Author Topic: wiring up JBL sub in mk3 golf gti. 5 DOOR....  (Read 7577 times)

Offline christomk3gti

• I live here
wiring up JBL sub in mk3 golf gti. 5 DOOR....
« on: 21 October 2008, 13:25 »
hi peeps, just got myself a mk 3 golf gti on a P reg. 5 DOOR, got it cos its in mint condition.
Anyway I'm wanting to wire up my JBL Sub and Amp.
Where do i run the wires through the car? Nice detailed explaination required please.
if u could help that wud be gr8 :)
thanks.
Black 8v GTI............. Whats a Waffle Valve?

Offline christomk3gti

• I live here
Re: wiring up JBL sub in mk3 golf gti. 5 DOOR....
« Reply #1 on: 21 October 2008, 13:26 »
one more thing, I also want my 6X9's on the back shelf, how will i get the wiring from the back doors to the boot.

Offline christomk3gti

• I live here
« Reply #2 on: 21 October 2008, 16:10 »
Neeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeed info on how to do it plz...
reallllly need my sub and amp in the booot.

Offline TimMan

• Not said much yet
« Reply #3 on: 21 October 2008, 16:18 »
Just dissconnect the rear door speakers then use new speaker cable for your 6x9's and route it the same way as your sub cables.

There are prob a hundred different ways to send the cables. Mine go under the rear seat then down under the trim down the side of the car, this is where all the car wiring goes so it will look neat and in place.

Give me a shout if you need more help.

Offline christomk3gti

• I live here
« Reply #4 on: 21 October 2008, 16:46 »
cheers for the 6x9 info, thats how i thought i'd do it.

the sub and amp wiring is more a problem, i darn't remove any panels or pull up carpet incase it wont go back :) haha,
I'm wanting the main power wire from the battery (RED WIRE) down the passenger side, and the wires from the head unit going down the drivers side. if i remove carpets and panels are they easily put back (and put back tightly) i mean, I dont want lumps in the carpet :)
but anyway, thanks for the reply.. I'll try installing it 2moro :) and i'll get back 2 u.

Offline troublestarter

• I live here
« Reply #5 on: 21 October 2008, 17:31 »
you do not need to remove the carpets
the cables will all fit inside the sill covers no problem
power cable entry point into the car is a grommet below the header tank

you do not need to remove the doorcards to fit the front speakers as the grilles just pop off
the tweeters come out really easily
you will not need to remove the rear door cards to do the speaker connections as when you remove the side trims you will find the speaker wires below the front seat belt brackets
cut them and connect your new speaker cable to these and run it back to the 6x9's
www.awesomeautomotive.co.uk<br />mobile vehicle security & audio fitting service<br />insurance accredited

Offline christomk3gti

• I live here
« Reply #6 on: 22 October 2008, 11:25 »
I've had a look, at the drivers side, there is one screw next to the throttle, and there is one more just next to the seat belt at the bottom. I've taken them off, but the plastic sill is still tight as, as if theres some other screws somewhere. are there some kind of clips that you just pull the sill out and then u can put it back on?
On the passenger side, exactly the same screws, yet this side is very slack for some reason, and I could just push the wires up in the sill, the main problem i'm going to have is, at the back door area, how the heck am i going to put the wires from there to the boot. coz everything is soooo bluddy tight. sooooooooooooooo confused. :undecided:

I neeed red main wire down the passenger side and the phono and little blue wire from the head unit down the driver side.
This is to stop any interfierence I presume.......... am I right?

If you could maybe upload some pics to show exactly how to run the wires through, and exactly what I need to remove then that would be great.
i.e. from under the dash to the boot.
I darn't pull out the sill incase it snaps :(

I've heard golfs are well built but this is a nitemare haha.

Novice Golf GTI Owner :) haha

Offline Shady Pioneer

• Serious forum addict
  • graphic designer.
« Reply #7 on: 22 October 2008, 18:17 »
How'd you get on matey?

VeeDubClub

« Reply #8 on: 23 October 2008, 16:33 »
Where you live mate? I'm sure if your really struggeling somone local would be able to drop by and give some more effective advice for beer tokens etc  :wink:

Offline christomk3gti

• I live here
« Reply #9 on: 24 October 2008, 16:48 »
haha, beer tokens :)

alright shady, yeah I just done it half hour ago, got the sub working fine, was abit of a nightmare getting wires through n stuff, but managed to do it, got sore fingers now lol. theres one thing i wanted to ask you guys, I have put the ground cable from the amp to one of the rear light clusters mounting bolts, is that ok? and yes i have scraped down to the metal so it has a good earth.

As for the 6x9's i'm not gunna bother with them, i'm thinkin of getting some nice door speakers as i was talkin to u the other day.
a friend of mine loves his golf mk 3's, and may have some sony speakers for me :) along with some other bits and bobs, i.e. VR6 front spoiler (extended version to the gti) and an alarm system.

Anyway, while on the subject of all this, Mine is a Black 5 Goor GTI, with the standard alloys, I'm wanting some nice 17" wheels,
Not sure which ones tho, you may be able to help, I'm hoping to get a set that i can put VW centre caps in them, anyone got any ideas? and I'd pay up to 400quid for some.

one more thing, its a P REG, 97. Is DOES NOT have an imobiliser fitted to it, why is that? my mate has never seen one without an imobiliser, (he had loads of golfs and breaks them to sell, he wonderes if it was a german imported golf gti) NOTE.... I dont have a Key Fob either. just 2 KEYS, one with a light in it and one without. both VW Keys.

anyway thanks for the help, much appreciated :)

p.s. if you have any idead of any wheels, upload some pics or web links etc.... thanks in advance