Author Topic: Fitting a new CD player to 1999 MK4 Golf? Pointers?  (Read 7973 times)

Offline The Dave

• I live here
Fitting a new CD player to 1999 MK4 Golf? Pointers?
« on: 11 November 2009, 22:41 »
Hi guys. Not long bought my latest car (MK4 Golf 1.8 20v turbo). It's a 1999 V reg model.

I'm no wiring genius but is there anything I need to do in terms of changing wiring or should it be plug and play to take the old Gamma casette deck out and replace with a new CD player? (A 2nd hand Pioneer 6800mp)

Secondly, it does have an in dash CD player also (seperate from Gamma tape and radio). Am I able to buy a cubby hole type adapter plate or am I best leaving the old VW CD player in situ?

Basically, anything I need to know, be it wiring or anything else, for fitting an aftermarket head unit will be gratefully received :)

Cheers!

Offline troublestarter

• I live here
Re: Fitting a new CD player to 1999 MK4 Golf? Pointers?
« Reply #1 on: 12 November 2009, 09:07 »
when you have removed the original gamma unit
you can just plug it in but you will need to swap the red and yellow wires around on the loom of the new stereo this will mean it will not lose its memory everytime you turn it off
you will also need an aerial adapter as when you install an aftermarket stereo the radio reception will be rubbish
you can buy a din sized pocket from ebay
www.awesomeautomotive.co.uk<br />mobile vehicle security & audio fitting service<br />insurance accredited

Offline ipswich1.8t

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #2 on: 13 November 2009, 00:34 »
Ever since i changed my unit my radio is useless ...i even got one of those so called boosters on it , still hardly anything ...why ? and what else can be done about it ?

Offline The Dave

• I live here
« Reply #3 on: 13 November 2009, 00:35 »
Not sure if this is much use but seems to be the best guide I've found so far.. mentions FM signal a bit but not read in depth as been pushed for time:

http://uk-mkivs.net/forums/t/177496.aspx