Author Topic: Not another tension failure... That's whats wrong with my GTI!  (Read 32123 times)

Offline andykram

• I live here
Re: Not another tension failure... That's whats wrong with my GTI!
« Reply #40 on: 19 September 2013, 18:47 »
Jimmgc is spot on about the noise. Mine would rattle for a second or so on cold start up and then run as normal. You could literally turn it off 10 seconds later and the start up the second time would be fine. Mine sounded awful on first start up after we were away for a fortnight last month as an example and was fine for the rest of that day unless it was left a few hours.
I now reckon I would consider this a four year expense.

Offline mike.

• I live here
« Reply #41 on: 19 September 2013, 18:52 »
The latest release of the Tensioner 06K109467K was only released on 01/05/12 so any fitted before this are probably at risk.
Interestingly there is an extra note with a red stop sign in ETKA saying "Spare part must not be used any more please use replacement"
Mk6 GTI 3dr | DSG | Tornado Red | 18" Monza 2 | LED Xenons | RNS510 | Bluetooth | Smoked LED tails | Cruise | Reversing Camera | TPMS | - now sold :(

Offline Ratski

• Not said much yet
« Reply #42 on: 19 September 2013, 20:00 »
So after becoming a bit nervous about this I contacted two local vw dealers to find out a bit more and likely cost for new tensioner.

Couldn't believe it when the first rang me and tried to convince me my car was belt driven! Seriously from a dealer what a joke

And the second dealer consulted a technician who said listen for a clicking sound for 5 seconds on start up each morning. After a while he came back with an unitemised quote for £1300. Had an felling he did that as they haven't got a clue what I'm on about which may be a good sign this isn't effecting hundreds of cars.

I definitely can't afford that kind of money for something that might never fail. I just hope if the worst happens vw will honour most the bill.

Offline Jimmgc51

• Here all the time
« Reply #43 on: 19 September 2013, 20:54 »
So after becoming a bit nervous about this I contacted two local vw dealers to find out a bit more and likely cost for new tensioner.

Couldn't believe it when the first rang me and tried to convince me my car was belt driven! Seriously from a dealer what a joke

And the second dealer consulted a technician who said listen for a clicking sound for 5 seconds on start up each morning. After a while he came back with an unitemised quote for £1300. Had an felling he did that as they haven't got a clue what I'm on about which may be a good sign this isn't effecting hundreds of cars.

I definitely can't afford that kind of money for something that might never fail. I just hope if the worst happens vw will honour most the bill.

Well when I PUSHED!! My GTI from the forecourt a load of mechanics came out to help and one asked what's happened to it, as soon as I said its been clicking on start up then it rough idled one day to never start again he said tensioner straight away, also the other 5 all nodded. That reaction doesn't come from people that have hardly seen it before.

You can probably get it done at an independent sure its only about £400-500.

Alternatively risk it that's what I decided to do after sound advice from VW  :angry:

And hope the bill isn't too much

Also I'm pretty sure the fact the car has got FVSH has helped...
Golf GTI 09, CW, Bi-Xenon, DCC, 18" Monza's, Jakarta, RNS510, Dynaudio, F&R parking sensors, Winter pack...

Ibiza Deep House mix for DL - https://soundcloud.com/jimmgc51/getting-deep-with-house

Offline Ratski

• Not said much yet
« Reply #44 on: 19 September 2013, 21:15 »
Have they mentioned a rough cost to you yet.
Also my car seems to click a title after shut down , would anyway know if that should be of concern?

This potential problem is a joke vw should sort it for free

Offline Jimmgc51

• Here all the time
« Reply #45 on: 19 September 2013, 21:26 »
Have they mentioned a rough cost to you yet.
Also my car seems to click a title after shut down , would anyway know if that should be of concern?

This potential problem is a joke vw should sort it for free

Never on shut down only start up, but I must stress that these were my symptoms but seem to match others.

As for cost unsure at this stage until they strip engine (next few days) it's only suspect tensioner but all sign point towards as we'll as errors thrown by car.

I'll update as soon as a price has negotiated I I think that's how this is going to play out, how good you are at it and what ammo you have to use against them, this point also works for them also.
Golf GTI 09, CW, Bi-Xenon, DCC, 18" Monza's, Jakarta, RNS510, Dynaudio, F&R parking sensors, Winter pack...

Ibiza Deep House mix for DL - https://soundcloud.com/jimmgc51/getting-deep-with-house

Offline Ratski

• Not said much yet
« Reply #46 on: 19 September 2013, 21:41 »
 Im probably being paranoid about my clicking. I sure I can hear something clicking away but it's constant and does not go away after 5-10 seconds which suggests it may be normal

Hope you can sort a deal with the stealers mate.

Offline AaronMc

• Not said much yet
  • GTI Life..
« Reply #47 on: 19 September 2013, 22:11 »
I have just wrote to VW regarding the issue, and again to see if they are willing to do anything on my 09 GTI as a preventative measure.
Golf GTI MK6 Manual - Tornado Red with Jacara Cloth, Monza Shadows, RNS510, Dynaudio System, Fiscon Bluetooth, Front & Rear Park Sensors, ACC, Cruise Control, Winter Pack & Xenon Lights.

Offline squirrelGTi

• Here all the time
« Reply #48 on: 20 September 2013, 08:33 »
I wonder if it's worth us starting a poll to see what percentage of us have had this problem?

What do you think guys?

Gone GTi | 3dr | Manual | Carbon Grey | Xenons | Monza 18's | RCD 510 |Rear Camera | Winter Pack.

Offline Snoopy

• Serious forum addict
  • A.K.A. Geoff.
« Reply #49 on: 20 September 2013, 08:40 »
Im probably being paranoid about my clicking. I sure I can hear something clicking away but it's constant and does not go away after 5-10 seconds which suggests it may be normal

Hope you can sort a deal with the stealers mate.
mine does that mine has two noisy fuel injectors.

Listen near the cam cover if its noisy there theb worry.

As for when please read my previous posts on threads on here.
Its ONLY AT STARTUP AFTER THE CAR HAS RESTED AND HAS LOW OIL PRESSURE WERE IT USES THE RATCHET ON THE TENSIONER UNTIL OIL PRESSURE TAKES OVER THE TENSION.
It wont happen if you only stop for a short time as the tensioner tensions with oil pressure and drops back onto its ratchet when oil pressure is low ie when the car rests for a while.
Ill not explain it all fully as ive done it many many times already.
« Last Edit: 20 September 2013, 08:43 by Snoopy »
Mk6 GTI  &  Mk1 GTI 
34 years of GTI ownership.