Author Topic: Car Stereo always on?! - Sorted now - read if u wanna see how :-)  (Read 8606 times)

Offline BSCR

• GTI forum regular
Sorry if this has been asked before and is common problem, but i don't need my keys in the ignition, or the car turned on to use my stereo, this means it doesn't go off with the car so im worried about it running the battery down? Any advice?

Merry Christmas Guys - im asking now as iv just got a new head unit today! Can play my ipod through the aux port, i love it!

« Last Edit: 28 December 2007, 18:50 by BSCR »

Offline kae

• GTI forum regular
  • Mk3 8V GTI - Almost Standard.....
Re: Car Stereo always on?!
« Reply #1 on: 25 December 2007, 21:23 »
You've got your live and switched live wires the wrong way round.

Kae.
It if can't be achieved with brute force and ignorance, then the Haynes manual will have to be read!

Offline Mikester

• Forum addict
  • Civic Type R
« Reply #2 on: 25 December 2007, 21:36 »
switch the RED and YELLOW wires. YELLOW is the wire that is always live from the battery, normaly used to keep the battery charged so you dont loose your stations, and the RED is the live from the ignition, so when u turn on the car, the stereo has power

Offline BSCR

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #3 on: 26 December 2007, 00:10 »
nice one guys, unfortunately i couldn't just plug and play as some1 butchered the loom b4 i got it, so i had to wire it in permanently, ill switch them tomorrow.  :grin:

if any of this christmas booze is out my system, ill take it 4 a spin with some decent audio for a change, i need to replace the rear 6X4's and will prob replace the front door pod speakers.

Offline Ruji

• GTI forum regular
  • Mk3 Golf GTi 8v (96) Anniversary Edition
« Reply #4 on: 26 December 2007, 13:48 »
if the original wires have been butchered as you say..then chances are..switching the red n yellow round still wont help as they may both still be running off one LIVE cable further down the line...so best to get the ole multimeter out n checking if you even have a ignition LIVE..perhaps one v the spare cables that have been ignored n taped up!

try the switching of wires first, but if its always on, i dont think it will resolve your problem. as it will result in the same situation whether the red goes to yellow and vice versa. theyr both most likely wired to 1 constant LIVE cable from the car side of the loom.

chek that out n see how u get on!
Why pay big bucks when you can do it yourself???
http://i224.photobucket.com/albums/dd23/rujiboy/WheelRefurbishmentProcess1.jpg
sig pic too large, see forum guidelines - admin

Offline Mikester

• Forum addict
  • Civic Type R
« Reply #5 on: 26 December 2007, 15:07 »
I butchered my own loom as someone SEMI butchered it before me, they may be switched, but the chances are they were only butchered becuase the last owner CBA to get a conversion cable from car to HU.

Offline Dec

• I live here
« Reply #6 on: 26 December 2007, 15:10 »
if the original wires have been butchered as you say..then chances are..switching the red n yellow round still wont help as they may both still be running off one LIVE cable further down the line...so best to get the ole multimeter out n checking if you even have a ignition LIVE..perhaps one v the spare cables that have been ignored n taped up!

try the switching of wires first, but if its always on, i dont think it will resolve your problem. as it will result in the same situation whether the red goes to yellow and vice versa. theyr both most likely wired to 1 constant LIVE cable from the car side of the loom.

chek that out n see how u get on!

Thats whats on mine atm :sad: Ive got both the red and yellow cables going to the same place :sad:

Is there any quick and easy fix? dont want to mess about wiring it into the ignition just want it to turn off completly and not drain the battery when its aparently off.

Dont need to worry about keeping my radio stations tuned either btw so anything would be a help :)
« Last Edit: 26 December 2007, 15:12 by Dec MK2 »

Offline Mikester

• Forum addict
  • Civic Type R
« Reply #7 on: 26 December 2007, 15:29 »
Depends, follow the loom back as far as you can, use a multi meter to test the wires. If you just have a live to the battery and no iginition wire i wouldnt know how to make a new one. But providing you car had one originally, it must be in there somewhere! Just follow the loom back as far as you can, take some dash out. And you will find it somewhere. The last owner probably just thought it was broken as when the engine was off and he was fitting his HU. there was no power.

DAMN THOSE LAST OWNERS!!

Offline Dec

• I live here
« Reply #8 on: 26 December 2007, 16:01 »
Yer the bit thats been bodged with the red + yellow into one is right near the head unit so hopefully it wont be too far to find the other one. Will it be one going to the ignition?

Cheers mate :)

Offline Mikester

• Forum addict
  • Civic Type R
« Reply #9 on: 26 December 2007, 16:42 »
Should be yeah, its just some loser cut it as they didnt know, it might be caught up further down the line somehwere, but its in there somehwere, just need to have a good hunt around!