Author Topic: Chain tensioner  (Read 1390 times)

Offline Adrians GTI

• Just got here
Chain tensioner
« on: 31 January 2014, 14:44 »
Hi guys I am new to the forum and I am after a bit of advice. I am looking to get a mk6 gti as the car fits exactly what I am after in that it is both economical enough for my daily commute but I can also have some fun in on the weekends.
I am looking for a 2011 or 2012 car ideally.
The issue with the timing tensioner really concerns me though as I couldn't afford a replacement engine if it failed. I am fairly practical with cars having worked on my own for years even rebuilding a few engines.

My question is if I replaced the tensioner with the latest design will this prevent failures or can the new design also fail?

I have read a lot of the posts regarding the tensioner but haven't seen anything regarding if the later design is better. I presume the few people who have had engines changed the upgraded tensioner is used and I have not heard of anyone having a failure yet!

Many thanks
Adrian

Offline Jimmgc51

• Here all the time
Re: Chain tensioner
« Reply #1 on: 31 January 2014, 16:01 »
As yet I don't believe any 2012 car has failed, so in answer to your question, YES, an updated tensioner should solve the problem, unless it just went, all parts can fail so if your unlucky a new one could go!!

Saying above however 2012 cars have only had 1-2 years use and so who is to say this fault IS fixed until a car gets passed the 3 x year mark with a nice number of miles this seemed to be the break point.

So watch this space for more stories, fingers crossed it's sorted though or my GTI will be getting sold when the 2x warranty runs out  :cry:
Golf GTI 09, CW, Bi-Xenon, DCC, 18" Monza's, Jakarta, RNS510, Dynaudio, F&R parking sensors, Winter pack...

Ibiza Deep House mix for DL - https://soundcloud.com/jimmgc51/getting-deep-with-house