Author Topic: madmanluke's supercharged mk2 VR  (Read 147056 times)

Offline Bellend

• I live here
Re: madmanluke's supercharged mk2 VR
« Reply #620 on: 10 May 2013, 19:23 »

It's the angles. As you go forward in a crash, the belts will just pull downwards. With standard 3 point, they are mounted in a way that this doesn't happen.

What can happen is it will compress so much it could end up snapping seat backs and your back. Obviously this is in extreme accidents and all that but tbh I do agree with DH here and would get it sorted properly. Backs can be damaged by the slightest jolt.

Where all my moneys went.

Golf MK3 1.6. Golf MK3 8v GTI.

Offline molegti

• Here all the time
« Reply #621 on: 10 May 2013, 19:24 »
Dude, lighten up. If you had that view about everything in life you wouldn't leave the house!

I'll be keeping them though. I fail to see how more contact/holding points on the body is worse than having a single strap diagonally over the body. Not to mention harnesses are mandatory for pretty much any FIA spec race series. Why are all the guys not in standard 3 point retractable seat belts?  That's a serious question by the way...

And hey, I'm aimlessly going round this car with out a clue just bolting sh!t together, i'm cool with that. It's worked out so far
;)  :rolleyes:

Its the anchorage points rather than the harness thats the issue.

Offline Bellend

• I live here
« Reply #622 on: 10 May 2013, 19:27 »
This not an option if available in the UK?

http://www.sparcousa.com/product/harness-bar

Offline molegti

• Here all the time
« Reply #623 on: 10 May 2013, 19:31 »
This not an option if available in the UK?

http://www.sparcousa.com/product/harness-bar

Or if not have it fabricated given the effort thats gone into the rest of the car.

Offline madmanluke

• I live here
« Reply #624 on: 10 May 2013, 19:52 »
Fair points.

The side points are in the same locations as factory 3 points, the rear is the only difference. Can't see how the harness bar will make too much of a difference since the entry locations on the seat dont change for the harnesses.

All this said, they will still be staying. Exactly as said, whilst it doesn't need to be extreme cases, every case is different. You can bet your ass that the crash that does happen will be the one where the harness in that case saves your life rather than the belt or visa versa.

The seats were always a interim solution for not needing to figure out a standard mk2 recaro interior straight away. The theme has stuck and I like it for now. Yes, form over function. so sue me.   :smug:

Offline Diamond Hell

• Serious forum addict
  • Opinions я Us
« Reply #625 on: 11 May 2013, 00:58 »
Pffft - it's your dime.

Just know that to anyone with half an ounce of knowledge about motorsport safety (even a bellend) will know what you've done is sh*t.

The harness bar is a dumb-f*ck idea by the way.

The angle of the entry of the harnesses makes a big difference because the harnesses will tear down through the seat-back in a crash - compressing your spine, as previously advertised.

Not only are the shoulder mountings going to hurt you a LOT in a crash, but because the belts are noncey little 2" harnesses designed for idiot boy racers, not motorsport, they'll probably do your collarbones, too.  Oh and they'll stretch because you have them all the way down to the rear belt mounts - a nice long stretchy length.

Which means you might as well be wearing a lap belt.

Proper harnesses are 3" width and come with FIA labels with dates on them.

What you need as a minimum for the shoulder straps (when you have some proper won't-kill-you harnesses) is 120cm sq of 3mm strengthening plate welded around both of the rear turrets and 38mm diameter, 2.6mm wall-thickness Cold Drawn Steel (CDS) tube welded between them.

Just like I was doing on Dave's G2 a couple of hours ago.

You've put enough effort in elsewhere, why are you compromising on your safety?
Just because you're offended doesn't make you right.

Holiday cottages on the Isle of Wight for 2-10 people? PM me.

Offline Bellend

• I live here
« Reply #626 on: 11 May 2013, 09:35 »
What's wrong with the bar?

Offline madmanluke

• I live here
« Reply #627 on: 11 May 2013, 09:41 »
Good info. But I think your slightly skewed on where the point is.  If safety was of a concern, I'm not being funny but the mk2 golf is a car I would not get in at all...full stop.

Good info though!

Offline Diamond Hell

• Serious forum addict
  • Opinions я Us
« Reply #628 on: 11 May 2013, 09:55 »
If safety was of a concern, I'm not being funny but the mk2 golf is a car I would not get in at all...full stop.

You've not seen my build thread then?  :grin:

What part of 120cm sq of load-spreading mountings do you see in the pictures illustrating those bars?

Does it say 38mm dia tubing with 2.6mm wall thickness in the description?

The answer is no and I've seen pictures of them where they've failed in accidents.  Golf2 also isn't listed in the cars it fits. Basically it's like applying a sticking plaster to a broken leg.
Just because you're offended doesn't make you right.

Holiday cottages on the Isle of Wight for 2-10 people? PM me.

Offline Bellend

• I live here
« Reply #629 on: 11 May 2013, 13:09 »
If safety was of a concern, I'm not being funny but the mk2 golf is a car I would not get in at all...full stop.

You've not seen my build thread then?  :grin:

What part of 120cm sq of load-spreading mountings do you see in the pictures illustrating those bars?

Does it say 38mm dia tubing with 2.6mm wall thickness in the description?

The answer is no and I've seen pictures of them where they've failed in accidents.  Golf2 also isn't listed in the cars it fits. Basically it's like applying a sticking plaster to a broken leg.

Is that not for track use though?

Fair enough if they've broken but surely stock seatbelt mounting's should be up to the job, no? All the force is pretty much on the one bolt in a 3-point. No idea how they could sell them otherwise.