Author Topic: Boat Yard Dubs, Project ABF!  (Read 19736 times)

Offline bamfish89

• Not said much yet
Re: Boat Yard Dubs, Project ABF!
« Reply #10 on: 26 January 2013, 22:31 »
8 days to go  :grin: :grin: :grin: :grin: ,better get your ar$e in early connor, cheers for the pics btw  :wink:

U know I dont do early  :wink: lol or lates  :grin:. No probs I fort that wud be the easiest way.

Offline BISSONE

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #11 on: 26 January 2013, 22:48 »
Cool man liking this! How cum u dont want the PAS? Cant be a bad thing to keep.

Offline bamfish89

• Not said much yet
« Reply #12 on: 27 January 2013, 10:31 »
Ive never had a car with power steering and all the cars ive drove with power steering I didnt like. I just dosent feel connected woth the road. I like the feed back u get when its just u and the road.

Offline bamfish89

• Not said much yet
« Reply #13 on: 27 January 2013, 22:17 »
Day 2

ok so i was back in work today working on the mk3.
today i wanted to have the engine out with the gearbox, driveshafts, hubs, suspension, brakes and the subframes all off together in one peice. i had the use of a fork lift so the plan was to lift the body of the car rather than try to wrestle all that out of the car.

used the fork lift to suppost the car so i could crack all the subframe nuts off.

then lowered it back down on some wood and strapped the fork lift to the chassis legs. the guy is my mate cottiss. his bora was converted from a 2.0 to a 1.8T at the boat yard too. he came to lend a hand today.

it took me ages trying to get the exhaust manifold off those 6 bolt are a rite pain. i got the three closest to the block off but there was no room to get the three the bulkhead side off. in the end i just cut through the exhaust just behind the lamba sensor. i planned to leave the steering rack hanging in place so i just undid the track rod ends and the four bolts under the car.

started lifting the car off the subframe.

it wudent come off very well so i drove the forklift farward a little while my mate relesed the handbrake so the car moved back a bit and it started to come apart, the only thig was the exhaust manifold was geting caught on the rack. but because it was forward a bit i managed to get a rachet it and remove the down pipe as i could now reach the three bolts.

then it just lifted off a treat we rolled the car back some more and that was it for today. not to bad for a sunday me thinks

cheers for reading!!  :smiley:
« Last Edit: 27 January 2013, 22:18 by bamfish89 »

Offline Screech16v

• I live here
  • MK3 20vt AGU
« Reply #14 on: 27 January 2013, 22:29 »
Nice work there connor ,love it when theres a conversion in progress at work,keep going,see you in the morning  :wink:

Offline Diamond Hell

• Serious forum addict
  • Opinions я Us
« Reply #15 on: 28 January 2013, 09:43 »
The non-PAS rack has more turns lock to lock than the PAS rack.  You'd be a fool to leave it in.  You'd also need to figure out the right assembly of bits to fit up for the right length track rods etc with the G3 control arms et al.

You'll need the UJ from the PAS  set up on the G3 to bolt up the PAS from the G3 to the G2.  I *think* the column above that is the same although possibly not because your car is pre-90 spec.

Rear beam should bolt up, but you WILL need to use the compensator on it as you have much more powerful rear discs instead of drums on it.  No one likes doing an emergency stop and having the back end come round on them because it's locked up because they didn't think they needed a compensator.  Ask LazyLunatic for further details on that.
Just because you're offended doesn't make you right.

Holiday cottages on the Isle of Wight for 2-10 people? PM me.

Offline bamfish89

• Not said much yet
« Reply #16 on: 28 January 2013, 11:31 »
The non-PAS rack has more turns lock to lock than the PAS rack.  You'd be a fool to leave it in.  You'd also need to figure out the right assembly of bits to fit up for the right length track rods etc with the G3 control arms et al.

You'll need the UJ from the PAS  set up on the G3 to bolt up the PAS from the G3 to the G2.  I *think* the column above that is the same although possibly not because your car is pre-90 spec.

i dont quite understand what your saying about the rack? i dont want power steering so why wud i need the uj from the power steering rack? carnt i just use a mk2 golf rack with the mk3 track rods and ends?

thanks for the info on the axel ill be taking that out today hopefully with all the loom and other things needed.

Offline bamfish89

• Not said much yet
« Reply #17 on: 28 January 2013, 11:33 »
oh yeah and as the engine sits on the pics with the subframe all on still. will all of that just bolt up to my mk2? or do i have to remover some bits? any info would be great on that.

Right better get to it then!

hear goes day 3!

Offline Wayne

• Sir Postalot
« Reply #18 on: 28 January 2013, 13:27 »
Loosks a good project, you would be better to run PAS if you can.

Offline Diamond Hell

• Serious forum addict
  • Opinions я Us
« Reply #19 on: 28 January 2013, 22:09 »
Why wouldn't you want power steering and a quicker rack?  The manual rack has no benefit.  I've driven manual-rack Golfs and they're tiresome because the rack needs so many turns lock to lock.  If the back end lets go you are much less likely to catch it without power steering.

I would also suggest that the non-PS rack is a different width to the PS rack, so you will have a tough job figuring out what track rods and ends to fit to it for the tracking to be adjusted into where it should be.

As previously - only an idiot would keep the manual steering.
Just because you're offended doesn't make you right.

Holiday cottages on the Isle of Wight for 2-10 people? PM me.