Author Topic: GT? Aye!  (Read 3603 times)

Offline adamsimmonds

• Just got here
GT? Aye!
« on: 27 February 2010, 21:14 »
So here I am, pushing 50 and, having put up with revolting people carriers for the kids for the last ten years or so, decided it was time I got my own decent car again.

I used to have a Mk 3 GTI, which I absolutely loved, and decided it was time for a new one. However... I can't be dealing with the red stripe at the front so decided to get the next best thing, the GT. Fully loaded, obviously. The performance figures suggest that the GT is faster/more powerful than my old GTI, so I felt pretty comfortable ordering it. Which I did, about a month ago (and love it).

Now here's the thing - I notice on the boards that all the talk seems to be about the GTI, so I was wondering what you (presumed) enthusiasts feel about the GT. Have I made a mistake? Is the GT naff?

The other question I have is regarding speed. I'm currently on 9 points and would have got a further three had I not been 'offered' a speed course instead. How the hell can you GTI owners actually drive the car to anywhere near its potential with so many bloody speed cameras everywhere?

Many thanks

Adam

Offline p3asa

• Forum addict
Re: GT? Aye!
« Reply #1 on: 27 February 2010, 21:34 »
What kind of response do you think you'll get asking that in a GTI forum  :laugh:
The GT at the end of the day is only the trim level as you can get it in a couple of different engines.
What engine did you get yours in?
I have the GT and am more than happy with it. The suede effect Alcantara seats are fantastic.
Personally its not a touch on the GTI which I could have stretched to at a push but I don't think I could have lived with the paranoia any time I parked it up!! I'm bad enough with the GT  :grin:
HIS: R 5dr DSG Lapiz: Tech Pack: Keyless: 90% Tints: Pretorias: Rear View Camera
HERS:  GTI 5dr Manual DBP: Parking Pack: Car-Net App: 90% Privacy Glass. Ordered 05-12-15. Delivered 03-03-16
DONATED TO SON:  GTD 5dr Manual White: Nav Pro: Dynaudio: Winter Pack: Sport & Sound Pack: Rear View Camera: Park Assist. Ordered 19-02-14. Delivered: 07-06-14

Offline Snoopy

• Serious forum addict
  • Geoff.
« Reply #2 on: 27 February 2010, 21:48 »
You could say the same about the GT.
Mk6 GTI  &  Mk1 GTI 
34 years of GTI ownership.

Offline Steve30

• I live here
  • Ed30 .
« Reply #3 on: 27 February 2010, 22:01 »
So here I am, pushing 50 and, having put up with revolting people carriers for the kids for the last ten years or so, decided it was time I got my own decent car again.

I used to have a Mk 3 GTI, which I absolutely loved, and decided it was time for a new one. However... I can't be dealing with the red stripe at the front so decided to get the next best thing, the GT. Fully loaded, obviously. The performance figures suggest that the GT is faster/more powerful than my old GTI, so I felt pretty comfortable ordering it. Which I did, about a month ago (and love it).

Now here's the thing - I notice on the boards that all the talk seems to be about the GTI, so I was wondering what you (presumed) enthusiasts feel about the GT. Have I made a mistake? Is the GT naff?

The other question I have is regarding speed. I'm currently on 9 points and would have got a further three had I not been 'offered' a speed course instead. How the hell can you GTI owners actually drive the car to anywhere near its potential with so many bloody speed cameras everywhere?

Many thanks

Adam
I would have got the GTD DSG thats two my pence worth!!  :wink:

Tiguan quicker than the Golf

Offline GolfTi

• I live here
  • ..gotta feel for my automobile..
« Reply #4 on: 27 February 2010, 22:05 »
I'm sure the GT is a fine car if that's what you want.

If you don't want a GTI then fair enough.

It is the perfect car though.
Mk7 GTI. DBP, DCC, Winter pack. Mine since new, July 2013.
GTI no. 4. Golf no. 5.  VW no. 7.

Offline VWKev

• I live here
  • Please Support Non-Human Rights
« Reply #5 on: 27 February 2010, 22:32 »
You cant be bothered getting a GTI because of the red stripe at the front ?  :laugh:

The next best thing is not the GT, go for a GTD.

GTI mk6, 3dr Manual (Yes Manual! If I wanted a Taxi I'd hail one, not spend £1500 on one), Candy White, Full Leather, Xenons, ACC, 18", RCD510 + Dynaudio, DAB Radio, Winter Pack, Luxury Pack, Fiscon Bluetooth Plus, Golf R LED's.

"Some say he drives a Shopping car, and that his car dent was actually a beauty spot....all we know is he's called Captain Failboat"

Offline adamsimmonds

• Just got here
« Reply #6 on: 27 February 2010, 22:42 »
Bugger! I think I must have (incorrectly) thought the 'D' in GTD referred to diesel, which I definitely didn't want, so ruled that out. You're right though, the GTD would have been a better bet. Too late now though.

Now I realise the folly of asking the question in the first place.
« Last Edit: 27 February 2010, 23:07 by adamsimmonds »

Offline VWKev

• I live here
  • Please Support Non-Human Rights
« Reply #7 on: 27 February 2010, 23:19 »
Bugger! I think I must have (incorrectly) thought the 'D' in GTD referred to diesel, which I definitely didn't want, so ruled that out. You're right though, the GTD would have been a better bet. Too late now though.

Now I realise the folly of asking the question in the first place.

No you're right, the D does mean Diesel (Gran Touring Diesel) although I have heard people say Gran Turismo Diesel, which I've never believed. So if you don't want a Diesel then you have done the right thing by crossing it off your list.
« Last Edit: 27 February 2010, 23:21 by VWKev »

GTI mk6, 3dr Manual (Yes Manual! If I wanted a Taxi I'd hail one, not spend £1500 on one), Candy White, Full Leather, Xenons, ACC, 18", RCD510 + Dynaudio, DAB Radio, Winter Pack, Luxury Pack, Fiscon Bluetooth Plus, Golf R LED's.

"Some say he drives a Shopping car, and that his car dent was actually a beauty spot....all we know is he's called Captain Failboat"

Offline DDRFan

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #8 on: 27 February 2010, 23:42 »
I used to have a Mk 3 GTI, which I absolutely loved, and decided it was time for a new one. However... I can't be dealing with the red stripe at the front so decided to get the next best thing, the GT. ...

I actually love that they bought back the red stripes on the grill - to me it's pure retro. It makes me think of seeing the older cars as a kid and thinking 'that's a cool car, I want one!' except now you can get a modern one that won't have the hassle of being an old car and it's safer and more comfortable and that kind of stuff.

£25k+ for a couple of red stripes is quite expensive though...  :undecided:

Offline Rolfe

• I live here
« Reply #9 on: 27 February 2010, 23:48 »
Well, there's the R that doesn't seem to have the red stripes, or you could get the GTi in Tornado Red where it doesn't look as if it has stripes at all because they're the same colour as the rest of the body.

One of the reasons I got the Blue Graphite was that I thought it contrasted nicely with the stripes, which I think are way cool.   :cool:

Rolfe.