Author Topic: 1.4 TSI vs GTI  (Read 2032 times)

Offline bobbarley

• Serious forum addict
  • I'm kind of a big deal...
1.4 TSI vs GTI
« on: 15 June 2019, 22:18 »
I've been looking at getting a mk6 as a runaround to do the school/work run, around 40 miles a day. I'd like something with a bit of poke as we pull out onto a lot of busy national speed limit roads. The 1.4 TSI and GTI both seem affordable and fit the bill.

What would be your preference between the two in terms of reliability? I've read varying accounts of problems with both engines.

Offline joe6

• I live here
Re: 1.4 TSI vs GTI
« Reply #1 on: 16 June 2019, 18:10 »
Both have had their problems but you don't say what year you are looking at or which 1.4 engine. If looking at a post 2011 manufactured mk6 then you are probably OK with engine issues. I have had a 1.4TSI (160bhp) twin charger in a Scirocco (2011) with a mild stage 1 that did 65k before I sold it and had no problems but some have had all sorts of issues as you have probably read about. My mk6 GTI (2010) has done 75k and again only one issue to date - the intake manifold flaps failed although my latest diagnostic check showed that timing chains and tensioner are about due to be replaced (£1000). I think the reliability of either MK 6 will depend on how it has been looked after and you need to check carefully for servicing record etc and what was mentioned in the MOTs. The MOT record is a good indicator of how well it was treated. If the servicing is by VW dealers then any VW dealer will be able to look up what work has been done. The 1.4 probably has enough power to meet your needs and will be a bit more economical. The GTI has more presence on the road and you will enjoy it! ( A bit of prejudice here!!) As said above, a GTI post MY 2011 had most issues sorted such as timing chains and tensioner that would give you a very big bill if they fail.
Mk6 GTI Carbon Grey, 2010 Bluetooth and voice fitted, a few VCDS mods still a comfortable family car. Red Scirocco 2011 twin charger stage 1 - enjoyable drive now gone.  White 2016 Polo GTI (roller skate on steroids) replaced with an Indium Grey 2019 7.5 GTI PP.

Offline Snoopy

• Serious forum addict
  • Geoff.
Re: 1.4 TSI vs GTI
« Reply #2 on: 16 June 2019, 18:35 »
As above it depends on your budget. You could also look at the edition 35 GTI if in budget as it uses the older engine with a cambelt. It would also probably be worth more when come resale time so negate the extra cost.
Mk6 GTI  &  Mk1 GTI 
34 years of GTI ownership.