Author Topic: Upgraded lights ( with pics )  (Read 2697 times)

Offline chris1h

• Here all the time
  • MK6 GTI BLACK 3 DOOR
Upgraded lights ( with pics )
« on: 12 November 2014, 21:28 »
Hi all,

Didn't have the money for some aftermarket xenons at present so changed all the bulbs to nearest equivalent I could find without upgrading to hids or xenons..Hopefully this will be usefully to some people as I didn't really find that much on DRLs when I was searching...  :whistle: 

So ..
1) Changed the w5w (sidelight) to a w5w fitment LED ...
2) Changed the DRL bulb (h15)(horrible yellow one) to a one off ebay from ultra hids.. £27.50 for the pair but use code speed15 for 15% off  :wink:
3) Changed the main beam h7 to a ebay special.. slight blue tint..

Up to now personally I believe they look great and not chavy..

MK6 GTI - 2011 - PEARL BLACK - 3 DOOR  - 18" MONZA SHADOWS  -  RNS510/DAB  -  ACC  - SUNROOF  -  WINTER PACK  - DYNAUDIO  -  VIENNA LEATHER  - PARKING SENSORS  - BLUETOOTH

Offline chris1h

• Here all the time
  • MK6 GTI BLACK 3 DOOR
Re: Upgraded lights ( with pics )
« Reply #1 on: 12 November 2014, 21:30 »
MK6 GTI - 2011 - PEARL BLACK - 3 DOOR  - 18" MONZA SHADOWS  -  RNS510/DAB  -  ACC  - SUNROOF  -  WINTER PACK  - DYNAUDIO  -  VIENNA LEATHER  - PARKING SENSORS  - BLUETOOTH

Offline JayGTD

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #2 on: 13 November 2014, 09:50 »
Those look brilliant Chris! Where abouts in the North you from? Defo need some sort of meet like some time soon
Deep black pearl GTD | 18" Charleston wheels | Kenwood DNX520VBT | VWR Springs | GTI backbox and diffuser | Red grill stripes | Bi-xenon LED Projector's with 6000K HID's | Full interior LED conversion | LED Number plate lights | Heko wind deflectors | JDM Broadway Rearview mirror | GTD Seat inserts | Stage 1+ remap | Vagcom gauge sweep | Vagcom large digital speedo | Vagcom teardrop wipers | WIFI OB2 connector w/ Dashcommands |

Offline RedHP

• I live here
« Reply #3 on: 13 November 2014, 18:51 »
Hey Chris,

Can you post other piccies please pal?
Also, which of these are street legal?

I have swapped main headlights to Bosch bright white but all others are standard and am thinking of swapping but to those that are street legal...........I'm too lazy to swap for MOT purposes  :smiley:

Red
Mk6 GiT since birth in 2010

YNWA

Offline chris1h

• Here all the time
  • MK6 GTI BLACK 3 DOOR
« Reply #4 on: 15 November 2014, 14:58 »
Those look brilliant Chris! Where abouts in the North you from? Defo need some sort of meet like some time soon

Sunderland bud! yeah defo mate!

Offline chris1h

• Here all the time
  • MK6 GTI BLACK 3 DOOR
« Reply #5 on: 17 November 2014, 21:00 »
Hey Chris,

Can you post other piccies please pal?
Also, which of these are street legal?

I have swapped main headlights to Bosch bright white but all others are standard and am thinking of swapping but to those that are street legal...........I'm too lazy to swap for MOT purposes  :smiley:

Red

Hi mate. grey area.. i dont no if leds are legal but you got all these new cars running round lit up like a xmas tree with leds.. as for the drl replacement bulb. the company recon its legal.. im 50/50 to whether i believe this but the new mercs kicking about are blue as anything! they dont look illegal my bulbs and dont look that blue. more of the ice white!  il try get more pics for you sometime mate! i had some osram bulbs in before  with a tinge of blue to make the xenon look and they are the worst bulbs i have had. the quality in light was poor and the colour the give off was poor!

Offline Prior7

• Not said much yet
« Reply #6 on: 20 November 2014, 19:52 »
Just a quick question. How easy were the bulbs to actually change? Did you have to take your front bumper off to get into the back of your headlight or not?

Just I've heard you have to drop your front bumper off to get into the headlight. Just I have xenons and I want to change the sidelights cause they're a bit yellow compared to the white/blue of the xenon.

Cheers
Sam

Offline mustard

• Here all the time
  • Mk7 R
« Reply #7 on: 20 November 2014, 21:04 »
They are a bit of a fiddle, but you do not need to remove the bumper,the near side is the worst. However if you remove the airbox, a ten minute job to take off and replace, then it is easy to replace that one.

Offline chris1h

• Here all the time
  • MK6 GTI BLACK 3 DOOR
« Reply #8 on: 22 November 2014, 16:04 »
Just a quick question. How easy were the bulbs to actually change? Did you have to take your front bumper off to get into the back of your headlight or not?

Just I've heard you have to drop your front bumper off to get into the headlight. Just I have xenons and I want to change the sidelights cause they're a bit yellow compared to the white/blue of the xenon.

Cheers
Sam

hey mate, not too sure if you have xenons and the whole set up. For the normal halogen bulbs its hrad to get your hand in.  dont need to drop bumper off well i didnt..