Author Topic: Jamin - Golf GTI 16v, "The Afex Twin"  (Read 11367 times)

Offline jv

• Administrator
  • Serious forum addict
Jamin - Golf GTI 16v, "The Afex Twin"
« on: 18 July 2011, 22:34 »
:)
Buy site stuff!
GolfGTI.co.uk - merchandise

Support the forum charity!
Forum Charity

Offline Jamin

• GTI forum regular
  • Mk3 Golf Gti 16v
Re: Jamin - Golf GTI 16v, "The Afex Twin"
« Reply #1 on: 20 July 2011, 11:23 »
Thanks jv  :smiley:

Owned the car for about 2 months now, just been too busy with work to post about it.

It's a P reg Gti 16v rocking close to 185k on the clocks. She came with a stack of history including receipts for a miltek exhaust with sports cat and a superchip!! Yet to get the car onto a rolling road, but it's rapid to say the least. It also came with some 17" Oz alloy wheels and a rather dodgy lowering job on cut springs :angry:

So far, the only work that we've done to it is replacing the rubber with 4 new toyo's, replaced the lower arms and track rod ends and fitted some ICE.

Future plans are just to tidy the car up, it needs 2 new front wings, a new n/s passenger door and a n/s rear quarter panel, those are the only bits on the car that are rusty. The underside isn't spotless but it's solid with no rust on the sills. The interior needs a bit of a lift, the headliner is dropping, there are scratches on the dash, gear gaiter is worn but for the 650 we paid for it we can't expect perfection. At some point I've want to get a leather interior but that's a long way off.

But before all of that it's got to get through the MOT. Its booked in for a service and MOT in about 45 mins. I'll post up how it got on later.

P.s pics will have to wait for a few days as I can't upload from my girlfriends ipad

Offline Jamin

• GTI forum regular
  • Mk3 Golf Gti 16v
« Reply #2 on: 20 July 2011, 19:40 »
Car passed the MOT   :smiley: :smiley:

Looking at doing the anti roll bar linkage this coming  weekend but promised the wife that now the mk3 is through the MOT I would devote some time and energy to her mk1 cab.

Will post pics as soon as possible cos these threads don't work without pictures!!!

Offline Jamin

• GTI forum regular
  • Mk3 Golf Gti 16v
« Reply #3 on: 21 July 2011, 14:25 »
Just quickly before I go to work ( night shifts  :angry:) thought I'd let you all know about yesterday. As above the car passed the MOT, failed on the headlights being too low, that was tweaked at it sailed through with a few advisories and they are;

2 cracks in the windscreen ( as the previous owner had already gone to auto glass to get them filled in it means we need a new screen.....aaarrrggghhh)

Both front brake pipes are slightly corroded

Te cat clamp on the exhaust has a minor leak

Both front anti roll bar linkages are deteriorated but not resulting in excessive movement

Slight corrosion to both inner sills

All in all, not bad for a 16 year old car getting towards 200k. The only other thing is the rocker gaskets need replacing which came up during the service.

Hoping to get some pics sorted tomorrow

Offline Jamin

• GTI forum regular
  • Mk3 Golf Gti 16v
« Reply #4 on: 21 July 2011, 17:30 »
Right, pics as promised. To be honest, these pics make the car look a lot cleaner than it actually is. I'll post up some pics "warts and all" later in the week.

Comments welcome

Offline Jamin

• GTI forum regular
  • Mk3 Golf Gti 16v
« Reply #5 on: 13 March 2012, 14:56 »
Wow. Time flies and I've been really busy at work so haven't had a chance to post on the forum. But just a few updates.

The car survived the winter but a few gremlins have set in. Only 1 of the electric windows works now. Of the other 3, 2 have stopped working all together and 1 can only be opened slightly otherwise it opens itself all the way and is a nightmare to shut. It's not bee too bad as the weather has been pretty sh!tty but summer will soon be here so it needs to get fixed.

The ABS system has started to play up as well under braking. It seems to come on whenever it feels like it. Not sure if it's just the sensor or if the system is knackered but going to replace the ABS sensor and see if that does the job. Also, when I replace the sensor going to pop on new discs and pads all round as well as new wheel bearings.

And finally I need to get some new lowering springs as I still haven't got round to replacing the cut springs that came with the car.

Will keep you updated as the repairs happen!!!

Offline Jamin

• GTI forum regular
  • Mk3 Golf Gti 16v
« Reply #6 on: 28 September 2012, 22:58 »
Can't believe it's been 6 months since I updated this thread. Doesn't feel that long!!

Anyway,it seems that Christmas has arrived early at my house as the living rooms is full of boxes of various different sizes.......all containing bits for the Mk3!!!!

I took advantage of Eurocarparts 35% off brake discs and pads offers and ordered Eicher discs and pads all round. I used the forum discount code to get new wheel bearings all round as well as a thermometer and gasket. I got a new water pump courtesy of Volksbits....£24.99 for a complete unit!! My missus has managed to sweet talk one of our mechanic mates to come round on Sunday and fit the parts on the driveway....well....those that can be fitted on the driveway. After Sunday the car is going into the garage to get the rest of the parts fitted and to be put through the MOT. Fingers crossed!!

Is still a long way off finished though. I still need to get 3 electric window regulators and 2 new motors, ABS sensors all round, rocker cover gasket and sort out some new suspension.

I'll post a few pics in the next couple of days.

Offline Jamin

• GTI forum regular
  • Mk3 Golf Gti 16v
« Reply #7 on: 25 October 2012, 17:39 »
Afex twin progress report.

The old water pump has been replaced so at least now the car runs and holds temperature. Needed a jump to get it going but it ran sweet as a nut. While my mate was fitting the pump I got to work cleaning alternator as it was covered in gunk. You'd be amazed what you can achieve with a couple of kebab sticks, some hot soapy water and a few rags.

The rear discs and pads were fitted last weekend. It was a bit of a tough job and most of the nuts and bolts didn't want to come out. A little bit of penetrating fluid and some encouragement saw them loose. Also fitted the new rear wheel bearings at the same time so hopefully that's the back end sorted. My mate dismantled the front end to take the hubs off to his work to press the wheel bearings in. This gave me and the missus the opportunity to clean up the callipers and give them a coat of paint. I lost the toss of the coin so the car will be sporting blue callipers instead of the red I had in mind. The hubs were replaced yesterday but failing light meant we had to put off doing the discs and pads till Sunday....gives me more time to paint the callipers and get them looking spot on.

And that's it so far.

Offline Jamin

• GTI forum regular
  • Mk3 Golf Gti 16v
« Reply #8 on: 17 December 2012, 22:41 »
Great news!! After being without the car for what feels like an eternity...it's finally back on the road after a service and test.It sailed through the MOT and emissions test......second time around. First time around it conked out during the emissions. The fault has been diagnosed at the dreaded relay number 30 so that has been replaced and now she runs sweet as a nut.

There are a few mechanical things left to do such as the rocker cover gasket and the changing of the suspension.I also need to source and fit 2 electric window motors and 1 regulator and then she's pretty much there mechanically. Bodywork going to be done next year.