Author Topic: key coding for 2002 passat  (Read 2161 times)

Offline javalin

• I live here
key coding for 2002 passat
« on: 06 June 2013, 18:33 »
Hello,

I changed my battery on my spare fob recently, now it will unlock the car but not start the engine.

following vcds key matching article http://wiki.ross-tech.com/wiki/index.php/Immobilizer_III_Key_Matching_(Cluster) I am stuck with the cluster login.  I have the master key code thing from the previous owner, but the 5 digit number doesn't get accepted by the control unit.

Any ideas?

James
You only ever need two tools in life. If it moves and it shouldn't use Duct Tape. If it does not move and it should, use WD40.

Offline George k

• GTI forum regular
Re: key coding for 2002 passat
« Reply #1 on: 06 June 2013, 18:43 »
It's normally a 4 digit code

Offline topher

• Administrator
  • Serious forum addict
  • fully functioning
« Reply #2 on: 06 June 2013, 18:58 »
it can be 5 digits, its just the majority of them start with 0. The battery in the key fob is only for the remote central locking. Only thing i can think is that you some how damaged the immo chip in the top of the fob while replacing the battery. Is the key recognised in the measuring blocks?
Also check you have no blown fuses.

Offline javalin

• I live here
« Reply #3 on: 06 June 2013, 19:21 »
Hiya

yes its a 5 digit starting with 0 - so 01234 format.

fuses and such are ok as other key works ok.

Don't think I damaged it, not sure now if that key ever worked.  VCDS seems to show it as not ready or similar - this step (I can screen shot if required):

Code: [Select]
[Select]
[17 - Instruments]
[Meas. Blocks - 08]
 Select Block 022.
[Go!]
The value in field 3 must be 1. If value is not 1, the key is not capable of being adapted to Immobilizer.
You can check each key in this manner.

wondered if that's because I can't login to the controller though?
You only ever need two tools in life. If it moves and it shouldn't use Duct Tape. If it does not move and it should, use WD40.