Author Topic: Mk2 Golf manual to power steering rack problem?  (Read 6040 times)

Offline ajay4670

• Just got here
Mk2 Golf manual to power steering rack problem?
« on: 31 October 2013, 21:02 »
Hi everyone, I am new to this forum and would just really appreciate some some help with my manual to pas conversion, i bought a used mk2 golf/jetta power steering set up including all hoses, resevoir bottle, pump, the rack itself and a UJ, i have put the new rack in which was quite difficult to do in the cold on my drive but managed in the end. I changed the boot to a pas one and put the UJ in, it doesnt seem to meet properly on the rack? The spline shaft on my pas rack is 0.75 inches and the pas UJ i have is 0.7 inches. Can anyone please help as to why it does not fit properly, at one point i thought it was a mk3 rack, bought a mk3 UJ and that dont fit either????

Also The UJ itself is not going fully onto the collumn otherwise the bolt will not go through and will not meet.

Please can somebody help?  :sad:
Thank you
« Last Edit: 06 November 2013, 20:06 by ajay4670 »

Offline ritmo

• Not said much yet
Re: Mk2 Golf manual to power steering rack problem?
« Reply #1 on: 13 November 2013, 21:27 »
I think the universal joint is different also to the PAS for the mk2

Offline ritmo

• Not said much yet
Re: Mk2 Golf manual to power steering rack problem?
« Reply #2 on: 14 November 2013, 18:46 »
Sorry I meet to go on to say that I had read somewhere that the universal joint needs to de changed also with a PAS one in other words its only the steering column that is the same.

I haven't had first hand experience of this so hopefully someone can confirm this?
However I also have just removed my manual steering rack from my mk2 in the cold on the driveway!

What condition was you gaitor in for your manual steering? If it was still in one peace would you be willing to sell it? I have a wanted add for this part.
Andy