Author Topic: Amp remote cable  (Read 7155 times)

Offline Dec

• I live here
Re: Amp remote cable
« Reply #10 on: 19 December 2007, 22:01 »
Thanks ive got about £40 so i'll spend it wisely! i suppose if i get this bit right now, then when i get a better sub i will be able to just plug the new one in with the cables i lay now :smiley:

Found the installation manuel for the sub (says on the side Sony xplod XS-AW200X) I know its an old one and only 8" but works and being a student i dont have loads of money. :laugh:

http://pdf.crse.com/manuals/3045122112.pdf

When using a car audio without a remote output, connect the remote input cord to the accessory power supply of the car

Might sound thick but whats the accessory power supply? is that just the main power cable i said about connecting it to?

Offline Ruji

• GTI forum regular
  • Mk3 Golf GTi 8v (96) Anniversary Edition
« Reply #11 on: 19 December 2007, 22:16 »
dude....stop wot your doing....u do not need to get a switch!!!
a remote wire can be any grade of wire...there is no quality loss...it does just act as a "switch on" lead.
If you have a sony, pioneer, alpine, jvc, panasonic, even ripspeed and many others that come with a separate power cable with 2 ISO plugs on, then u can patch ur remote wire into the blue indicated wire on that wire.

Any other radio u have whether its blaupunkt,clarion...even the LG units or a radio that does not have its own separate power lead...but has a ISO plug ready for it to plugged in on the back of the radio (provided the car has ISO plugs) will still take a remote lead...but u have to patch it into oneof the cables on teh factory wiring loom for the radio...

If you find your car wiring plugs are separated by means of speakers and another for power supply, then that is easier to work with.

you basically want to use a multimeter/voltage tester to see which cable is LIVE when the radio is on only...so to test...illiminate the original car LIVE's that power the radio which is permanent and ignition wires...(do this before the radio is plugged in..n if ya like..mark em so that u know after!

the ground cable will be located below one of the stereo LIVE's furthest to the end of the block.
so that will elliminate your earth and 2 powers.

Now you have maybe 2 or 3 spare cables to play with. Plug in the radio and then turn it on by means of ignition and everything so that the radio is powered up. then test any of the spare cables to see which one is LIVE also. once u get a LIVE reading of average 11/12.96 etc... then by leaving the ignition still on...turn the stereo u have OFF from the STEREO ONLY (NOT THE IGNITION)

Once you have done this, you should find that the LIVE reading you got is now back to "0"...that has then located your remote wire of which you want to patch your amp remote wire into...by whatever means you want whether you use crimp locks...but you must assure you dont chop the wire completely as it needs to still contact the pin its attached to from behind the radio by means of the ISO block.

In essence, power is coming from the radio when it is "ON ONLY" back down a cable to activate possible electric car aerials...if you have one...otherwise left spare as an optional extra or to cater to activate sumthing else..but nevertheless, that is the wire u want to patch your remote into!

hope all this makes sense. If your at any point confused...then holler back n tel me where your stuck!
Goodluck
Why pay big bucks when you can do it yourself???
http://i224.photobucket.com/albums/dd23/rujiboy/WheelRefurbishmentProcess1.jpg
sig pic too large, see forum guidelines - admin

Offline mk2mark

• I live here
« Reply #12 on: 21 December 2007, 15:18 »
Am I wrong in thinking you can just use any 12v source for this? Why does it have to come off the radio, couldn't he take it off the ignition or the fan blower controls?

Offline vr4000d

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #13 on: 21 December 2007, 15:50 »
yes can be any 12v source but as you want the amp to turn on and off with the headunit it just makes sense to connect it to that

you can run i wire direct from battery with a switch if you wanted but is just easier to go from headunit ;)

Offline Dec

• I live here
« Reply #14 on: 21 December 2007, 19:01 »
yes can be any 12v source but as you want the amp to turn on and off with the headunit it just makes sense to connect it to that

you can run i wire direct from battery with a switch if you wanted but is just easier to go from headunit ;)

yea mines kl as it is but a pain having to disconnect it in the boot :embarassed:

Going to wire my head unit 2moz and if my dad wont help ill task it myself (having done 2 subs in 1 day has given me a confidence boost :grin:)

Ill then wire up ye olde blue cable into the head unit and save the fafing with unscrewing the power cable :rolleyes:

Offline Ruji

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #15 on: 21 December 2007, 21:15 »
DO NOT wire it to a constant 12V power supply..unless of course u want to discoer the next morning your car will not start due to a drained battery!You could almost get away with wiring a remote to the ignition switched power supply but i still would not do that. it is so much easier just to wire it to the remote output from the radio...makes sense and is the proper if not recommended method of installing it!

refer back to my previous post for details on how to do this!

Leme know how u get on :cool:

Offline Dec

• I live here
« Reply #16 on: 21 December 2007, 21:37 »
DO NOT wire it to a constant 12V power supply..unless of course u want to discoer the next morning your car will not start due to a drained battery!You could almost get away with wiring a remote to the ignition switched power supply but i still would not do that. it is so much easier just to wire it to the remote output from the radio...makes sense and is the proper if not recommended method of installing it!

yer not to be rude mate but you need to re-read what i have said.

As i have said in previous posts:

1. On my current head unit, i do not have anywhere to plug that remote wire.

2. I said in my last post that I have disconnected it in the boot when not in use

3. I am wiring in a new head unit tomorrow which does have the blue wire and therefore will solve the problem with unplugging it etc...

Offline Ruji

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #17 on: 21 December 2007, 21:39 »
yeh that blue cable activates the amp. It works on (+) feed

What sterio do you have?

Some people wire it to the rear lights. So when they turn the lights on - the amp turns on

the above idea is NOT recommended! If theres anyone out there that uses this method, then they're probly kickin themselves in the back questioning there approach and perhaps have changed there method since!?

Offline Ruji

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #18 on: 21 December 2007, 21:46 »

yer not to be rude mate but you need to re-read what i have said.

As i have said in previous posts:

1. On my current head unit, i do not have anywhere to plug that remote wire.

2. I said in my last post that I have disconnected it in the boot when not in use

3. I am wiring in a new head unit tomorrow which does have the blue wire and therefore will solve the problem with unplugging it etc...

I see,  and i did also read that too, but its a pain having to disconnect it everytime now isnt it??
You shouldnt expect a place to plug the remote wire into behind the head unit...u have to patch it into one of the wires as commented before. whether by means of cable locks or, strip down the insulation on the identified wire from the head unit that activates upon the radio being on...(not ignition) and loop the end of ur amp remote wire through it so that it does not involve having to chop the head unit or car wiring loom!

Offline Dec

• I live here
« Reply #19 on: 21 December 2007, 21:51 »
I see,  and i did also read that too, but its a pain having to disconnect it everytime now isnt it??
You shouldnt expect a place to plug the remote wire into behind the head unit...u have to patch it into one of the wires as commented before. whether by means of cable locks or, strip down the insulation on the identified wire from the head unit that activates upon the radio being on...(not ignition) and loop the end of ur amp remote wire through it so that it does not involve having to chop the head unit or car wiring loom!

yea but disconnecting it was good enough for one day.

There is a place on my new head unit so whats the point in patching it? I also wired a sub for my friend today and his was the same with the blue wire already there. Even the manual stated thats where a sub remote wire gets placed (didnt get a manual with mine) Do you have any knowledge of new headunits???