Author Topic: Richard Lloyd Racing MK1 - Updating Broken Pics From Page 1 And Adding New Works  (Read 374645 times)

Offline SoundillusioN

• 10k hero
  • If I can't fix it at home, it ain't getting fixed.

Offline richandhazel

• Global Moderator
  • Forum addict
Re: SoundillusioN - MK1 Black From The Dead (couple of pics)
« Reply #161 on: 09 July 2010, 19:56 »
bought my coilovers yesterday.... set of HTs  :embarassed: but then quite a few of us on here have as you cannot argue about the value for money when you're on a tight budget.  I know they can be hard but its not my daily and i want it to be pretty damn stiff.  Hope they dont take too long to arrive. (from belgium).  found a full set of new top mounts on the bay and missed them... hoping they come back on as they were a bargain and obviously need to be replaced at the same time.

Dont know what kind of drop i'll manage with the current wheel/tyre combo 195/50/R15s but i'm sure i can get skinnier tyres later.

couple of other boring parts are on the car, new dipstick and guide.  Still need to find an N/S wing!  :angry:

So, have the coilovers arrived yet? I'm interested to see how you find them.

Drove the cab into work tonight and although with my current set up at the front seems fine, the rear is very weak and uncomfortable.
If the kids sit in the back it is very bouncy and the rear end vertical travel is far too much.
I'm curently on standard shocks (rears probably knackered) with some lowering springs that I bought from GSF.

I'm concerned that the coilovers will be too hard a ride.............I can see me going from one extreme to another by putting them on!

Offline SoundillusioN

• 10k hero
« Reply #162 on: 11 July 2010, 00:11 »
So, have the coilovers arrived yet? I'm interested to see how you find them.

Drove the cab into work tonight and although with my current set up at the front seems fine, the rear is very weak and uncomfortable.
If the kids sit in the back it is very bouncy and the rear end vertical travel is far too much.
I'm curently on standard shocks (rears probably knackered) with some lowering springs that I bought from GSF.

I'm concerned that the coilovers will be too hard a ride.............I can see me going from one extreme to another by putting them on!

Yes they have arrived, sorry been busing slaving on the house and work is busy at the mo so the old girl has had nothing done for weeks again!.... really peed off because the weather has been ideal for some time now to get on with it.  I have just got some new top mounts, bump stops etc for the front, currently looking for the same for the rears so if anyone knows where i can get them from at a good price???

please bear in mind that my car is off the road and has been for what... 6 years now?... my intention is to have her mint and on the road by my birthday (September)..... if i get my collies fitted I still wont be able to tell you how it feels as i cant drive it....  :sad:

From what i'm hearing from others they're not too harsh....  if you're not after a slammed look and you dont want your kids to suffer a hard setup then maybe some top adjustable shocks are better for you, a friend of mine had a set of spax on his motor and they were great, anything from rock hard to sensible...

Offline Snoopy

• Serious forum addict
  • A.K.A. Geoff.
« Reply #163 on: 19 July 2010, 18:43 »
Nice progress since the last time i looked in on the thread, Must admit im a bit embarassed i forgot to keep checking the thread for updates.  :embarassed:
Mk6 GTI  &  Mk1 GTI 
34 years of GTI ownership.

Offline SoundillusioN

• 10k hero
« Reply #164 on: 19 July 2010, 20:04 »
Nice progress since the last time i looked in on the thread, Must admit im a bit embarassed i forgot to keep checking the thread for updates.  :embarassed:
No thats fine!.... really!...... i know you dont care!  :laugh: seriously though, nice that a mk1 owner has caught up.... i'm embarassed i've not done much for the last few weeks!... just not had time and summers not got that long left!  :sad: hit another brick wall today, She's on ramps at the moment and after a couple of days away i have found the boot full of water!  :shocked:

Offline SoundillusioN

• 10k hero
SoundillusioN - MK1 Black From The Dead (Lots Done & PICS)
« Reply #165 on: 04 August 2010, 14:06 »
Been a while!.... done quite a bit, have a habbit of saying too much so will let the pics do most of the talking.

Replaced or serviced everything to do with the gear linkages but for now am keeping the Scirocco shifter.

PAIN IN THE ASS!!!... Felt like a lifetime and broken fingers to get this back in!

There's loads more pics but you get the idea....  wanna see everything  and how its done, look on MK1 owners, great guide on there, lucky for me i've done it once before on my previous mk1.

« Last Edit: 04 August 2010, 15:03 by SoundillusioN »

Offline SoundillusioN

• 10k hero
Finally found a straight OEM bumper for £10 (just need to sort numberplate holder out).... trial fitted with LED indicators

:smiley:

Offline SoundillusioN

• 10k hero
Being very patient paid off, i wanted to replace my fooked grille like for like, wasnt easy but found one in the end, OEM £11 delivered!  :smiley:

Just need to swap the badges and spots over

Offline VR6_Wherry

• Forum addict
I really like this project! A classic car getting the treatment it deserves  :cool:

Almost there bud, keep it up and it should be looking great! :afro:

Offline SoundillusioN

• 10k hero
I really like this project! A classic car getting the treatment it deserves  :cool:

Almost there bud, keep it up and it should be looking great! :afro:
Cheers mate!  :smiley:

Slight fitting issue with later style cab grille!

:sad:

checked old one and clips had been shaved down and then bolted to slam panel in same location instead.  Have done the same to this one. wired up headlights, first time my rewiring has been put to the test for lighting!  Oh and it must have taken me an hour to put the spots in! There were no little socket clips for the my spots in the new grille, had to swap them over... wasnt easy and nearly broke them all, not designed to come out me thinks!

« Last Edit: 04 August 2010, 16:03 by SoundillusioN »