Author Topic: Timing Chain tensioner Failure List (timing issue)- Please Update with Your Info  (Read 362537 times)

Offline david25

• I live here
This has just happened to my 60 plate gti with just over 70k on the clock.

Took to my local independent garage who have quoted £4.5k for a new engine, and that is with a deal on the labour  :sick:

Going to get in touch with VW to see if there is anything they will do but not holding my breath. Has anyone had any luck with a similar age / mileage car with no warranty?

Shouldnt a 60 plate be OK?

60 is September 2010 to Feb 2011, so after the May 2010 build date
Now = 2011 MK6 GTI - Reflex Silver
Past = 2006 MK5 GTI - Tornado Red and Solid Black

Offline jackday1986

• Just got here
Mines just gone -

2010 GTI 65000 miles.

IN an indy at the moment and 3rd party warranty company are refusing to pay out as they are saying its wear and tear.

Next port of call is VW to see if they will contribute.

Is there a letter or similar somewhere I can use?

Offline david25

• I live here

Offline david25

• I live here
Mines just gone -

2010 GTI 65000 miles.

Can you tell us the registration date?

Offline MikeAlanCas

• Just got here
Had the diagnosis on mine this morning  :sick:

08 Plate 1.4 TSi GT (140) - 75000m on the clock.

Took to a fantastic independent garage this morning (CIVS) after Engine Management Warning flashed up earlier this week and they've said 99% sure the timing chain has slipped meaning likely engine strip to replace tensioners and extras.

Staring a big job and £1000 in the face.

Wondering if anyone has paid for the work and had any problems since work being done or better to cut losses, trade in and just get a new set of wheels?
1.4 TSi GT (140) Tornado Red

Offline joe6

• I live here
Price seems about right. VW now do a 'pack' that includes tensioner, chain and sprockets etc that works out cheaper than buying separately. From memory a couple of people have had further problems on this thread but only changed the tensioner not the complete set.
Mk6 GTI Carbon Grey, 2010 Bluetooth and voice fitted, a few VCDS mods still a comfortable family car. Red Scirocco 2011 twin charger stage 1 - enjoyable drive now gone.  White 2016 Polo GTI (roller skate on steroids) replaced with an Indium Grey 2019 7.5 GTI PP.

Offline Hardwell

• Not said much yet
You've probably made the decision now anyway, but for what it's worth, I had the chain, tensioner and guides changed at 80k/December 2015 after the original chain slipped and it's been as good as gold since.  I still have the car but will be getting rid of it soon for an A class Merc. 

I would never trust VW again after letting this mess happen and not doing the decent thing in the first place and recalling all affected models - no matter how much it would have cost them!
MK6 Golf GTi - Candy White - Xenons - RNS510 - Dynaudio - Bluetooth - 18" Monzas. Mods so far - Genuine LED rears - Milltek exhaust.

Offline Snoopy

• Serious forum addict
  • A.K.A. Geoff.
I would avoid BMW as well as they have had issues with chains and tensioners too and ignored the issue. :wink:

Price seems about right. VW now do a 'pack' that includes tensioner, chain and sprockets etc that works out cheaper than buying separately. From memory a couple of people have had further problems on this thread but only changed the tensioner not the complete set.
The cars are getting mileagey now, so I wouldn't recommend simply changing the tensioner anymore.
The design of the chain meens it will stretch with use..
Mk6 GTI  &  Mk1 GTI 
34 years of GTI ownership.

Offline Hardwell

• Not said much yet
Does anyone know if there have been similar issues with the MK7 GTi?  The earliest must be getting on for four years old now...

MK6 Golf GTi - Candy White - Xenons - RNS510 - Dynaudio - Bluetooth - 18" Monzas. Mods so far - Genuine LED rears - Milltek exhaust.

Offline joe6

• I live here
Does anyone know if there have been similar issues with the MK7 GTi?  The earliest must be getting on for four years old now...

Not heard of any. Why not post this query on the MK7 thread?
Mk6 GTI Carbon Grey, 2010 Bluetooth and voice fitted, a few VCDS mods still a comfortable family car. Red Scirocco 2011 twin charger stage 1 - enjoyable drive now gone.  White 2016 Polo GTI (roller skate on steroids) replaced with an Indium Grey 2019 7.5 GTI PP.