds Push Button Start switch.

Because I'd replaced all the wiring after finding Hell beind the dash, I wanted to keep things neat. note the wrap, used with everything I have added. (rescued from old alarm/stereo installs etc.)

Horns may not live here but was easy access for now.  Wired via a soon to be boxed 5 pin relay

No pictures but gave up on the handbrake and low fluid level light issues. Created my own wiring for them and fitted that instead.  Now works fine. Grille kind of sorted too.

Just put the dash backtogether, fit the tyres and........................................

« Last Edit: 23 February 2011, 09:37 by SoundillusioN »

Offline Wayne

• Sir Postalot
Re: MK1 Black From The Dead (Last Stab at MOT bits P92)
« Reply #919 on: 22 February 2011, 23:55 »
Are air horns still legal :undecided:

Good idea with the horn button btw.