Author Topic: Engine warmer?  (Read 9433 times)

Offline rjwojcik

• Here all the time
Re: Engine warmer?
« Reply #20 on: 04 November 2009, 13:41 »
I used to have a nifty pre heat gizzmo (which came std) on a 1995 BMW, you could set it to go off at a particular time (for 20 minutes) and it would use the battery power to warm the inside of the car up.  Iced up windows would just be wet when I left the house in the mornings.  You were advised not to use it for in sucsession without switching on the engine as it would drain the battery.
Current:
2018 RS4  - Navarra Blue / Black
Gone:
2016 A6 BiTDI - Midnight Blue / Black
2016 Golf GTD with a "lot" of toys
2016 M3 CP - Mineral Grey / Black
2009 135i - Le Mans Blue / Black

Offline AdrianM

• Not said much yet
« Reply #21 on: 04 November 2009, 15:32 »
This sounds quite attractive.  My car is normally garaged within touching distance of a power point, so it's definitely practical.

Do they work on a timer, or do you have to go out in the cold before breakfast to switch them on?  Did I see something about a remote?

Rolfe.

This Defa has several options including 2 pre-set "leaving times" and how long before that that it should start its warm up (1,2 or 3 hours). You can even set it to auto so it decides based on the outside temperature and the time you've told it you're going to need the car.

Offline R32UK

• Forum addict
« Reply #22 on: 04 November 2009, 18:42 »
How good does this sound!!  :grin:

unfortunately my car gets garaged at night, so probably not needed :sad:

But a great sell on point :smiley:

Offline Freakinsweet

• Not said much yet
« Reply #23 on: 04 November 2009, 21:50 »
This sounds quite attractive.  My car is normally garaged within touching distance of a power point, so it's definitely practical.

Do they work on a timer, or do you have to go out in the cold before breakfast to switch them on?  Did I see something about a remote?

Rolfe.

This Defa has several options including 2 pre-set "leaving times" and how long before that that it should start its warm up (1,2 or 3 hours). You can even set it to auto so it decides based on the outside temperature and the time you've told it you're going to need the car.

You could also just plug it in and put the timer on the socket, i.e. in your garage. That is how mine works. Starts 3 hours before I leave for work every morning. Wouldn´t worry about the miniplug as my dealer has hidden it away in the front bumper where you cannot see it. On all cars I´ve had the mini plug has been placed not to intrude on the overall esthetics's.
Golf VI GTi DSG

Offline JellyCat

• Here all the time
« Reply #24 on: 04 November 2009, 23:26 »
-35c >?
Wow! I can see why you're looking for a heating kit!

Offline Egbutt Wash

• I live here
« Reply #25 on: 05 November 2009, 00:22 »
How good does this sound!!  :grin:

unfortunately my car gets garaged at night, so probably not needed :sad:

But a great sell on point :smiley:

Just have a rad that comes on half an hour before your regular grind.
The best thing I ever did, start my own company.  I just go in now and again to check on the money makers.  No grind for me.
Currently digging a bunker.

Offline AdrianM

• Not said much yet
« Reply #26 on: 06 November 2009, 12:44 »
The garage responded to my mail and they said this Defa will only work on a 230V supply and not off the battery alone. Bit of a bugger for me as I'd like it to preheat so I get a warm car after work as well as in the morning. They've offered to show me a car with it fitted this afternoon. Not sure if I'm that interested in it now though - maybe I should look for one that uses the cars fuel supply instead.

Offline p3asa

• Forum addict
« Reply #27 on: 06 November 2009, 19:58 »
Might be easier to just get an alarm fitted that also has a starter on it which starts your car via remote control.
Although I don't know how they would get round the "clutch" having to be depressed to start it.

http://www.clifford.com/Products/RemoteStart.aspx

HIS: R 5dr DSG Lapiz: Tech Pack: Keyless: 90% Tints: Pretorias: Rear View Camera
HERS:  GTI 5dr Manual DBP: Parking Pack: Car-Net App: 90% Privacy Glass. Ordered 05-12-15. Delivered 03-03-16
DONATED TO SON:  GTD 5dr Manual White: Nav Pro: Dynaudio: Winter Pack: Sport & Sound Pack: Rear View Camera: Park Assist. Ordered 19-02-14. Delivered: 07-06-14

Offline AdrianM

• Not said much yet
« Reply #28 on: 06 November 2009, 20:12 »
Might be easier to just get an alarm fitted that also has a starter on it which starts your car via remote control.
Although I don't know how they would get round the "clutch" having to be depressed to start it.

http://www.clifford.com/Products/RemoteStart.aspx

After a visit to the dealer I decided to sign up for the full Defa warm up with engine warmer, cabin warmer, battery charger - it hooks up to the mains via a tiny socket - and of course the wireless controller. I couldn't win really; either I have an electric system that warms the car while in the garage overnight or a fuel driven one that could heat the car during the day so it was warm when I left work. Couldn't really run a fuel based one in the garage and at least with an electric one there's a chance that we will get power connectors in our car park (used to have that at our old office building). They will fit it next Friday. Takes about 4 hours apparently.

Offline AdrianM

• Not said much yet
« Reply #29 on: 15 November 2009, 08:59 »
Well, I had the complete Defa warm up system fitted on Friday; this is with the auto battery charger, the engine warmer, cabin heater and wireless controller. The internal heater is quite unobtrusive and is fitted against the passenger side wall of the center console, quite far back so it doesn't interfere with the passenger's legs. The tiny black socket for the external 230V cable is hardly noticeable and is fitted to the lower grill. I'm fairly happy with the performance so far although it's only been down to 0c the past few days. The wireless controller is very cool and is powerful enough to talk to the car from within my house even if the car is in the garage 40m and 3 walls away - it can even tell me the current engine temperature, now how cool is that? ;)

The only gripe I have is that the buggers at the garage managed to crack my windscreen during the install (wtf?  :huh: ) so it has to go back in next Thursday for a windscreen replacement. I'm going to ask for either a hefty discount on the Defa stuff or some free bees for my trouble!