Author Topic: Octavia vRS vs Mk 8 Golf GTI  (Read 11356 times)

Offline CarbonGTD

• Not said much yet
Octavia vRS vs Mk 8 Golf GTI
« on: 30 November 2020, 13:52 »
Please someone put me straight if I have any of this incorrect, but at a quick look this morning it seems like the new Skoda Octavia vRS 245PS petrol comes with 19 inch alloys as standard (not 18s like the Mk 8 Golf GTI) plus it seems to have physical buttons on the steering wheel (not stupid shiny plastic swipe pads) and even has two gas struts to hold the bonnet up?? Plus is circa £4k cheaper list?  I have all this wrong, right?

Offline Guzzle

• I live here
Re: Octavia vRS vs Mk 8 Golf GTI
« Reply #1 on: 30 November 2020, 14:11 »
You are correct. There are some swings and roundabouts on spec though. For example vRS doesn't get the heated steering wheel or travel assist, which are both standard on the GTi.

Having said that though, I do think the vRS is better value for money than the GTi. It's only the petrol where there is a big difference in list price. The diesel and hybrid versions are more closely priced. 
7.5 GTD

Offline Guzzle

• I live here
« Reply #2 on: 02 December 2020, 00:13 »
Autogefuhl video review of the Octavia vRS here. Looks like it has similar traits to the GTi.

i.e.Thomas doesn't like the touchscreen or the harder ride.

https://youtu.be/AiY67TQr0PM
7.5 GTD

Offline CarbonGTD

• Not said much yet
« Reply #3 on: 02 December 2020, 12:39 »
Good spot Guzzle - thanks for posting link

Offline Exonian

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #4 on: 02 December 2020, 13:02 »
Just sat watching Thomas in his pimp suit driving the vRS now myself.
I’m not sold on the exterior of the Octy but it’d probably look loads better with some different wheels. At least it doesn’t look as divisive as a mk8 but more in keeping with that car’s more conservative target market.
The interior detailing looks really nice however.
‘23 8R
Serial white Golf owner

Offline Guzzle

• I live here
« Reply #5 on: 02 December 2020, 13:23 »
Yeah the wheels in the video are non-standard 18 inch wheels from a lower spec model. In the UK we get these 19's as standard

There's also a more interesting choice of colours for the vRS than what VW offers for the GTi.
7.5 GTD

Offline Exonian

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #6 on: 02 December 2020, 13:31 »
Ahh, that looks loads better and dare I say it maybe even an improvement on its handsome predecessor.
I particularly like the front end unlike its German hatchback cousin...

‘23 8R
Serial white Golf owner

Offline SRGTD

• I live here
« Reply #7 on: 02 December 2020, 13:38 »
Ahh, that looks loads better and dare I say it maybe even an improvement on its handsome predecessor.
I particularly like the front end unlike its German hatchback cousin...

I’m with you on the Octavia VRS looks Exonian. To me, it looks quite Audi-esque from the rear, and unlike the mk8 Golf, the Octavia gets two gas struts for the bonnet too :smiley:.
2020 Polo GTI Plus; Pure White, DSG (because they all are)
Gone but not forgotten;
2016 Polo GTI; Blue Silk
2011 mk6 Golf GTD; Carbon Grey
2007 mk5 Golf GT (2.0 170bhp TDI version); Deep Black Pearl
2002  mk4 Golf GTI (the 150 bhp diesel version); Deep Black Pearl

Offline Guzzle

• I live here
« Reply #8 on: 02 December 2020, 13:43 »
I've not had chance to sit in the new model yet, but the interior quality does seem a step up on the Mk3 vRS I had before my 7.5 Golf. Whereas VW and Audi quality looks like it's heading in the opposite direction  :nerd:

The Octavia also has the tray in the dashboard under the headlight switch that's been omitted from the Golf Mk8. No daft swiping on the steering wheel either; proper buttons 👍
7.5 GTD

Offline Exonian

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #9 on: 02 December 2020, 14:29 »
I had a quick look at one of the first new A3’s to arrive at dealerships back in the summer and was surprised at the level of quality (or lack of) when I spotted it by chance after having had to pop into VW which was just across the road.
My son then took one out on test drive and subsequently ordered one to lease. Like the Mercedes Megane (sorry, A Class) I think that’s the target audience now, millennials sucked in by the badge.

The Skoda has to earn its sales volumes fighting against the trendy badges so is surprisingly good quality even if not the bargain it once was. And I think that’s smart marketing being cheaper but not cheap yet well built and well appointed, aimed at a different (more mature) clientele.

Goes to show VW group *can* still do it if they want to.
‘23 8R
Serial white Golf owner