Poll

Do you regret the choice of colour you opted for

No, it's exactly the colour i wanted and I love it
37 (57.8%)
Didn't really have much choice as I purchased used
7 (10.9%)
Yes, never really jelled with the colour and wish I could go back and choose again
2 (3.1%)
Never thought about it really ?
3 (4.7%)
TBH, VW's colour pallet is crap and limited in any case, so it was the best of a bad bunch
15 (23.4%)

Total Members Voted: 64

Author Topic: Do you regret your colour choice  (Read 8101 times)

Offline P6GTD

• Here all the time
Re: Do you regret your colour choice
« Reply #60 on: 25 September 2020, 21:49 »
Can never understand why they dropped Reflex Silver for the 7.5. In my opinion the best colour ever which is why my last Mk7 was bought as one of the last new Mk 7 Reflex Silver GTIs when the 7.5 was already out.
Reflex Silver is a classic colour and lesser Golfs have, I think, remained available in that or v similar.
Does anyone know why they dropped this colour for the facelift?

So after some replies telling me my favourite Reflex Silver was “so yesterday” and one of the least ordered colours on the Mk7, guess one of the few metallics offered on the Mk8 GTI?
Maybe RS is now “so next year”??
2019 5Dr Mk7.5 Performance DSG. Indium Grey with DCC (and TCR spoiler)

(Previously two Mk7 GTIs, Mk6 GTI and Mk6 GTD)

Offline fredgroves

• Serious forum addict
  • Professional Um Bongo drinker
« Reply #61 on: 25 September 2020, 22:02 »
Maybe nobody will order it this time either lol.

Even less choice than before now.
Current: Mk8 GTI DSG, Adelaides, DCC, HUD, HK, Winter Pack, Rear Camera.. Aka "HMS Weasel"

Gone: 2017 Mk7.5 GTD,manual, NavPro
Gone: 2014 Mk7 GTD, manual, NavPro, DCC

Offline P6GTD

• Here all the time
« Reply #62 on: 26 September 2020, 02:15 »
Haha, I was waiting for your reply Fred.
The colour choices on the Mk8 are pretty poor bearing in mind the price point.
I wonder if they anticipate lower volume sales than the Mk7?
Anyway, who knows. My engagement with this topic has run out!
2019 5Dr Mk7.5 Performance DSG. Indium Grey with DCC (and TCR spoiler)

(Previously two Mk7 GTIs, Mk6 GTI and Mk6 GTD)

Offline candy turbo

• Here all the time
« Reply #63 on: 26 September 2020, 08:58 »
Having owned a tornado red Golf, I switched to Indium. Despite being careful with it, the Tornado red chipped and swirled, alarmingly. While I love its appearance I think it is a ‘soft’ paint colour that marks very easily. .

Any paint needs looking after to look its best and TR looks amazing.

ceramic coating , keeps it swirl free and seems to resist chips too
I can confirm that a ceramic coating definitely does not stop stone chips. I had Gtechniq on my previous GTi and the front bumper and bonnet suffered with the usual stone chips.

Absolutely right. If a 35 micron ceramic coating could resist stone chips, someone would have developed 1mm thick bullet proof glass with the tech.

To me this is the downside to professionally applied ceramic coatings. At least a user applied sealant can be topped up when you get a chip.
just talking from my experience , since i had my car gyeon coated i havent picked up any more chips ! my car is nt used much but before it had a chip after every outing !
clubsport S no 215

Offline rwleigh

• Here all the time
  • Richard.
« Reply #64 on: 26 September 2020, 10:11 »
Always wanted white and still think it's the best colour for a CS... :cool:

Golf GTI CS40 #010 | Manual | 5 door | Pure White | Car-Net | 90% tints | Winter Pack | REVO stage 1

Offline candy turbo

• Here all the time
« Reply #65 on: 26 September 2020, 12:06 »
My Clubsport is red and I love it, didn't order the black roof it came with which made the dealer sweat a bit until I said I liked it.
I do regret ordering the 19" Brescia wheels instead of leaving it with the default Quaranta, but when I ordered the car I didn't imagine they would offer Brescia on just about everything!
But my main, and I mean HUGE, regret is not ordering the wingback seats. What was I thinking?  :cry:
got to say ordering an ed40 from new without the wingbacks is madness 🤪
clubsport S no 215

Offline Moro

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #66 on: 26 September 2020, 15:12 »
Next month I will have owned my RS Golf GTi for 7 years and I am still loving the car in this the colour. I do not intend to sell this anytime soon. Not my daily driver anymore though...I am on my second BEV now.
GTi Reflex Silver 5 door DSG: Sat Nav Pro; Dynaudio; Panoramic Roof; ACC; Keyless; Winter Pack; Reversing Camera

Offline Colh

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #67 on: 27 September 2020, 10:46 »
My wife wanted red, and I wanted the Indium grey.  We compromised on black even though I said I wouldn't get black again after our 2010 GTD. 

Its a cracking colour when clean, but pretty bad when dirty.  The colour pallette we get in the UK is a bit crap to be honest.
Current: 2021 MK8 GTI DSG Atlantic Blue
Gone: 2018 MK7.5 GTI Deep Pearl Black
Gone: 2015 MK7 Match Night Blue
Gone: 2010 MK6 GTD Deep Pearl Black
Gone: 2008 MK5 Match Blue

Offline fredgroves

• Serious forum addict
  • Professional Um Bongo drinker
« Reply #68 on: 27 September 2020, 10:57 »
The colour pallette we get in the UK is a bit crap to be honest.

Worse on the Mk8.... and it seems the Mk8 colours are even exactly the same in Germany too!
Current: Mk8 GTI DSG, Adelaides, DCC, HUD, HK, Winter Pack, Rear Camera.. Aka "HMS Weasel"

Gone: 2017 Mk7.5 GTD,manual, NavPro
Gone: 2014 Mk7 GTD, manual, NavPro, DCC

Offline Hertsman

• I live here
« Reply #69 on: 28 September 2020, 13:26 »
Have had GTD (white) and R (Lapiz) and now the Pure Grey and to be honest liked the previous colours on them cars and would live with both now happily as the GTD had a lot of black contrasts, that 'stormtrooper' look and the Lapiz was signature and really pinged and worked great with the Pretoria

But the pure grey on the TCR is by far my favourite with all the black contrasts, the Reifnitz, the red on calipers and the badge and stripe and the 90% tints. Feel got the very best of the MK 7 series fall into my lap with the TCR in terms of performance, styling and that Akrapovic and its one of the rare times that not look at anything else aside from the next echelon of cars with any envy.
Present - BMW 128Ti Alpine White, 18" Performance Tyres, Sun Protection Glass, Parking Assist, Heated Steering, Boston Trim, Split Folding Rear Seats, Electric Lumbar Support
- 2nd car: 2019 Golf R DSG Pure White 19" Black Pretoria, Privacy Glass, Rear View Camera, Dynaudio, Keyless
- 2019 Pure Grey GTI TCR 5 Door DSG Reifinitz Wheel DCC Climate Screen 90% Tint
- 2016 Lapiz Blue Golf R 5 Door DSG Pretoria DCC
- 2013 Pure White GTD 5 Door DSG DCC