Author Topic: MK2 got door pockets want speakers .......DOH  (Read 8499 times)

Offline Diluxe

• Here all the time
Re:MK2 got door pockets want speakers .......DOH
« Reply #10 on: 08 December 2003, 15:37 »
Finally the penny has dropped !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! ;D

I must say hats off to you guys, i own a jap sports car aswell and you ask a newbie question on there and they just take the piss out of you and act like complete stuck up tossers, its must be true what they say a golf is a car for all classes

cheers

1997 16V

Offline dubslug

• I live here
« Reply #11 on: 08 December 2003, 17:32 »
cheers for giving a clear description once again guys as ive just come on here to ask the same question lol

1992 pearl grey 8v

Offline Hammy

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #12 on: 08 December 2003, 23:05 »
I had exactly the same thing when I bought my grills from the dealer..   What I had to do was use the fixings that came with the speakers (sort of push on one way spring washer) and drill them out slightly so that they would fit over the four plastic studs.  Fitted a treat and they have never budged since.

I must have been very lucky as they only charged me ?11 for the pair.  Either they got it wrong and charged me single price for a pair of grills or else you were diddled.. If you are happy with your price then I would keep schtum :)

Paul. :)

Offline Dizzie

• Forum addict
  • Make friends with your fast
« Reply #13 on: 08 December 2003, 23:35 »
thank you reserves my son ;D

I haven't cut any plastic. I had to cut the actual door card to get them in there cos like you say those magnets are huge!

I found mine in a car in the scrappy when i was on a relay hunt last visit. Bought a audi throttle body and those adaptors for ?15. the speakers blew the grills off straight away though so I don't use them anymore..
Mk4 Golf 150PD

Offline Helios_Blue_Valver

• I live here
« Reply #14 on: 10 December 2003, 12:38 »
anyone know a part number for the grilles? I missed a set that was going on ebay. ::) I have a set of Infinity Kappa 5 1/4 that would be nice in there. Gotta be better than the 3 1/2" VAG ones in the dash right now. Hopefully have the stealth shelf before long as well.  ;D

Offline reserves

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #15 on: 10 December 2003, 18:57 »
Does anyone know the rough (or exact!) mounting depth the speaker can be before you have to cut the panel (which I won't do).

Also I know that 13cm & 5" components fit in the original door mounts but do 5.25" actually fit ??

has anyone got 5.25" comps fitted?

8916vGti, The grills are about 6.50 each from http://www.gpcvwaudi.com/

Offline Diluxe

• Here all the time
« Reply #16 on: 10 December 2003, 22:23 »
well i've got the grills, dont know the part number just told the guy at the parts counter, and he knew exactly what i was going on about

i've just ordered a set of focals components, 5.25" i never though about the depth of the speaker to see if they would fit, should get them on friday be fitted by saturday so i can post up then and let you know, if no one replied before then

also I rang that place that does the speakers for 6.50 this is what he said "mate we have them in stock, but by the time i've added vat & p&p you'll only save yourself a quid compared to vag" so I got them same day from vag  ;D

cheers
1997 16V

Offline reserves

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #17 on: 10 December 2003, 23:49 »
Diluxe,  let me know how it goes with the focals.

Which ones did you go for? What are you powering them with?

R

Offline Dizzie

• Forum addict
  • Make friends with your fast
« Reply #18 on: 11 December 2003, 00:11 »
well you only have to cut a little bit out to fit mine in and those magnets are huge mofo's!
Mk4 Golf 150PD

Blue MK2

« Reply #19 on: 11 December 2003, 00:23 »
does your door have any rattles when blasting tunes Dizzy?

How does it sound? Crisp, Bassy, tweety?