Author Topic: New to ICE  (Read 8175 times)

Offline JezGTI

• GTI forum regular
New to ICE
« on: 03 December 2003, 15:30 »
OK, I have a 1991 8V with 4 speakers (all standard I think) and a basic tape / radio player head unit.  I am interested in improving the sound (which at the moment is crap) but I haven't done anything like this before.  Any recommendations for a beginner??

Offline AdamB

• I live here
  • The Perfect Storm
Re:New to ICE
« Reply #1 on: 03 December 2003, 15:53 »
how much do you want to spend - if we start there we can recommend a few set ups for you - you will have loads of differing opinions, becuase every one has there own prefernces, best to try a few in a sound shop, but price first!!
I don't own this anymore - I just can't be arsed to change the picture

Offline JezGTI

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #2 on: 03 December 2003, 16:17 »
Haven't thought too much about the budget, just want to get a nice bass sound (not crazy though) without drowning out midrange and trebble.  As I say I've not done anything like this before so I don't have much idea of the costs, what sort prices are we talking about?

Offline AdamB

• I live here
  • The Perfect Storm
« Reply #3 on: 03 December 2003, 16:31 »
How long is a piece of string?  A couple of hundred for a whole new set up, to a thousand pound for one amp!! Its a huge market out there. Do you have any preference? Have a trawl through "Max Power" (sorry) I remember they used to do ICE deals on total set ups many years ago, they probably still do them now

Offline jv

• Administrator
  • Serious forum addict
« Reply #4 on: 03 December 2003, 16:33 »
good site for parts and also a load of info+tech articles:

www.caraudiodirect.com

jv
Buy site stuff!
GolfGTI.co.uk - merchandise

Support the forum charity!
Forum Charity

Offline AdamB

• I live here
  • The Perfect Storm
« Reply #5 on: 03 December 2003, 16:35 »
good site for parts and also a load of info+tech articles:

www.caraudiodirect.com

jv

you are a walking e-mail directory, aren't you!!

Offline Dizzie

• Forum addict
  • Make friends with your fast
« Reply #6 on: 03 December 2003, 17:09 »
http://www.cel-direct.com/
are good. good selection with 6 months interest free on stuff ?350+
Mk4 Golf 150PD

R1D3R

« Reply #7 on: 03 December 2003, 18:39 »

i was suprised how much a sub improves the sound in ya car. when i first started the install the sound was sh!t. Very sh!t!

all i did was stick sum 6 by 9s in the back parcel shelf. and a powerd sub in the rear.

the sound is 100% better. only prob is when playing hectic music like drum and bass. thats when i could do with another amp to power the front or rear speakers.

but working at halfords i managed to get the speakers and sub for a mere ?55.  ;) wink wink and all that sh!t. retail about ?350.

the head unit is a pioneer 5500 which i purchased legit off www.caraudiosecurity.com for ?170 or sumthin  8)

Offline jv

• Administrator
  • Serious forum addict
« Reply #8 on: 03 December 2003, 19:01 »
what do you reckon to that Pioneer 5500 mate? I was thinking of getting that one. How quickly does it move between folders on mp3 discs? Some I have tried are so slow

jv
Buy site stuff!
GolfGTI.co.uk - merchandise

Support the forum charity!
Forum Charity

R1D3R

« Reply #9 on: 03 December 2003, 19:09 »
its great

lots of eq curves and stuff to play with.

the mp3 folders are just like if u were looking up messages on ya phone or sumthin. basicly instant. depending on how big the folder is.

its cheaper than the one with the fancy display screen. but why do u need that unless u r planning on putting it in a nova.

its well worth the money in my opinion.