Author Topic: Interior Wetness ....what to check  (Read 38102 times)

Offline Len

• 10k hero
  • Guardian of the Seas, Protector of Waves
Re: Help - WET Carpet
« Reply #20 on: 15 May 2007, 10:22 »
Oh well thats O.K.
When mine got sodden it took days to dry out. :angry:

(my problem was the scuttle and main air intake/pollen filter)
Mystic Blue Mk3 16v + Black Mk5 Gti 05 plate + Peugeot 405 Mi16

www.sas.org.uk
www.the-ace.org.uk

Offline monkeyalan

• I live here
« Reply #21 on: 15 May 2007, 11:43 »
at least all this is happening in warmish weather or you'd be dealing with a skating rink.  :laugh:

Offline percymon

• Here all the time
« Reply #22 on: 15 May 2007, 22:12 »
Tonights chapter (i should write a book on this lol!!)...

Wipers removed, scuttle plastic removed and other than maybe a dozen dry leaves nothing much else to see - drain holes to both front wings clear.   So undersealed round the bonnet release cable grommet (looked OK anyway), two screw studs either side of the ecu, and a small 10mm rubber plug to the passenger side of the ecu, plus a large 25mm x 50mm rectangular rubber plug in the florr section of the scuttle area (drivers side of the ecu).

Removed drivers side front mudflap and wheel arch liner - the drain area behind the mudflap was completey filled with damp mud, twigs, leaves etc - about 70mm deep, drain slot therefore completely blocked.  Cleared all this out, refitted arch liner and mudflap.

Despite my garden sprinkler exercise last night not showing any signs of leakage at the floorpan i was a little suspicious of the two rubber plugs in the drivers side rear footwell - i'd undersealed over these on Saturday, but the surrounding metal looked a little fragile in places.  So cleaned off the underseal, remioved the rubber plugs and found some corrosion around the rubber plugs - prepped area and then glass fibred over the previously plugged area and the surrounding perforated metalwork. Once i've undersealed these repairs the rear footwell will probably be the best bit of the car, so one less area for water to be getting in.

I tried to have a look above the fuse/relay box - i've release the two plastic swing clips holding the fuse and relay holder, but i can't fully release the box from the metal bracket/hook on the passenger side of the box - any ideas how to release the fuse/relay box and therefore move it out of the way ?????.

Despite this, i managed to get my hand to the right of the box, followed the bonnet release cable to a point where i think i was touching more sound deadening on the underside of the scuttle.  To the right of the cable is another section of sound deadening, the rubberised side resting against the bonnet cable.  The felt side of this is wet :(   (my best description of its location is that the felt side must be touching the metalwork of the A pillar / corner of the passenger cell).

Now i guess there is a possibility that if water was tracking down the bonnet cable it might possibly be 'wiped' by the top  edge of this section of sound insulation and then get onto the felt side - right or wrong ??. However the bonnet cable runs on the rubberised side of this sound deadening for the majority of its length so i think this unlikely.

I haven't been able to view the point where the engine cable loom passes through the bulkhead (ie below the brake master cylinder) - this will need the front end on ramps to view from below  :undecided: :undecided:   A job for tomorrow night !!

One last point (you all still with me lol!!) - the bottom edge of the windscreen is whitening across its entire length (ie some water ingress between the laminates) - at its worst point it extends up to 40mm in from the bottom edge (still within the black coloured surround).  Is there any chance the windscreen seal could also be failing in the bottom corner near the drivers side A pillar  ????

Await further instructions !!!!   :grin: :grin: :grin:
« Last Edit: 15 May 2007, 22:17 by percymon »

Offline bored_Welsh_lad

• I live here
« Reply #23 on: 16 May 2007, 08:18 »
well ive got it in the rear footwell on a 3dr and i dont have a sunroof!!
Mk3 Golf Gti:Full Milltek system and Decat,K&N filter,mk2 Cam,-1.5 degree camber shims, borbet a's, toyo proxies,hot tuning coils, brembo vented discs, greenstuff pads...Soon to have Eaton Power

mk3 16v 5dr Gti,mintex extreme pads,drilled/grooved discs,lowered,cat back powerflow system,omp panel filter with modified airbox,debadged grill, started prep for spraying, lots to come :D

Bumper Vents :D

Offline percymon

• Here all the time
« Reply #24 on: 16 May 2007, 08:55 »
well ive got it in the rear footwell on a 3dr and i dont have a sunroof!!

I'd have a look at the rubber bungs in the floorpan then - if its like my 5 door then you will have 2 of them located near the rear of the floorpan (about 10" ahead of the rear wheels) - if the underseal has broken around these then youwill no doubt have soem fragile metal around them.  You might get away with just undersealing the, but inside the cabin the bungs are beneath a bonded sound deadened sheet which you will have to cut away around the bungs - its likely you'll have water under this bonded sheet too, so allow time for it to dry out.

Offline Len

• 10k hero
« Reply #25 on: 16 May 2007, 09:17 »
percymon mate this is facinating! Keep it up.

www.sas.org.uk
www.the-ace.org.uk

Offline bored_Welsh_lad

• I live here
« Reply #26 on: 16 May 2007, 10:00 »
Yeah ill have to whack her up on the ramps in the motorclub and have a gander under her... its only since we had torrencial rain. So im hoping that maybe a door seal was not seated correctly
Mk3 Golf Gti:Full Milltek system and Decat,K&N filter,mk2 Cam,-1.5 degree camber shims, borbet a's, toyo proxies,hot tuning coils, brembo vented discs, greenstuff pads...Soon to have Eaton Power

mk3 16v 5dr Gti,mintex extreme pads,drilled/grooved discs,lowered,cat back powerflow system,omp panel filter with modified airbox,debadged grill, started prep for spraying, lots to come :D

Bumper Vents :D

Offline percymon

• Here all the time
« Reply #27 on: 16 May 2007, 11:35 »
Yeah ill have to whack her up on the ramps in the motorclub and have a gander under her... its only since we had torrencial rain. So im hoping that maybe a door seal was not seated correctly

you can see the rubber bungs i'm talking about without a ramp - you might need a mirror to see the other side of them fully.

Don't assume that the front footwell is dry either - i did that, but the insulation under the front carpet is different to the rear - the rear is just felt, the front is felt with rubberised backing so the carpet sits against the rubberised surface and doesn't permeate through as easily.

Len - i'm trying to keep it up   :laugh: :laugh:

Offline Len

• 10k hero
« Reply #28 on: 16 May 2007, 12:20 »
Thankfully i never have any problems on that front! :grin:

www.sas.org.uk
www.the-ace.org.uk

Offline Len

• 10k hero
« Reply #29 on: 16 May 2007, 12:31 »
Having spent a bit of time under the car recently I must say that I was surprised at how many holes there are in the floor filled with the grommets.
Makes ya wonder why they are there.
So I can appreciate the problems you are having in trying to source this leak.

www.sas.org.uk
www.the-ace.org.uk