Author Topic: anyone with a mk 6 check something for me  (Read 1890 times)

Offline adw555

• Here all the time
anyone with a mk 6 check something for me
« on: 13 August 2009, 07:38 »
At the end of every journey I can hear a faint hissing comming from the front of the engine....does it every time for a few minutes then stops (no, it's not the tyres  :wink:) ...I do run the Climatronic on all the time..

just want to make sure it's not something only my car is doing before I trek over to the dealer once again...

Offline gossa

• I live here
Re: anyone with a mk 6 check something for me
« Reply #1 on: 13 August 2009, 07:41 »
never noticed it on mine, can you hear it from the 'cockpit'?

Offline adw555

• Here all the time
« Reply #2 on: 13 August 2009, 07:49 »
no, noticed it the day I picked it up as I was down at the front wheels checking what pressures the dealer had put in the tyres (typically 44...way too high!) and noticed it then...you have to either pop the bonnet or stick your ear down near the front wheel arch ..and the engine turned off. I just presumed it was some sort of pressure being released.
« Last Edit: 13 August 2009, 07:58 by adw555 »

Offline adw555

• Here all the time
« Reply #3 on: 13 August 2009, 20:38 »
Think it might be the after-run coolant pump...supposed to prevent damage to the turbo bearings after shut off.

Offline dubcruiser

• I live here
  • Audi A3 SB S-Line 2.0T Quattro 2007
« Reply #4 on: 13 August 2009, 21:21 »
Sounds normal to me... Our Audi makes weird and wonderful noises after switch off. As you say there is a pump that runs for 20ish seconds after the engine is switched off...
Scott

Golf GTi 180bhp 6 Speed 2003, Tornado Red, Electric Sunroof, Climatronic, Winter Pack, Black Leather, Santa Monica Alloys, Centre Arm Rest, 6 Disc Changer, R-Tech Remap (Now Sold)
Audi A3 Sportback S-Line 2.0T Quattro 2007, Lava Grey, Exclusive Line Black/Silver Leather, Heated Seats, Bose, RNS-e, Auto Lights, Auto Wipers, iPod Prep, Interior Light Pack

Offline DL

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #5 on: 13 August 2009, 21:27 »
Don't worry its completely normal. Most turbo and high performance engines pop, hiss and make metallic noises as they cool down.

Offline FroGTI

• I live here
  • Wheel nut
« Reply #6 on: 14 August 2009, 06:35 »
When I was swapping the headlight bulbs the other day, I kept having to switch the ignition on and off to check the bulbs were working properly and there were all sorts of hisses and whirring noises coming from the engine for about 5 seconds each timme. It sounded to me as if the computer was switching things on and off and generally getting ready for me to actually start the engine.