Author Topic: Simple Amp Build, In Mk3 Gti  (Read 11295 times)

Offline mark-mk3gti

• I live here
Re: Simple Amp Build, In Mk3 Gti
« Reply #10 on: 02 March 2010, 20:52 »
hi mate, i agree, its budget gear, but i'm on a budget! lol,  and i will only have a jbl sub and amp, the comps are vibe(which i think are worse) and 6x9s are kickers, the whole thing prob hasnt cost much over 100quid and does sound reasonable, amd includes all 4awg gear etc, only thing messing me up is a caliber eq which is cr@p generates a bit of noise, but unless i mute at max vol u dont notice it, (but i know its there)
ive had all sorts when i was younger, i worked in a car stereo shop for stock; not pay while at college, 10yrs ago, my the years fly,
lol, and i had all rockford gear and i was one of the first in the area to get a in dash touch full motorised screen, a mint clarion vrx918r, i paid trade price of £1031 and it rrpd at 1600, we used it as a demo hence i got it cheap, but of the 2 ordered only 1 came and i got it :D
i find when using jbl speakers, i know they are loud and proud but when run at more comfortable volumes they do provide a pretty good sound and good freq range,  focal and such are another level financially and obviously worth the $$
see you all at santa pod! YAY!

kells

« Reply #11 on: 02 March 2010, 20:56 »
mate i loved the early rockford stuff, still got my original punch amps (the first ones that were a mad grill shape), they were KILLA, also still got my punch subs, just could never let them go.. not sure on their new stuff as not used it

Offline mark-mk3gti

• I live here
« Reply #12 on: 02 March 2010, 21:47 »
I had 3 really good setups with Rockford gear and  sold each set as I moved on cars, it's only after I wish I hadn't every time! Yet still did it,  one set I sold to my mate and I saw him last year and he's still got it all, running a dream, must be 8years ago I sold it!! Wish I still had it.
are you going to pod with ur golf kells? Wish mine looked like that!

kells

« Reply #13 on: 02 March 2010, 22:26 »
cheers matey, nice to hear compliments, unfortunatly wont be their matey, i need to try get to some shows etc, but with been a dj i am up all night most weekends so hte days are usually chill out time and time with the lady! :laugh:

Offline tommk3cab

• I live here
« Reply #14 on: 03 March 2010, 01:58 »
JBL car audio is sh!te when you compair to brands like focal and rainbow, try it out, i used to think like you too

i run JBL in my home studio for my dj work so i do like JBL but their car stuff is below par, my opinion of course :wink:

Trust me, the gt4 subs will blow pretty much anything out of the water. There is not another manufacturer which will touch JBL in a price-vs-performance comparison (amp/sub wise especially). There are few who will touch the GT4 full stop(for out and out volume and power handling), unless you particularly want something which will handle over 800wrms, if you do then 2xgt4s would be a good idea  :laugh:

Offline Shady Pioneer

• Serious forum addict
  • graphic designer.
« Reply #15 on: 04 March 2010, 01:09 »
kells is just very opinionated and makes sure his point is put across.  :grin:

I had a GT4 until it blew on me...bad times, but in the time (7 months  :lipsrsealed:) it was a good sub for sure. However now I have an Infinity 1250 (I think) and I much prefer the lower notes on this, using a 4 channel JBL amp to power my Infinity Kappas component speakers and the sub and it is a cracking set up, nice and loud and bassy.  :evil: :evil: :evil:

Offline tommk3cab

• I live here
« Reply #16 on: 04 March 2010, 02:32 »

I had a GT4 until it blew on me...bad times, but in the time (7 months  :lipsrsealed:) it was a good sub for sure. However now I have an Infinity 1250 (I think) and I much prefer the lower notes on this, using a 4 channel JBL amp to power my Infinity Kappas component speakers and the sub and it is a cracking set up, nice and loud and bassy.  :evil: :evil: :evil:

The GT4 will perform at its best in a humongous ported box, (as most subs will do the same if you get it right) without this I can see why you would be slightly disappointed or less than in awe of its performance.

If you were running the GT4 from the amp I predict you are (75.4?) then you should have had some trouble killing the sub. Unless of course the amp was set up very, very badly or there was some other problem such as a manufacturing fault or some other kind of abuse. They can quiet happily run at 700w (ish) all day long and a 75.4 ( along with many 4ch amps) would have a fair bit of trouble ever producing that kind of power.

I have heard an infinity sub a while ago (almost definitely a different model to yours) retailing at about the same price as a GT4, it definitely seemed more SQ orientated (just looking/feeling it) but the volume-vs-power I was very unimpressed with, again tends to be a feature/tradeoff of good SQ kit.

That is not to say the GT4 is poor for SQ but it takes a bit more care (as mentioned above) to get the best out of them.

Offline mark-mk3gti

• I live here
« Reply #17 on: 04 March 2010, 20:17 »
After all this talk about jbl subs and promising I'd get one, I was bored and went into local halfrauds cos they bin clearing loads of stuff out, (hence vibe 5.25 comps for 20quid) and I spotted this kicker es sub in proper kicker box etc, i've always liked the look of it, it was stacked up with a load of other mutant crap and some vibe bits, so I asked this young kid how much, he said could be 15 or 25quid, but he asked his gaffer and he had a look and it came up as 40, so bought it, still a bargain but I'm sure they made a booboo cos it had 150 on it then 99 last week! So will get it connected tommorrow, typically i've had nothin to do on my 3days off and pick this up tonight, lol,
never had a ported sub box, so be interesting to see what's it's like, and at that price if I don't like it, if I get same back its no bigy,

kells

« Reply #18 on: 04 March 2010, 21:52 »

yeah when i know i am right, no point kissing ass and not saying what i think like many others on this wonderfull forum  :wink:

speaking from exp pal, been driving round in cars with big systems long enought to know and trust me JBL car audio really is JUNK BUT LOUD

try something like focal/rainbow etc and you will know waht i mean

kells

« Reply #19 on: 04 March 2010, 21:53 »
After all this talk about jbl subs and promising I'd get one, I was bored and went into local halfrauds cos they bin clearing loads of stuff out, (hence vibe 5.25 comps for 20quid) and I spotted this kicker es sub in proper kicker box etc, i've always liked the look of it, it was stacked up with a load of other mutant crap and some vibe bits, so I asked this young kid how much, he said could be 15 or 25quid, but he asked his gaffer and he had a look and it came up as 40, so bought it, still a bargain but I'm sure they made a booboo cos it had 150 on it then 99 last week! So will get it connected tommorrow, typically i've had nothin to do on my 3days off and pick this up tonight, lol,
never had a ported sub box, so be interesting to see what's it's like, and at that price if I don't like it, if I get same back its no bigy,

kicker were always good, got any pics?  model number ?