Author Topic: Retrofitting Leather Seats...  (Read 4106 times)

Offline yabot

• Not said much yet
Retrofitting Leather Seats...
« on: 21 November 2014, 14:44 »
Hi all,

So i was fishing around in the depths of ebay today and came across this company that buys cat d cars then strips them basically and came across these:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/VW-GOLF-MK6-GTI-LEATHER-INTERIOR-SEATS-WITH-DOOR-CARDS-ARM-REST-2012-/251726961211?pt=UK_CarsParts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM&hash=item3a9c189a3b

Would this be able to be fitted into my Mk6 3 door GTI? Rang them up and he's offered me part ex on my cloth seats so that definitely helps, only thing im worrying about is obviously the issue of compatibility between 3 and 5 doors.

Found these as well but he wont do part ex:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Mk6-Golf-Gti-Leather-Interior-Seats-Front-And-Back-Heated-Mk5-Out-Off-Edition-35-/121490167588?pt=UK_CarsParts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM&hash=item1c4960d724

Any help appreciated!!

Cheers.
2011 3dr Mk6 GTI in CSG - Manual - RNS510/Bluetooth - Winter Pack - Optical Parking Assist - 18'' BBS SR Satin Grey - Few other bits' n bobs

Offline dubber36

• Forum addict
Re: Retrofitting Leather Seats...
« Reply #1 on: 21 November 2014, 15:14 »
Seats from a 5 door car won't have a tilt function that's needed to get into the rear of a 3 door car.
Red Mk6 gone replaced with a white Mk7 which has gone too. Green Mk2 here to stay.

Offline yabot

• Not said much yet
« Reply #2 on: 21 November 2014, 15:34 »
Seats from a 5 door car won't have a tilt function that's needed to get into the rear of a 3 door car.

Ah yes of course, thanks for that... guess it's a no go then... :rolleyes:
2011 3dr Mk6 GTI in CSG - Manual - RNS510/Bluetooth - Winter Pack - Optical Parking Assist - 18'' BBS SR Satin Grey - Few other bits' n bobs

Offline dubber36

• Forum addict
« Reply #3 on: 21 November 2014, 15:48 »
A decent trimmer would charge in the region of £8-900 to trim your original front and rear seats, including the materials. If you want it to look factory, you could always just buy the leather covers from VW/TPS and get a trimmer to fit them.

I reckon the prices would be on par with the ones in your link, by the time you have px'd your tartan seats, and they would be as new.

www.mjinteriors.co.uk/index.php
Red Mk6 gone replaced with a white Mk7 which has gone too. Green Mk2 here to stay.

Offline yabot

• Not said much yet
« Reply #4 on: 21 November 2014, 17:07 »
A decent trimmer would charge in the region of £8-900 to trim your original front and rear seats, including the materials. If you want it to look factory, you could always just buy the leather covers from VW/TPS and get a trimmer to fit them.

I reckon the prices would be on par with the ones in your link, by the time you have px'd your tartan seats, and they would be as new.

www.mjinteriors.co.uk/index.php

When you mean trim, does that mean they just sort of cover the original seats etc? Properly of course but like that?

Yeah i would be looking for it to look as original as possible and as close to the GTI leather seats that come as an optional extra.

This is only an after thought and i'll probably have forgotten about it in 2 weeks, but would love leather in the car, not to say the cloth seats are bad... i do like the chequered pattern after all.

Thanks for the help  :grin:

Offline dubber36

• Forum addict
« Reply #5 on: 21 November 2014, 17:19 »
Yes, I do mean recover your existing seats. This could be done by making up new leather coverings from material off the roll, or buying OEM pre-made covers from VW and swapping them for your tartan ones.

Offline J400uk

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #6 on: 21 November 2014, 17:58 »
They look a bit expensive, I'm considering the same retrofit and have my eye on these - http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Mk6-Golf-Gti-Leather-Interior-Seats-Front-And-Back-Heated-Mk5-Out-Off-Edition-35-/121490167588
2015 Golf GTD 2.0 TDI 184 PS 6-speed DSG 5 Door Tornado Red

Offline yabot

• Not said much yet
« Reply #7 on: 21 November 2014, 18:09 »
They look a bit expensive, I'm considering the same retrofit and have my eye on these - http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Mk6-Golf-Gti-Leather-Interior-Seats-Front-And-Back-Heated-Mk5-Out-Off-Edition-35-/121490167588

they were the ones i was looking at... is yours a 5 door?

Offline J400uk

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #8 on: 22 November 2014, 10:44 »

they were the ones i was looking at... is yours a 5 door?

Yeah 5dr

Mk6 leather interiors seem hard to come by
2015 Golf GTD 2.0 TDI 184 PS 6-speed DSG 5 Door Tornado Red