Author Topic: Speaker upgrade help  (Read 822 times)

Offline Dan34

• I live here
  • VTEC Powerzzzz
Speaker upgrade help
« on: 10 June 2009, 17:22 »
Right so far ive upgraded the standard speakers in my mk2 golf with the same size alpine ones and i also have a sub in my boot nothing too bassy but enough for me! Now the alpine small speakers are great for the high pitched sounds etc and the sub can handle the low bass fine but ive got nothing for the mid range bass etc. Now ive been looking into some component speakers which look like the sort of thing i want, but i have really got anywhere to mount them now my mate has a polo 6n and he has some components in his parcel shelf and they sound great and really do the mid range great but ive been told its not good to put them in the parcel shelf for some reason? what are your thoughts? should i go for some components in the parcel shelf?

Thanks for reading

Dan

Offline deanpompey

• I live here
Re: Speaker upgrade help
« Reply #1 on: 12 June 2009, 23:09 »
at the end of the day if you think it sounds good then go for it mate.

if you were wanting a proper SQ(sound quality) system it would be a bit of a no no as the placement of the different frequencies will interfere slightly with each other and cause "muddying" of the sound. proper set up should be components up front ( mid driver angled slightly upwards an towards you, tweeter mounted around head/chest height ,again angled towards your head) and a sub/6x9's (running low freq only) at the rear.

one of the reasons you will have been told not to run the components in the rear shelf is that the sub will be using ALL of the air in your boot, so the components will be sharing airspace.that will result in the sub taking over the component and messing up the movement of the cone, resulting in the comp driver playing the wrong freq's and sounding distorted. this can be gotten around if you are intent on fitting them there, just box them in (leave a few inches from edge of speakers and about 4"deep from where the magnet will be) and they wont be affected by the sub.

hope that helps!