Author Topic: HELP, stuck wiring sub and mutant 2 channel amp!! it shoud be working? see pge 2  (Read 7820 times)

Offline robz

• I live here
  • mk3's rule, haters gonna hate!
hi all, hope everyone is well!!!
i just need a little advice from you.
i just a bought a 300 watt sub,
mutant 2 channel mtpk12 - a amp
and 2 6 x 9 jbl speakers.
i just need advice on what wiring kit to buy -  i was looking at this one,

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/700W-CAR-AMP-AMPLIFIER-SUB-SUBWOOFER-WIRING-POWER-KIT_W0QQitemZ350105021779QQcmdZViewItemQQptZUK_Cars_Parts_Vehicles_Terminals_Cabling_ET?hash=item350105021779&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14&_trkparms=72%3A1689%7C66%3A2%7C65%3A12%7C39%3A1%7C240%3A1318

any good??
also, if i link the new 6 x 9's to the amp and then headunit,
do i leave the standard 4 speakers in the dash and doors linked straight into the head unit??
or do they need to be in the amp as well???

any help would be greatly appreciated.

i know its not an amazing set up, i just wanted a little improvement from the standard... plus i got the lot for cheap money!!

cheers!!!
« Last Edit: 23 April 2009, 09:52 by robz »

Believe me its a dead ringer for you! Even says something stupid!

Offline dubbinmk3

• GTI forum regular
  • ITS A VAG THING .......YOU WOULDNT UNDERSTAND
well if its a 2 channel amp you cant run 2 6x9s and a sub!, it would blow the amp up and drop it to whats called 1ohm wich that amp cant handle. depending on what kind of sound you want ie:loudness or clarity will determin ure setup.

with what you have at the moment i would personally run the sub bridged to the amp so ure getting full power, turn the gain down a little so that the sub doesent struggle as the amp out powers the sub and its always best not to run ure amp flatout. then at this stage you have no choice apart from disconect ure rear speakers and run ure 6x9s then if you found another amp you can amp the 6x9s and fade the headunit to the front.... it will be loud and will sound ok!

if you wanted clarity and personally what i would do, is run ure sub as said bridged but then get rid of 6x9s disconnect the dash tweeter as these are far to small to sound good and get ure self a good quality set of components in the front doors dont have to spend loads at all on them just a good brande then you would have solid bass and good clear vocals add an amp to the comps later on and it would be twice as loud as 6x9s!

theres ure options buddy!

and wiring kit wise get the biggest you can within reason its always better but yes that will run it

cheers

luke@awesome.audio
*ITS A VAG THING......YOU WOULDNT UNDERSTAND*

Offline robz

• I live here
ok, cheers for your reply!!
so wgat your saying is run the sub off the amp,
and leave the 6 x 9's out of it for now?
or just put the 6 x 9's off the head unit??
im not really up on this kind of stuff, this will be my first set up!!
cheers!!!

jamie16v

i think thats what he meant, and thats how i would run it too..
run the sub from the amp in bridged mode, then run the 6x9s from the head unit.

Offline robz

• I live here
thanks for that,
i had to put it in mere mortal terms, lol!

will wait for my wiring kit for the sub, then see what i have lft to wire the 6x9s
do ya know if the mk3 gti has the rear speaker wires already in even if it doesnt have the speakers??
cos otherwise im gonna have to get wires from the head unit to the back of the car arent i?!
cheers!!

Offline dubbinmk3

• GTI forum regular
yeah thats what i would do for now, but thats if you deffo want to run ure 6x9s wich is totally down to you :smiley

would also run new cables to ure 6x9s as in the mk3 golf or in the ones ive seen you have 2 mids and tweeters at the front and 2 mids and tweeters in the back so depending where you take ure feed from the power will be halfed from ure head unit again (barley any power to 6x9s) run new cables strait from the back of the headunit  :smiley:

failing that even better get a cheap amp for them as the difference between 6x9s off a headunit and 6x9s off an amp is HUGE

let me know if you need help mate well of ure local ish! :smiley:

Offline robz

• I live here
thanks for that dubbin!!
long story short there are no speakers in the back of the car, just the 2 dash ones and2 door ones!!
so im gonna have to run the 6 x 9's with new wiring from the hu!
im in a little place called chinley, can almost guarantee ya not near me, let alone heard of it, lol!! ;)
but thanks for the offer of help.
im gonna have a go at wiring it tonight!!
will let ya know how i get on!!!
could be interesting!!!
cheers!

Offline dubbinmk3

• GTI forum regular
no worries mate, well eassiest way cut 2 lengths more than long enough tape them together remove the headunit and cut the purple 2 and green 2 wich are rear right and left, join them up making sure you know wich one is the positive and negative and throw the cables down the side trim and up to the 6x9s

will be fine mate

:smiley:

Offline robz

• I live here
ok, will have a bash if i have enough wring left after the sub and amp fitting!!
thanks for your advise!!
just a quick one aswell
ive seen in various places that you should put the fuse as close to the battery as poss, is that correct?
cheers!!

Offline robz

• I live here
help, stuck installing!!!!
« Reply #9 on: 22 April 2009, 21:13 »
help!!!
ok, ive wired it in, but im not getting any sound from the sub??
ive wired the thick red cable from the battery to the amp,
earth from amp to car body,
but where does the rem cable go to??
is this a hu problem now?
any help would be greatly appreciated!!!
cheers!!