Author Topic: Looks like Edition 45 might be on the way  (Read 32516 times)

Offline Jim_mk7.5

• I live here
Re: Looks like Edition 45 might be on the way
« Reply #20 on: 21 December 2020, 11:00 »
Just wish they stick a manual box in it to make it different. Like the old clubsport S. Unlikely to happen sadly. If it did id buy one. :smiley:

There is nothing to stop actually them doing this. They know there is still demand for manuals in performance and sports cars. Just look at the Yaris GR and Porsche aren't exactly afraid of sticking manuals in their special cars.
NOW - 330e M Sport
GONE - 2018 Mk7.5 GTI Performance 5dr DSG, Tungsten Silver, 2017 Mk7.5 GTI 5dr DSG, Indium Grey

Offline Guzzle

• I live here
« Reply #21 on: 21 December 2020, 11:21 »
Just wish they stick a manual box in it to make it different. Like the old clubsport S. Unlikely to happen sadly. If it did id buy one. :smiley:

There is nothing to stop actually them doing this. They know there is still demand for manuals in performance and sports cars. Just look at the Yaris GR and Porsche aren't exactly afraid of sticking manuals in their special cars.

I read somewhere that the US version of the R will be available with a manual box. So I'm sure they could do it if they could be bothered.  :rolleyes:
7.5 GTD

Offline fredgroves

• Serious forum addict
  • Professional Um Bongo drinker
« Reply #22 on: 21 December 2020, 11:54 »
American vw isn't built in Europe though is it. Its all about the logistic tail and simplification of it to reduce cost.
Current: Mk8 GTI DSG, Adelaides, DCC, HUD, HK, Winter Pack, Rear Camera.. Aka "HMS Weasel"

Gone: 2017 Mk7.5 GTD,manual, NavPro
Gone: 2014 Mk7 GTD, manual, NavPro, DCC

Offline SRGTD

• I live here
« Reply #23 on: 21 December 2020, 12:02 »
American vw isn't built in Europe though is it. Its all about the logistic tail and simplification of it to reduce cost.

Mk8 Golf GTI and R models for the US market will be built in Germany, according to this news item in motor1.com;

https://www.motor1.com/news/423131/2022-vw-gti-golf-r/
2020 Polo GTI Plus; Pure White, DSG (because they all are)
Gone but not forgotten;
2016 Polo GTI; Blue Silk
2011 mk6 Golf GTD; Carbon Grey
2007 mk5 Golf GT (2.0 170bhp TDI version); Deep Black Pearl
2002  mk4 Golf GTI (the 150 bhp diesel version); Deep Black Pearl

Offline Jim_mk7.5

• I live here
« Reply #24 on: 21 December 2020, 12:11 »

I read somewhere that the US version of the R will be available with a manual box. So I'm sure they could do it if they could be bothered.  :rolleyes:

I can see why they wouldn't bother for the R, certainly not here in the UK. But a special GTI would work well with a manual as it did for the CSS.
NOW - 330e M Sport
GONE - 2018 Mk7.5 GTI Performance 5dr DSG, Tungsten Silver, 2017 Mk7.5 GTI 5dr DSG, Indium Grey

Offline Snoopy

• Serious forum addict
  • A.K.A. Geoff.
« Reply #25 on: 21 December 2020, 13:07 »
I have a GRY on order, i would have a manual ED45 as well if it was available.
Mk6 GTI  &  Mk1 GTI 
34 years of GTI ownership.

Offline Jim_mk7.5

• I live here
« Reply #26 on: 22 December 2020, 11:11 »
I have a GRY on order, i would have a manual ED45 as well if it was available.

Good choice! So much hype around it but it is actually a great car by all accounts. Just doesn't sound exciting from the outside but that's the only negative I can see.
NOW - 330e M Sport

Offline Snoopy

• Serious forum addict
  • A.K.A. Geoff.
« Reply #27 on: 22 December 2020, 14:10 »
True about the noise outside on the GRY it sounds like a Dyson.. A plus is it doesn't attract attention
A few other negatives but after a test drive I was sold.
Plenty of people working on exhausts if owners want a fix. HKS solution already out.
https://youtu.be/kE55_oyrsdU
I had intended to use the Yaris as my new, year round daily, but having second thoughts about giving it that role. I may push my mk6 GTI into that role or change the mk6 for an Edition45 if they make a manual one.
« Last Edit: 22 December 2020, 14:37 by Snoopy »
Mk6 GTI  &  Mk1 GTI 
34 years of GTI ownership.

Offline king monkey

• I live here
« Reply #28 on: 22 December 2020, 14:32 »
True about the noise outside on the GRY it sounds like a Dyson.. A plus is it doesn't attract attention
 Few other negatives but after a test drive I was sold though.
Plenty of people working on exhausts if owners want a fix. HKS solution already out.
https://youtu.be/kE55_oyrsdU
I had intended to use the Yaris as my new, year round daily, but having second thoughts about giving it that role. I may push my mk6 GTI into that role or change the mk6 for a Edition45 if they make a manual one.

There are some terrible ideas out there but an Edition 45 and a GRY isn’t one of them! Makes total sense to me.
Current: Clubsport45, white, DCC.

Past: Mk5 gti blue graphite, mk6 gti carbon grey, mk6 gti edition 35 candy white, Mk7 pp gti tornado red, 2016 Audi S3 sportback, 2019 7.5 Golf R.

Offline fredgroves

• Serious forum addict
  • Professional Um Bongo drinker
« Reply #29 on: 22 December 2020, 14:40 »
Is the GRY actually a practical car? I'd worry it would be like driving around inside of a washing machine. I'm too old for that lol
Current: Mk8 GTI DSG, Adelaides, DCC, HUD, HK, Winter Pack, Rear Camera.. Aka "HMS Weasel"

Gone: 2017 Mk7.5 GTD,manual, NavPro
Gone: 2014 Mk7 GTD, manual, NavPro, DCC