Author Topic: Power and performance  (Read 3373 times)

Online barrym381

• Forum addict
Re: Power and performance
« Reply #10 on: 17 October 2016, 21:42 »
Do you think that's the reason for my lack of turbo power?
I want to get a forge 007 recirc and a piper cross induction kit. Will they be ok?
Use a piper cross panel filter and standard dv  :smiley: your lack of power could be anything from a simple split pipe or a sensor best getting it scanned for fault codes to give you a clue and a standard 1.8t won't feel fast or throw you back in your seat

Offline Ainsleyg1981

• Not said much yet
« Reply #11 on: 17 October 2016, 21:50 »
I've got a fault code reader I'll plug it tomorrow then and see.
Sounds like mine doesn't have a problem then if you say they aren't much good standard it must just be that then. It boosts at 0.5 max.
Does a remap really make a big difference? Does that throw you back in your seat? Don't wanna spend loads on performance if I'm tuning a waste of time.
My old leyland daf was more inspiring than this gti "turbo" :angry:

Offline Wazzzer

• 10k hero
  • Golf GTI 1.8T AGU
« Reply #12 on: 21 October 2016, 17:37 »
My mapping guy said you can't do any of the throttle cable engines until you change the ecu chip as it's not reprogrammable.

Your mapping guy is wrong :wink:

My ECU didn't need the chip changing as it was the later AGU ECU. You need to see what ECU yours has fitted as they changed them mid 99. The AGU ECU is write only so the map needs to be emulated on a PC but it can definitely be flashed via the ODB port if it's a later ECU

1999 1.8T: R-Tech remap - 225bhp/256lb/ft : K03s : THS FMIC : THS PCR pipe : 2.5" stainless exhaust : THS FR3 Engine mounts : G60/VR6 clutch : Calibra Yellow injectors : VR6 MAF : Devils Own WMI : Forge 007p : Carbonio CAI : Leon Cupra R Brembos : FK AK Street coilovers : Votex skirts : Anniversary front : click ---> http://www.golfgtiforum.co.uk/index.php?topic=92175

Offline Mr_Orange

• I live here
  • MK4 GTi Turbo Exclusive 150 AUM
« Reply #13 on: 22 October 2016, 07:55 »
I'd spend your time and money fitting standard parts and get some service work done, which it sounds likely hasn't been done. Even source 2nd hand such as the airbox etc.
Don't polish the proverbial, if you haven't got sound foundations to work on.

Build thread clicky

Offline bgbazz

• Here all the time
  • If it aint broke...I can fix it!
« Reply #14 on: 22 October 2016, 11:20 »
Sound advice from Mr_Orange.
Mk4 Golf TDI Estate 4Motion, remapped 1.9. Sweet runner = keeper. She is the 66th vehicle I've owned and hopefully, the last.

Offline prt57

• Not said much yet
« Reply #15 on: 22 October 2016, 22:14 »
I have a 1998 1.8T with an AGU engine. It as remapped at RTech nearly 40,000 miles ago. Lots of torque now, if peaks at higher torque  figures than a standard TT with the 225 BAM engine and so it pulls well by the time you get to 2.5K revs. BHP only went up to 183 from the original 150. I still enjoy driving the car after owning it for 18 years as you can feel it pull much better.
So get it to somewhere like RTech who will check it is running OK before mapping.
However, having a remap is a slippery slope as after the remap you will want more and more.
I haven't done much else apart from an ITG filter.
Having the 1.8T remapped gave me a taste for it and so I have done much more than stage 1  to my S3 8P. At the moment it is running approx 375 BHP and 390 ft lbs
« Last Edit: 23 October 2016, 05:20 by prt57 »

Online barrym381

• Forum addict
« Reply #16 on: 23 October 2016, 10:34 »
I have a 1998 1.8T with an AGU engine. It as remapped at RTech nearly 40,000 miles ago. Lots of torque now, if peaks at higher torque  figures than a standard TT with the 225 BAM engine and so it pulls well by the time you get to 2.5K revs. BHP only went up to 183 from the original 150. I still enjoy driving the car after owning it for 18 years as you can feel it pull much better.
So get it to somewhere like RTech who will check it is running OK before mapping.
However, having a remap is a slippery slope as after the remap you will want more and more.
I haven't done much else apart from an ITG filter.
Having the 1.8T remapped gave me a taste for it and so I have done much more than stage 1  to my S3 8P. At the moment it is running approx 375 BHP and 390 ft lbs
R- tech can't map his car  :smiley:

Offline Wazzzer

• 10k hero
  • Golf GTI 1.8T AGU
« Reply #17 on: 23 October 2016, 10:35 »
Mine is also mapped by R-Tech (who unfortunately cannot map the AGU any more) and always puts a smile on my face when I drive it

Damn Barry you beat me to it
« Last Edit: 23 October 2016, 10:38 by Wazzzer »

1999 1.8T: R-Tech remap - 225bhp/256lb/ft : K03s : THS FMIC : THS PCR pipe : 2.5" stainless exhaust : THS FR3 Engine mounts : G60/VR6 clutch : Calibra Yellow injectors : VR6 MAF : Devils Own WMI : Forge 007p : Carbonio CAI : Leon Cupra R Brembos : FK AK Street coilovers : Votex skirts : Anniversary front : click ---> http://www.golfgtiforum.co.uk/index.php?topic=92175

Online barrym381

• Forum addict
« Reply #18 on: 23 October 2016, 10:45 »
Mine is also mapped by R-Tech (who unfortunately cannot map the AGU any more) and always puts a smile on my face when I drive it

Damn Barry you beat me to it
Mine is also mapped by them and that's 3 years I have had it mapped making it the longest car in my possession  :smiley:

Offline prt57

• Not said much yet
« Reply #19 on: 23 October 2016, 21:52 »
I did not realise that R Tech cannot map the 1.8T any more. Something I have missed, why has this happened?