Author Topic: Richard Lloyd Racing MK1 - Updating Broken Pics From Page 1 And Adding New Works  (Read 374509 times)

Offline SoundillusioN

• 10k hero
  • If I can't fix it at home, it ain't getting fixed.
Re: SoundillusioN - MK1 Black From The Dead (Skirts off!!)
« Reply #90 on: 13 May 2010, 21:51 »
Not much to report.  Removed the front suspension, (was pretty easy as I WD40'd the bolts last night).  Spent about an hour cleaning/grinding/wire brushing the o/s inner wing and turret.. no nasty surprises in the turret, just surface crap. Then spent another hour waxoyling it all. its good that waxoyl is black!  :smiley:

Offline Snoopy

• Serious forum addict
  • A.K.A. Geoff.
Re: SoundillusioN - MK1 Black From The Dead (Protection)
« Reply #91 on: 13 May 2010, 21:55 »
I made the mistake of covering my mk1 in black waxoyl  :embarassed: You don't half get dirty when mending it in the future as that stuff always gets on you. My MOT guy hates me because of the black waxoyl.  :grin:
Its why i have started to do the mk6 in clear waxoyl.
Mk6 GTI  &  Mk1 GTI 
34 years of GTI ownership.

Offline SoundillusioN

• 10k hero
« Reply #92 on: 13 May 2010, 22:01 »
I made the mistake of covering my mk1 in black waxoyl  :embarassed: You don't half get dirty when mending it in the future as that stuff always gets on you. My MOT guy hates me because of the black waxoyl.  :grin:
Its why i have started to do the mk6 in clear waxoyl.
Yeah but what else can you do!?  i'm lucky because the car is black so wont look out of place when its all back together.  im sure MOT peeps also dont like it in case you are trying to cover bad stuff up.... Im sure they just do more violent screw driver poking to compensate! The car was already heavy on the white stuff, this explained my clean wing.  the entire inside of the wing was white/yellow waxy sh*t!... the only down side is that dirt sticks to it!

Offline cняis

• I live here
  • Know there's something burning over there...
« Reply #93 on: 13 May 2010, 23:10 »
im liking the direction of this one :afro:

I don't think a semi will give the same results

Offline shepgti

• I live here
« Reply #94 on: 14 May 2010, 00:31 »
nice work, fancy coming to fix mine after  :grin:

Offline SoundillusioN

• 10k hero
« Reply #95 on: 14 May 2010, 00:38 »
cheers fella...im not that good at fixing sh*t... if something needs welding im screwed! need someone else to fix my valance.  the electrics scared me as ive never done a full rewire before! i havent done any body work stuff for like 10 years and thats coming up soon! got some annyoing dents to sort! what needs doing on yours that you cant do?

Offline shepgti

• I live here
« Reply #96 on: 14 May 2010, 00:43 »
cheers fella...im not that good at fixing sh*t... if something needs welding im screwed! need someone else to fix my valance.  the electrics scared me as ive never done a full rewire before! i havent done any body work stuff for like 10 years and thats coming up soon! got some annyoing dents to sort! what needs doing on yours that you cant do?

mine needs alot of attetion, most of which i dont have the facility to do ie welding the sills/arches. think i may try to get the engine running soon though to get the ball rolling!

Offline SoundillusioN

• 10k hero
« Reply #97 on: 14 May 2010, 01:00 »
mine needs alot of attetion, most of which i dont have the facility to do ie welding the sills/arches. think i may try to get the engine running soon though to get the ball rolling!
Yeah i remember it coming up a few weeks ago.... I'm the same. I might get a welder one day and learn but then by the time ive done that i wont need it.  from what i can tell the only thing thats died with it off the road for so long is the rear valance.  the rest is stuff i can do or try to do but is a ballache! be good  to see yours in progress. not much goning on with mk1 projects on here... everyone elses are on the road!

Offline shepgti

• I live here
« Reply #98 on: 14 May 2010, 10:57 »
Yeah i remember it coming up a few weeks ago.... I'm the same. I might get a welder one day and learn but then by the time ive done that i wont need it.  from what i can tell the only thing thats died with it off the road for so long is the rear valance.  the rest is stuff i can do or try to do but is a ballache! be good  to see yours in progress. not much goning on with mk1 projects on here... everyone elses are on the road!

the rear valance isnt too hard to change as you can either buy the whole back bit or just the lower bit

Offline SoundillusioN

• 10k hero
« Reply #99 on: 14 May 2010, 11:40 »

the rear valance isnt too hard to change as you can either buy the whole back bit or just the lower bit
Yeah i know, i have bought a lower repair piece as shown earlier in this thread.. But the old one would need cutting out and its the only thing that needs welding which I cant do.