Author Topic: Newbie - Help on Mk3.5 Cabrio speaker upgrade  (Read 8625 times)

Offline tommk3cab

• I live here
Re: Newbie - Help on Mk3.5 Cabrio speaker upgrade
« Reply #10 on: 04 January 2010, 23:19 »
to save space , i  think i wanna to go free-air and just has the sub mounted to the back of the back seats. will that work?

not too sure what you mean by free air? at least I am not 100% sure that you and me have the same idea of what free air means.

Offline seanbeer

• Not said much yet
« Reply #11 on: 05 January 2010, 01:03 »
I am not very sure how it should be installed, but in my mind, its a sub without a box.

use the boot as the enclousre?

from my research online, seems need to have a opening into the passenger compartment, seems not easily possible with the cabrio.

Offline tommk3cab

• I live here
« Reply #12 on: 08 January 2010, 23:40 »
I am not very sure how it should be installed, but in my mind, its a sub without a box.

use the boot as the enclousre?

from my research online, seems need to have a opening into the passenger compartment, seems not easily possible with the cabrio.

Your best bet with a cabby is to cut away the metal of the rear seat backs so that the sub can vent into the cabin, still using a box as usual for the sub. Doing this tidily could be quiet difficult ( which is why I haven't ;)). the other problem you may have found is that the opening from the bot into the cabin is an odd shape and also fairly narrow, not much can be done about this ;).

I find lowering the seat backs when no-one is sat in the back works plenty well enough and even with the seatback up and locked in position the only thing which is really lost is the very low bass. The plus side of the seats being able to lock into position and 'seal' the boot totally is there are no rattles, I mean none, whatsoever.

Offline seanbeer

• Not said much yet
« Reply #13 on: 29 January 2010, 03:37 »
Did you mean you have instead the sub just by mounting it on the back of the back seats without opening a hole into the passenger compartment? if it does work, i might consider doing this too.

am eyeying on a 10" active sub. (about GBP120 from an unknow brand) good price solution compare to seperate amp and sub. gonna take up space tho.

Offline tommk3cab

• I live here
« Reply #14 on: 29 January 2010, 17:06 »
Did you mean you have instead the sub just by mounting it on the back of the back seats without opening a hole into the passenger compartment? if it does work, i might consider doing this too.

in a box? just like normal?

in a box as normal will be fine, the only thing you may notice is a drop in output from a normal car.