Author Topic: MK2 got door pockets want speakers .......DOH  (Read 8501 times)

Offline Diluxe

• Here all the time
MK2 got door pockets want speakers .......DOH
« on: 08 December 2003, 12:39 »
On another thread theres talk of door speakers for your MK2  and that you can by these speakers grills to prelace the pockets.

I've just been to VW bought 2 grills (21 quid) but for the life of me I cant see how I can fit the speaker, do I need to buy something else that will hold the speaker in place behind the grill or am i just being dumb....... :P

cheers
1997 16V

Blue MK2

Re:MK2 got door pockets want speakers .......DOH
« Reply #1 on: 08 December 2003, 12:52 »
the speaker grills should have some twist on bolts. Does yours have these?
If they dont then take the rear speaker bolts and use them to secure the speakers to the grill.

Offline Diluxe

• Here all the time
« Reply #2 on: 08 December 2003, 13:06 »
Blue the speaker grill is  "just a plastic grill" with like four stalks one from each corner, I opened the pocket and i could see four holes in each corner that i presume these stalk things push through...................there isnt anything tappered that looks like bolts could get screwed on to it, I wonder if i've been given the right thing?

blast the cars going into have sounds fitted the wednesday and i really need these door things otherwsie they wont be able to fit the speakers  >:(

by the way what size speakers can i fit in the doors?

cheers

1997 16V

Offline Dizzie

• Forum addict
  • Make friends with your fast
« Reply #3 on: 08 December 2003, 13:16 »
speaker size has to 5 1/4 inch or 13cm whichever way you work.

the '4 stalks' go though the speakers mounting positions. there should be 4 nuts that hold the speaker to the bit. See pic

Mk4 Golf 150PD

Blue MK2

« Reply #4 on: 08 December 2003, 13:21 »
go to the scrappy and nick the nut/bolt things :P.

If you are not using your rear standard speakers then just take them of the rear ones. ;D

Offline Diluxe

• Here all the time
« Reply #5 on: 08 December 2003, 13:35 »
Cheers dudes for the help,

just been out to look at the rears, and i can see that the stalks are groved so the nut can screw on to it, the ones i got are smooth so nothing for the bolt to screw down on...............................

theres is however at the bottom of the grill a little hole that the spare part guy said I need to put a screw through to attach the grill to the door, cant see that hole on yours Diz?
1997 16V

Offline Dizzie

• Forum addict
  • Make friends with your fast
« Reply #6 on: 08 December 2003, 13:43 »
that holds it to the pocket. I used a screw that I got with my speakers. just a black self tapper will do the trick.

on my pic it's hidden by that mother of a magnet. it's there don't worry. make sure you put it in else when they hit a dr dre esq bass note they'll blow themselves out of the doors.
« Last Edit: 08 December 2003, 13:46 by Dizzie »
Mk4 Golf 150PD

Offline Diluxe

• Here all the time
« Reply #7 on: 08 December 2003, 14:00 »
Diz,

trying to look closely at your pictur eit looks like you've actually cut away some of the platic in the door pocket hole, is that to help the speaker fit, or am i imaging it, have you a picture of the door pocket area with out the speaker in so i can get a better idea of what you've done.

Also that is one big mutha F'er of a speaker its depth look massive which spekaer is it i can see alpine cant make the last digit out on the model
« Last Edit: 08 December 2003, 14:00 by Diluxe »
1997 16V

Offline reserves

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #8 on: 08 December 2003, 14:41 »
Taken from another post Dizzie's speakers are these:

http://www.cel-direct.com/detail.asp?ProductID=2142

Blue MK2

« Reply #9 on: 08 December 2003, 15:05 »
Cheers dudes for the help,

just been out to look at the rears, and i can see that the stalks are groved so the nut can screw on to it, the ones i got are smooth so nothing for the bolt to screw down on...............................

theres is however at the bottom of the grill a little hole that the spare part guy said I need to put a screw through to attach the grill to the door, cant see that hole on yours Diz?

The smooth stalks are coz they are new grills, the nut will twist straight on nice and tight