Author Topic: underbonnet insulation  (Read 4602 times)

Offline adw555

• Here all the time
underbonnet insulation
« on: 01 June 2010, 22:51 »
just had the bonnet up checking the oil and noticed the insulation panel in the underside of the bonnet, in the bottom right corner hanging out. All the clips are in, but the tabs in that corner seem to be a bit weak to hold it in...anyone else noticed it on theirs?

Offline mackeroni

• Just got here
Re: underbonnet insulation
« Reply #1 on: 28 May 2016, 18:37 »
Yeah - I have this issue also at all sides of the bonnet. Any successful fixes out there? Cheers.

Offline joe6

• I live here
« Reply #2 on: 29 May 2016, 10:36 »
All the tabs on mine are weak. Have temporarily fixed them using folded thick card as a wedge and waterproof tape. Ideas for a permanent fix most welcome.
Mk6 GTI Carbon Grey, 2010 Bluetooth and voice fitted, a few VCDS mods still a comfortable family car. Red Scirocco 2011 twin charger stage 1 - enjoyable drive now gone.  White 2016 Polo GTI (roller skate on steroids) replaced with an Indium Grey 2019 7.5 GTI PP.

Offline SunnyGTI

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #3 on: 29 May 2016, 13:35 »
The tabs at the bottom are weak on mine. It is almost like they don't go far enough into the holes! But it might be because the insulation has shrunk over time?

Offline RocketRossUK

• I live here
« Reply #4 on: 29 May 2016, 13:47 »
I just took mine out, you now hear way more turbo spool and air intake on lift off
MK6 GTI CSG | Revo Stage 2 | Revo Stage 2 Intake | Milltek 3" TB Exhaust | SuperPro Anti Lift Kit | H&R ARB's | Bilstein B12 | TT Short Shifter |Mintex M1144 Race Pads | HEL Braided Lines |

MK5 GTI - DSG + Extras (Sold because DSG was Soooo Boring !!!)

Offline candywhite12

• Here all the time
« Reply #5 on: 07 June 2016, 06:46 »
I just took mine out, you now hear way more turbo spool and air intake on lift off

won't that harm the paint though?  isn't the insulator supposed to protect the bonnet from heat?
Wife's: mk8 TSI 1.4 RL, 5dr atlantic blue, DSG, Norfolk 17", pan s/r, leds
Now: mk7.5 TSI 1.4 RL, 5dr tornado red, DSG, Singapore 17", pan s/r, leds
Before: mk6 GTI 5dr candy white, DSG, Monza Shadow 18", s/r, bi-Xenons, DCC
Even before that: mk5 GT 5dr tornado red, manual, s/r

Offline RocketRossUK

• I live here
« Reply #6 on: 07 June 2016, 16:02 »

won't that harm the paint though?  isn't the insulator supposed to protect the bonnet from heat?

no not at all, it more sound deadening that anything else. Mine has been out for 3+ years and not one sign of heat damage or wear
MK6 GTI CSG | Revo Stage 2 | Revo Stage 2 Intake | Milltek 3" TB Exhaust | SuperPro Anti Lift Kit | H&R ARB's | Bilstein B12 | TT Short Shifter |Mintex M1144 Race Pads | HEL Braided Lines |

MK5 GTI - DSG + Extras (Sold because DSG was Soooo Boring !!!)

Offline mackeroni

• Just got here
« Reply #7 on: 07 July 2016, 23:33 »
Well I tried an elaborate and time consuming fix by riveting 6" stiff plastic strips to support the tongues on the 'mat' that is this crappy insulation. No good. RocketRoss was right - I just took it out! :sad:

Offline The ANT

• Here all the time
« Reply #8 on: 08 July 2016, 08:45 »

I took mine out too, the paint doesn't seem to have noticed, besides cars never used to have them.  And you can hear the engine and pressure from the turbo much  more clearly.
Suffering from a severe and unforgiving case of GTItis