Author Topic: Mk6 price drop???  (Read 4434 times)

Offline Poached

• I live here
Re: Mk6 price drop???
« Reply #20 on: 14 June 2013, 17:00 »
I was in similar situation 9 months ago but changed from MK6 GTi to MK5 Ed30. Loved my Mk6 but it was a lease car so had to go back after 3 years was up. So I set myslef a budget of £13k but all i could find was high mileage low spec ones that had not been well looked after.

So I looked and drove a few MK5's and settled on a mint low mileage, one owner Mk5 Ed30. Added Sat Nav, Tarox brakes, Revo upgrade and a set of winter alloys and tyres set for the same money. I now have a car that I cannot think of ever changing, its practical, fun, very very fast and will easily do 40mpg. It should retain its value as well.

Having driven a Mk6 Gti for 3 years I can tell you that Mk5 handles better, has sharper steering and is well just more fun. Mk6 is smoother and quieter though. Its a more mature car.

Sounds like a bit of Placebo to me since they both share virtually the same chassis except the MK6 has XDS and the MK5 does not so the MK6 should have the edge.

For me the MK6 is the better car, its better put together and I prefer the looks on the outside,MK5 looks too round now and is starting to show its age a little.

The downside of the Edition 30 is the seats :sick: (I had cloth) but there's more headroom for tuning with the bigger turbo if you go down that route.

IME getting 40 mpg out of a TFSI is possible but only if you really try on longer runs so I suspect a bit of embellishment in figures has gone on here :tongue: Your more likely to see that economy in a TSI.

Offline Adamp252

• Not said much yet
« Reply #21 on: 14 June 2013, 19:42 »
Thanks for all the replys, Yeah it's a hard choice, half the money but the half the car, I want something smooth and fast, So it's got to be the mk6, I'm only 23 so insurance is pretty high, but o well,

Offline Spartacus

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #22 on: 15 June 2013, 13:40 »
I was in similar situation 9 months ago but changed from MK6 GTi to MK5 Ed30. Loved my Mk6 but it was a lease car so had to go back after 3 years was up. So I set myslef a budget of £13k but all i could find was high mileage low spec ones that had not been well looked after.

So I looked and drove a few MK5's and settled on a mint low mileage, one owner Mk5 Ed30. Added Sat Nav, Tarox brakes, Revo upgrade and a set of winter alloys and tyres set for the same money. I now have a car that I cannot think of ever changing, its practical, fun, very very fast and will easily do 40mpg. It should retain its value as well.

Having driven a Mk6 Gti for 3 years I can tell you that Mk5 handles better, has sharper steering and is well just more fun. Mk6 is smoother and quieter though. Its a more mature car.

Sounds like a bit of Placebo to me since they both share virtually the same chassis except the MK6 has XDS and the MK5 does not so the MK6 should have the edge.

For me the MK6 is the better car, its better put together and I prefer the looks on the outside,MK5 looks too round now and is starting to show its age a little.

The downside of the Edition 30 is the seats :sick: (I had cloth) but there's more headroom for tuning with the bigger turbo if you go down that route.

IME getting 40 mpg out of a TFSI is possible but only if you really try on longer runs so I suspect a bit of embellishment in figures has gone on here :tongue: Your more likely to see that economy in a TSI.

No 'placebo affect' whatever that is supposed to mean. I had both Mk5 and Mk6 sitting on the driveway for 6 weeks so was able to compare. I took the Mk5 if I wanted to have some fun and felt in the mood, but if the journey was 200miles plus then I would always take the Mk6. It is a smoother, quieter drive but without the get up and go of the Mk5 which feels as if its on its toes ready for a sprint all the time.

The XDS on the Mk6 does not improve the handling, its just a way of cutting power to one front tyre using the abs if its starts to lose traction. Its not very effective at all really however I did read on this forum that you can alter the settings through vag.com.

Actually the seats on the ED30 are one of its smarter features, people are always commenting on them but each to their own.

With the revo remap I added about 80bhp but also around 75Lbs torque so economy has improved if I don't drive with a lead foot so I can achive 40mpg on a run. I could easily get 45mpg out of my Mk6 though.
Mk6 GTi - returned to leasing company after 3 great years and replaced with :

Mk5 GTi - Edition 30 - Revo 1 and some tweaks - 310 bhp. Its a better car than the Mk6  - Now sold and replaced with :

Mk6 R - Rising Blue 5 Door. Won't be standard 270bhp for long

Family Car : Mercedes ML420 with 360 bhp
Looking at Porsche Macan as replacement

Offline Poached

• I live here
« Reply #23 on: 15 June 2013, 13:52 »

No 'placebo affect' whatever that is supposed to mean. I had both Mk5 and Mk6 sitting on the driveway for 6 weeks so was able to compare. I took the Mk5 if I wanted to have some fun and felt in the mood, but if the journey was 200miles plus then I would always take the Mk6. It is a smoother, quieter drive but without the get up and go of the Mk5 which feels as if its on its toes ready for a sprint all the time.

The XDS on the Mk6 does not improve the handling, its just a way of cutting power to one front tyre using the abs if its starts to lose traction. Its not very effective at all really however I did read on this forum that you can alter the settings through vag.com.

Actually the seats on the ED30 are one of its smarter features, people are always commenting on them but each to their own.

With the revo remap I added about 80bhp but also around 75Lbs torque so economy has improved if I don't drive with a lead foot so I can achive 40mpg on a run. I could easily get 45mpg out of my Mk6 though.

I think it handles better but both suffer from typical FWD characteristics in certain situations.

I understand what you mean about the urgency, the MK5 feels a bit more urgent but it does die off quicker (This is GTI not Edition 30).

Did you map the MK6? This improved the urgency for mine - it was a little linear to begin with.

Offline Spartacus

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #24 on: 15 June 2013, 14:28 »

I think it handles better but both suffer from typical FWD characteristics in certain situations.

I understand what you mean about the urgency, the MK5 feels a bit more urgent but it does die off quicker (This is GTI not Edition 30).

Did you map the MK6? This improved the urgency for mine - it was a little linear to begin with.

Unfortunately I couldn't map my Mk6 as it was a company car on a lease contract. If it had been my own car then i would have done it in a heartbeat. Totally understand why people map their Mk6's though, it is so refined with a such a linear delivery that it really needs spicing up to make it a more complete car.
Mk6 GTi - returned to leasing company after 3 great years and replaced with :

Mk5 GTi - Edition 30 - Revo 1 and some tweaks - 310 bhp. Its a better car than the Mk6  - Now sold and replaced with :

Mk6 R - Rising Blue 5 Door. Won't be standard 270bhp for long

Family Car : Mercedes ML420 with 360 bhp
Looking at Porsche Macan as replacement

Offline Poached

• I live here
« Reply #25 on: 15 June 2013, 14:49 »
Yes it really is a night and day difference. I had gone from MK5 mapped to MK6 stock and I could tell it pulled better to the red line but it lacked that instantaneous surge.

It livens the car up no end and if your stock you do miss out a bit but that probably goes for most VAG cars that get mapped.