Author Topic: Clunking  (Read 963 times)

Offline gamestaffords

• Not said much yet
Clunking
« on: 07 August 2014, 14:53 »
Hi, there is a loud clunking noise happening when i pull off, i have changed the wishbone bushes so i no there ok and everything looked ok with the wheel off.
someone has mentioned the drive shaft so just after some advice what the possible faults could be????
Thanks in advance
Ross

Offline Dalo Harkin

• I live here
Re: Clunking
« Reply #1 on: 07 August 2014, 15:12 »
stuck caliper maybe
ARZ K03s, Oettinger Side Skirts, R32 front, Carbon stage 2, Forge 007p (yellow spring), Forge Actuator (yellow spring), Pipercross panel filter with DSG parts, N249 and N112 deleted, SAI deleted, Carbon canister deleted, Rear wiper deleted, Long Life turbo back custom exhaust with 200 cell sports cat, VR6/G60 clutch kit, Creation Motorsport TIP, Catch can, 'Wellycooler', K04 charge pipe, S3 ported inlet manifold - looks pretty standard on the outside though :)

Offline Oops gti

• Not said much yet
« Reply #2 on: 09 August 2014, 15:52 »
I had a similar problem on my new 1.8turbo turned out to be the gearbox mounting bush. When you check this you want to try and rock the engine back to front and if there's any play then it'll need to be replaced. Unfortunately as well as doing this you'll have to replace the dog bone as well, no one really knows why they go at the same time but they do. Hope this helps a little.

Offline gamestaffords

• Not said much yet
« Reply #3 on: 11 August 2014, 08:48 »
Thanks, is the gearbox mounting bush hard to change? is it a DIY job or is a ramp and garage required?

Offline Dgold180

• Just got here
« Reply #4 on: 11 August 2014, 17:30 »
Thanks, is the gearbox mounting bush hard to change? is it a DIY job or is a ramp and garage required?

a lift would make things easy. However you can jack the car up at the front and put it on axle stands. once that's done then jack up the gear box a touch just to take the strain off.

Offline Oops gti

• Not said much yet
« Reply #5 on: 11 August 2014, 18:05 »
No mate it's not hard, I'm not a mechanic by any stretch of the imagination but I found it very easy to do. Like it's already been said you'll need to jack up the gearbox to get them off. Then replace the dog bone.   :smiley:

Offline gamestaffords

• Not said much yet
« Reply #6 on: 14 August 2014, 17:33 »
Thanks all, great help as always!!!!