Author Topic: immortal - mk4 1.8t upgrades  (Read 63263 times)

Offline jv

• Administrator
  • Serious forum addict
immortal - mk4 1.8t upgrades
« on: 22 June 2007, 19:06 »
:)
Buy site stuff!
GolfGTI.co.uk - merchandise

Support the forum charity!
Forum Charity

Offline Immortal

• Here all the time
  • 1.8 Turbo GTI (AUM)
Re: immortal - mk4 1.8t upgrades
« Reply #1 on: 22 June 2007, 21:06 »
Thanks JV,

Right I'm just upgrading from this:

Y/2001 Golf 2.0 8v GTI 3dr

To this:

51/2002 Golf 1.8T 20v GTI 5dr

I'm picking her up in the morning. :cool:

The "Offical" Reason (ie the one I told the missus!) is that getting our son's baby seat into the back of a 3dr is a royal pain in the a@se. So we need a 5dr... The better engine has nothing to do with it.....  :wink:

Anyway I've got a few bits I want to do with her (Mostly interior work at the moment) & thought I'd share my (mis)adventures with you guys :smiley:

Offline Immortal

• Here all the time
  • 1.8 Turbo GTI (AUM)
« Reply #2 on: 23 June 2007, 23:45 »
Got her this morning & have wasted no time!

I'm gonna try to write little DIY guides for everything I do (but that might not last long!)

Sunglasses Holder

The easiest thing in the world!

Tools Required:
1. No.2 Point Pozi-Drive Screwdriver
2. Small Flat-Head Screwdriver (Or Long Finger Nails!)

Step One: Pull existing grab handle down & use flat headed screwdriver to flip open the screw covers
You should see this:

Step Two: Remove the two screws & the grab handle will come away from the trim.

Step Three: Using the two screws provided with the kit, attach the sunglasses holder.

Step Four: Admire your handiwork!

Offline Immortal

• Here all the time
  • 1.8 Turbo GTI (AUM)
« Reply #3 on: 24 June 2007, 00:22 »
W8 Interior Light

Tools Required:
1. No.2 Point Pozi-Drive Screwdriver
2. Small Flat-Head Screwdriver
3. Your choice of electrical connection (scotchlok, soldering iron etc)

Before starting disconnect the battery neutral wire!

Step One: Using the small flat-head screwdriver, gently prise the lens from the existing light (from the windscreen side)

Step Two: Remove the two pozi-drive screws

Step Three: Pull gently down on the windscreen side of the light, then pull towards the windscreen to remove it from the cavity.

Step Four: Fold down the small visor (between the light cavity & the windscreen) & remove the single pozi-drive screw. The visor will now pull off. Put this somewhere safe.

Step Five: Attach the "adapter" loom to the W8 light & the existing loom. Feed the long wire through the cavity & out of the headlining by the windscreen. If (like me) your W8 light didn't come with the extra loom, you can get them from vw_teeside on ebay for about £8

Step Six: Hook the rear edge of the W8 light into the cavity & then push upwards on the front edge to pivot the light into position. It should "click" when it's fully home. I had to remove a small amount of foam from the back left of the cavity to allow room for the new loom.

You now should have something like this:

Step Seven: Remove the fuse box cover & console end piece by carefully prying out with small flat-head screwdriver.

Step Eight: Route the wire along the top of the windscreen, down the A-pillar (tucking it into the headling as you go) & into the space behind the fuse box.

Step Nine: Using your preferred method of electrical connection, connect the wire to the blue/grey wire from the dimmer switch.

Step Ten: Refit the side trim, fuse box cover & visor

Step Eleven: Reconnect battery & look at the pretty light!

Offline Immortal

• Here all the time
  • 1.8 Turbo GTI (AUM)
« Reply #4 on: 24 June 2007, 13:37 »
R32 Pedals

Tools Required:
1. Soapy Water
2. Patience!

Step One: Pull the existing pedal covers off. This is a bit awkward

Step Two: Fit the new covers. I found a little soapy water eased this process, but it was still tricky. The clutch pedal was done by hooking the right side onto the pedal & pulling the left side on. The brake was done by hooking on the left side & pulling the right on.

Offline Immortal

• Here all the time
  • 1.8 Turbo GTI (AUM)
« Reply #5 on: 24 June 2007, 18:52 »
Cruise Control

Follow This Guide! as the VW installation instructions are a bit dodgy...

You also need part no. 1J0.971.425.C

One thing that really isn't very clear in VW's instruction book, is that the loom (that fits into the cruise stalk) fits into the socket for the black plug (T10e) NOT the black plug itself. I had to read it a couple of times before I realized :rolleyes: & had to redo it :embarassed: The additional loom (1J0.971.425.C) goes into the plug & connects to the 81pin socket on the ECU.
« Last Edit: 25 June 2007, 08:31 by immortal »

Offline Immortal

• Here all the time
  • 1.8 Turbo GTI (AUM)
« Reply #6 on: 27 June 2007, 18:31 »
Just put a 312mm brake kit on & took the opportunity to paint the calipers. Sadly I've no pictures at the moment as my pc has died!

Offline Immortal

• Here all the time
  • 1.8 Turbo GTI (AUM)
« Reply #7 on: 07 July 2007, 11:59 »
I've not really done much this week. Getting VAGCOM on it tomorrow to activate my cruise.
Sadly my pc is still dead & I haven't worked out how to upload pictures from my PS3, so still no pics of the brakes :(

Offline Immortal

• Here all the time
  • 1.8 Turbo GTI (AUM)
« Reply #8 on: 12 July 2007, 12:21 »
I've got the cruise control activated now (it's great) but VAGCOM identified a fault with my dump valve, so i'm gonna get a Forge 007 asap

Offline Immortal

• Here all the time
  • 1.8 Turbo GTI (AUM)
« Reply #9 on: 08 August 2007, 00:25 »

Here's a pic of the 312mm brake setup, once I get my alloys replaced/refurbished (havent decide yet) they'll look excellent