Author Topic: Richard Lloyd Racing MK1 - Updating Broken Pics From Page 1 And Adding New Works  (Read 376646 times)

Offline Snoopy

• Serious forum addict
  • Geoff.
Re: SoundillusioN - MK1 Black From The Dead (Foggy)
« Reply #330 on: 03 October 2010, 10:31 »
you're right, dont get me wrong, its just the one i saw was bit too cheap! and it was an arc welder so probably not the right thing to practice with anyway..
Arc's not ideal they generate too much heat and distort the thin panel.
Its also worth spending more money on one that has more than a couple of settings. Theres actually a good guide on that forum (i think its that one, i visit a few welding forums) you linked to with recomendations.
« Last Edit: 03 October 2010, 10:33 by Snoopy »
Mk6 GTI  &  Mk1 GTI 
34 years of GTI ownership.

Offline SoundillusioN

• 10k hero
  • If I can't fix it at home, it ain't getting fixed.
Re: SoundillusioN - MK1 Black From The Dead (Foggy)
« Reply #331 on: 06 October 2010, 17:52 »
you're right, dont get me wrong, its just the one i saw was bit too cheap! and it was an arc welder so probably not the right thing to practice with anyway..
Arc's not ideal they generate too much heat and distort the thin panel.
Its also worth spending more money on one that has more than a couple of settings. Theres actually a good guide on that forum (i think its that one, i visit a few welding forums) you linked to with recomendations.
Glad i didnt buy it then....  i'm going to be patient... will look into it next year, i need a pro for the job my car needs (leaky windscreen)

Offline SoundillusioN

• 10k hero
Works been tough, not enough daylight and have too much going on to do much to the car.... its really fecking depressing at the mo.. At least wanted the old girl on the road before the winter comes!... anyway, to prove i am still doing odds and sods when i can....

Working like this after work on the bits that i can

Finished a rear arch tonight, one left to do

Have a big old shed out the back, was full of sh*t.. cleared it out and made a work space.  Got a quote to get power in there and hope to have it done by the end of the month, for now i have lots of battery powered lighting that is good enough to do lots of sanding by hand, have been concentrating on rubbing the kit down and making the odd little repairs ready for painting.  You may remember i had to use the grinder on the screws for the skirts which fecked them up a bit and the front valance (which i have nearly finished) had some scuffs from the accident.

« Last Edit: 13 October 2010, 00:13 by SoundillusioN »

Offline shepgti

• I live here
good work mate, i feel your lack of gargae pain :grin:

Offline SoundillusioN

• 10k hero
don't think ive ever had gargae pain, sounds nasty!  :laugh:

Yeah there is a few of us on here, it really does suck.... think i'll have to find a lock up when she's done though.

Offline Sam

• I live here
  • Sam I am
Looking good dude!

The entire world is a Money Pit, you just have to pick yours.

Offline SoundillusioN

• 10k hero
Looking good dude!
Thanks bud......... grrrrr, feels like its never going to end!

Offline shepgti

• I live here
don't think ive ever had gargae pain, sounds nasty!  :laugh:

Yeah there is a few of us on here, it really does suck.... think i'll have to find a lock up when she's done though.

haha its been a long day!

Offline dom

• 10k hero
  • Back in a Mk4
The way I see it is that it's all progress isn't it? It may feel like your not doing much but your heading in the right direction and each little bit adds up  :smiley:

Re power in the shed, could you not just get an extension reel and pinch it from your house?

Offline Neo Badness

• I live here
  • Feet are for pedals
Well la de dah, check you with your fancy "shed", luxury that is.

:grin:

I was working in the garden today, proper frozen to the bone.

Keep plugging away, tiny little bits add up to a completly finished car, although I do like the quote "Art is never finished, only abandoned".

You don't own a Mk2, you support it.