Author Topic: Sub in parcel shelf  (Read 8355 times)

Offline Len

• 10k hero
  • Guardian of the Seas, Protector of Waves
Re:Sub in parcel shelf
« Reply #30 on: 18 June 2004, 12:51 »
Now this free to air/ box stuff - maybe a bit controversial here but whats the difference????

Now i can tell ya that over the many years - i have looked at hundreds of speakers out of hi-fi's, radios, ICE. Now i can tell ya they dont look any different. They all got a cone and a magnet.

Now what they all do is push air. The magnet makes the cone move and threfore causes a vibration that becomes sound waves.

Now in a sealed box the sound waves have nowhere to go, therefore the air pressure must press on the cone. I think what this does is give a more punchy feel to the sound.

So in my opinion it dont really matter how u mount a speaker.
Mystic Blue Mk3 16v + Black Mk5 Gti 05 plate + Peugeot 405 Mi16

www.sas.org.uk
www.the-ace.org.uk

Offline Overseer

• I live here
« Reply #31 on: 18 June 2004, 14:17 »
the air pressure thing is what stops the speaker blowing when you turn it up too loud... it also is to do with sound wave ejected backwards when the cone moves. too large a box and it seems stifled.. too tight and you dont get enough movement.

there are 1000s websites out there with all the relevant calculations on.

believe me, boxes are a lot lot better..  you get waaaaaaaay deeper notes out of the sub.

i ran my sub quietly out of the car when i wired my in, and to be frank it sounded kinda wet. with the boxes installed it booms.... no contest.

I was lucky to have met a bunch of guys into car audio when i came to work where I am.. I suggest you read up a lil on the suibject.

as i said befiore.. no one, but one i have seen ever ever ever has put a sub in a car thats not in a box. its unheard of!!
Used to have a '97 MK3 16v GTI 3dr in 'Black Magic'... now have a '55 Civic Type-S...

Offline JMallows

• I live here
« Reply #32 on: 26 June 2004, 00:25 »
The way i see it there are two different types of speaker. A sealed one, and a non-sealed. I thought the sealed speakers were infinite baffle. This means if you have two speakers in a box, when ou push one in, the other will come out etc... These spekers produce a bewtter sound, but need a lot more power to drive them. Can't remember why there better, will find out and let you know. I would imagine it would improve responsiveness, ie with a normal speaker, the speker wuold push out, but theres not much to force it back in. With infinite baffle, it would be forced back in by the vaccum, which should make a "crisper" sound

A clever person solves a problem. A wise person avoids it.

VeeDubGTI16v

« Reply #33 on: 27 June 2004, 17:04 »
yep sealed boxes are the best ;)