Author Topic: All weather tyres  (Read 992 times)

Offline gaurav_aidasani

• GTI forum regular
All weather tyres
« on: 21 November 2014, 14:13 »
Sorry to bring up this topic again, but I searched on the forum to see if this question has been answered and couldn't find anything.

The tread on my current tyres is pretty low and will need replacing soon, all 4 corners. I was going to go for Goodyear eagle f1 as the reviews are good, but having read more thoroughly it seems their performance weakens in temperatures of 7•c and below.

Any recommendations on an all weather tyre or anyone had experience with the goodyears in winter? Due to storage issues I cannot really afford to keep summer and winter tyres.

Got 18 inch monzas and I think my current tyres are conti sport contact. Don't do excessive mileage, under 10k a year with a mix of city and motorway driving
« Last Edit: 21 November 2014, 14:22 by gaurav_aidasani »

Offline dubber36

• Forum addict
Re: All weather tyres
« Reply #1 on: 21 November 2014, 15:53 »
I would advise fitting winter tyres around now, but bear in mind that in 4 months time, you'll need to buy a set of summer tyres as the winters will feel horrible when it warms up.

With the mileage you do, I reckon you could get 3-4 seasons out of a set of winter tyres, so it would be worthwhile fitting them to a second set of wheels and finding somewhere to store the other set. Some tyre dealers offer storage facilities providing you've bought your tyres from them, so it might be worth asking round. 
Red Mk6 gone replaced with a white Mk7 which has gone too. Green Mk2 here to stay.